The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Torino Weight?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Torino Weight?
    Posted: 03-December-2010 at 12:16PM
Has anyone weighed their 72 MY Torino on some high quality race scales? And happen to have corner weights?

I'm interested to know how much one weighs as done on modern scales. Not that interested in GVW's, Ford's figures, or magazine weights - I'd like to hear some actual weights people have on their cars and the configuration. I wish I'd taken a few minutes to corner weight mine before I took it apart, but that is water under the bridge.
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 2:51PM
To my knowledge, no one on here has done that, my cousin with the race shop {when he was racing} could have probably put my car on a set of scales had I bothered to ask.
Are you thinking about changing out to coil overs on all 4 corners?

I had a discussion a long time back with a few guys on ford muscle, about using standard 5" ID springs and spacer cups {Not totally like say a hobby stock car would use}, but it would have allowed use of of standard racing springs, and retained a factory type shock mount, provided you welded in the spring cup.
I've had a pair of weld in cups from Southwest Speed for some time now, but never used them.

Sorry, got off the topic at hand. Thinking more of adjusting the bias around, using weight jacks, etc for better balance.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 3:11PM
ME TOO!

Would love to know!
It would help with spring rate decisions.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 3:13PM
yes andy, that is my thoughts too.

cheap redily available race springs in all different rates and heights

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 12:42AM
There are inexpensive springs available in whatever rate/height you need - www.coilsprings.com.  I had some custom fronts made (two sets actually) at 650 and 850 in/lb rates and got the car sitting well and handling set on the right path.  I read that coil spring thread on the site, but those rate mentioned are, in my opinion, far too soft for my tastes in roll control and stiffness. Each pair of springs in rate/length I defined was about $160, not too bad.

Anyhow, no, I'm not thinking of going to coilovers - yet. I'm fairly convinced I can get it to handle well with springs (covered), shocks (have to have some made, these things that come for muscle car handling kits aren't good), and suspension geometry. The rear is simple - box the lower arms, install a rate adjustable roll bar, put spherical bearings in place of the bushings so the suspension will actually work, not bind up, and add an axle locating device such as a panhard or watts. That should improve it greatly.

Front isn't nearly as easy. The spring sits in the middle of the arm which sort of stinks for actual rate.  I'll need to fab an adjustable roll bar. Need to figure out something with those tension rods to make them float properly, either poly or spherical bushings, and then get the caster and camber set to make the most of it. I *think* that will get the car handling well but we'll see.

As to corner weights I image they will come out pretty good L/R. What I don't know about is the F/R balance. I'm already doing a center trunk mount battery and have used as much aluminum in the motor as possible as well as gone to modern AC & PS pumps, plus ally brackets and hardware. Beyond that, there won't be any extras in front of the car and an anticipate it being fairly bare up there. We shall see.
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 2:48PM
On the thoughts of spring rates, my buddy Steve is building a 74 Montego MX coupe for a Wood Brothers clone. Him and his son had been driving that car, and a 1972 GT Montego, both 351c 2v setups.

Front springs, they have been running up front around 850-1000 pound inch, but they are a shorter spring, for use with the cup spacers.
Out back I was cautioned against running too high a rate of a spring, no more than say 160-200 pound rate for a street car. I am honestly a bit vague, but I think it's a matter to do with the steering rate on a factory box. 
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 2:57PM
overall weight on mine was around 3900lbs (dont remeber exact) per the scales at the race track.  72 sport, 351cj, 4 speed, buckets, console, factory rear sway bar,  factory 4 speaker am/fm stereo, non a/c, powersteering, power brakes, spare tire and jack in trunk, original 14" chrome magnums. factory manifolds and exhaust. and about 1/2 tank of gas.
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 6:14PM
This link has all curb weights hope it helps , scrol down

1973 Q code sports roof
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 6:46PM
Kenneth,
he is looking for the ACTUAL corner weights.

How much does the right rear, left rear, right front, left front actually weigh on the scale?

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2010 at 11:09AM
The 1972 gts 429 torino could weigh up to 4200 lbs that is equiped with everything.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2010 at 1:40PM
I think the answer to the original question is NOPE!

Seeing how everyone keeps posting curb, gross, overall and magazine numbers

and NOT the individual wheel weights from scales.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2010 at 1:51PM
Well, as soon as I get this behemoth reassembled I'll post them up. 
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2010 at 5:31AM

I don't know L/R but my '76 with 545/AL heads/WP/Intake/rad, all bumper support hardware removed (replaced with 2x1/4 AL flat stock) and battery in the trunk was 4270 with about 2440 on the front wheels..

Jim

Edited by JimW - 06-December-2010 at 5:36AM
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 12:56PM
Originally posted by JimW JimW wrote:

I don't know L/R but my '76 with 545/AL heads/WP/Intake/rad, all bumper support hardware removed (replaced with 2x1/4 AL flat stock) and battery in the trunk was 4270 with about 2440 on the front wheels..

Jim

That actually isn't as bad as I would have estimated. thats like 57/43, fr%/rear% I know my 72 torino is not near to that balance but I ain't racing my car so I like the confident rear power-slide action...  Now, I wonder how that would change minus the unsprung weight???

Thanks, Good info
-Billy Conturo
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 11:48AM

Put my 73 Montego GT on the scales today (at a local landscape supply place).......4400 pounds total.  Don't have corner weights for you though.  Car has 429/C6, A/C, power steering/brakes, bench seat, manual windows.

interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 7:06PM
I know this is not the 1972 model year torino. It is at least how heavy the torinos did get. My 1974 ford torino 460PI ,A/C power windows & seat with all H/D parts . Was weighed in at 4575 lbs. My 76 wagon 351M no potions was also weighed at the same salavage yard . Get this weight 4700 lbs. My car that weighed the most 78 ford ltd wagon 460 P/W and rear discs ,5247 lbs. They really got heavy in the 70's.
stevelap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2011 at 8:26PM
Hi,Steve here-new member but Torino owner/lover for quite a while.Just thought I'd post the weight my car comes in at-I work for the state police here(as a mechanic)and I asked one of the "Truck Team "guys to weigh her.Their scales are quite accurate.
 L.F.:1200/R.F.:1100/L.R.:900/R.R.:900  1972 Gran Torino Sport/sportsroof
                                                               429/C6(p.s./no a.c.)
                                                                15"Magnums
                                                                full fuel tank/without driver.
Hope this helps.SteveLap.
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2011 at 6:50PM

Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

There are inexpensive springs available in whatever rate/height you need - www.coilsprings.com.  I had some custom fronts made (two sets actually) at 650 and 850 in/lb rates and got the car sitting well and handling set on the right path.  I read that coil spring thread on the site, but those rate mentioned are, in my opinion, far too soft for my tastes in roll control and stiffness. Each pair of springs in rate/length I defined was about $160, not too bad.

Anyhow, no, I'm not thinking of going to coilovers - yet. I'm fairly convinced I can get it to handle well with springs (covered), shocks (have to have some made, these things that come for muscle car handling kits aren't good), and suspension geometry. The rear is simple - box the lower arms, install a rate adjustable roll bar, put spherical bearings in place of the bushings so the suspension will actually work, not bind up, and add an axle locating device such as a panhard or watts. That should improve it greatly.

Front isn't nearly as easy. The spring sits in the middle of the arm which sort of stinks for actual rate.  I'll need to fab an adjustable roll bar. Need to figure out something with those tension rods to make them float properly, either poly or spherical bushings, and then get the caster and camber set to make the most of it. I *think* that will get the car handling well but we'll see.

As to corner weights I image they will come out pretty good L/R. What I don't know about is the F/R balance. I'm already doing a center trunk mount battery and have used as much aluminum in the motor as possible as well as gone to modern AC & PS pumps, plus ally brackets and hardware. Beyond that, there won't be any extras in front of the car and an anticipate it being fairly bare up there. We shall see.

Your comments are exactly what I was thinking...

Springs:  850 lbs/in for the front and approx 200-225 lbs/in for the rear

Regarding the rear suspension:  Poly bushings appear to cause suspension bind under compression.   The lower rear trailing arm, since mounted toward the outter edge of the car, will have a compound motion as it compresses.   Not just the verical, but also rotate.  I was looking for a way to install spherical bushings in the lower arms.   I'm having some difficultly finding the spherical bushings for the rear arms.  

Can you point me to your source for the bushings?  
Did you just use poly for the top arms and spherical for the lower?

-John
1973 GTS
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2011 at 1:49AM
I'm thinking higher rates will have to be used now, maybe 975 front at 350is rear. But, I need to scale the car with all the parts on (hood is missing now and bumper) to estimate.

Rear suspension - I have poly bushings in there now and I ran the suspension through the range of travel without the springs or shocks and I had no bind. Up and down it was 100% fine, no binding. 

BUT, and big but, this was static on the lift and not with any side load. It might very well bind up while side loaded and compressed. So until it is driving I can't make the decision on how to handle the rear, hence the poly bushings for now.

I hope to get some real data soon, ie drive this thing, and figure out what to do. If sphericals are needed I know of no source but they aren't hard to make if you have a lathe. Select the proper spherical bearing and then machine sleeves to hold it captive in the arm. 

BTW, I did get some Bilsteins re-valved for the weight and estimated springs so the car is wearing those now. You might want to look into that as well. Stiff springs but wet noodle KYB or other "muscle car" shock isn't going to work well as a secondary dampener.
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2011 at 2:35AM
Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

I hope to get some real data soon, ie drive this thing, and figure out what to do. If sphericals are needed I know of no source but they aren't hard to make if you have a lathe. Select the proper spherical bearing and then machine sleeves to hold it captive in the arm. 

BTW, I did get some Bilsteins re-valved for the weight and estimated springs so the car is wearing those now. You might want to look into that as well. Stiff springs but wet noodle KYB or other "muscle car" shock isn't going to work well as a secondary dampener.

Driving it is the only way.

I run the following:
-PST poly bushings all around
-PST anti-sway bars front and rear
-Boxed lower control arms (did this myself with sheet metal and a welder)
-Three way adjustable circle track shocks. (set x-firm front and normal rear)
-Stock springs with 2/3 of a coil cold cut from the front.  The rears are clamped to lower ride hieght.

All this combines to work pretty darn well.  Just a little loose (understeer) on high speed sweepers at the extreme limit, and a little tight (oversteer) on slow speed tight turns.  The slow speed push probably has more to do with my driving as I didn't drive into the corner deep enough.  Very little body roll in the corners.  The car very predictable and controlled.  The rear end never steps out unexpectedly and there are no signs of the suspension binding up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2011 at 3:04AM
This is helpful...thanks.   Didn't mean to derail the thread.   I'll start a new one.   Road/Track Suspension Discussion...
-John
1973 GTS
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2011 at 10:31AM
'72 4 door, no hood, wheels/tires, radiator, bumper and some small trim. 3840lbs.
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 2:53AM
Clarification:

Tight = front end plough = understeer

Loose = tail happy = oversteer
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 5:44AM
Hmm. Wonder where tire smoking, side stepping the clutch, little old lady in a honda screaming "Slow the F DOOOWWNNN!!" sliding sideways through an intersection falls?
I'll consider that "Happy medium".
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2011 at 4:48AM
no news for the weight?
I'm putting my brain together for my new torino, and i'd like to get around 53/47 balance.
I need to know how much weight the 72 and i will adjust weight for the 73.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2011 at 5:13AM
What we really need is the sprung and unsprung weight for each corner.

I found some suspension calculators, book, and equations to help calculate spring rates, sway bar thickness, etc.

What I have found the car is about 4200lbs

Roughly the distribution looks like:
LF: 1300    RF:  1300

LR: 800     RR:  800

This not accurate just a rough estimate from info I found searching the web.   It doesn't take into account weight shift due to the battery, driver, etc.   I think its close though.   I would like some confirmation from others that I'm in the ballpark.   I also need some guessimates on the unsprung weight.

-John
-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply