The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72-79 NEW Instrument cluster insert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2016 at 7:30PM
Originally posted by Regul8r 2 Regul8r 2 wrote:

Originally posted by mlachance112785 mlachance112785 wrote:

I used these for indicators on mine. I wasn't a fan of the generic plain light. These look/work nice. 

no picture?

Having trouble finding a good picture of them in the car. I'll take one tomorrow. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2016 at 11:25AM
I used something very similar on my Malibu long ago.
Green for directional, red for warning lights, blue for high-beams, and yellow for I forget what else...
Oh, I also reversed the left and right directional when working out my harness, so left came on for right, and vice versa.

Edited by Big Bird - 29-March-2016 at 11:29AM
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2016 at 2:33PM
Those lights are nice.

I just got the lights in today and look like they will be just fine.

Have to hook one up and see how bright.

with our cars being fairly simple just the colors will work.

Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2016 at 3:53PM
LED indicators came in today.
VERY impressed with their construction.

Will hook them up to check brightness tomorrow.

as promised they sent me a bag of samples and goodies to see what I liked and what else they have that I could use on this project.

Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2016 at 10:23AM
Gages ordered today from Summit!

Equus, 2" Fuel, Volt, Oil Press (elec) and Water Temp(elec).
Equus, 3 3/8" Tach and 160 Speedo

All are the white face aluminum bezels.
The 2" gages are all 90degree swings.
Not sure what I want to do in the 5th hole or maybe even a 6th hole on MY dash yet so I saved the $50 by not ordering the Clock, Trans Temp, or Wide Band O2 gage yet. We'll see about that later!

Edited by Regul8r 2 - 01-April-2016 at 10:28AM
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2016 at 1:38PM
I was just looking at those Equus gauges today, along with others.  I was leaning toward mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges (and speedo).  They have those Dolphin 6 gauge sets for about the same money as the Equus gauges.  I wonder if they're decent quality?  But the speedo is electric.  What are the pros and cons of mechanical vs electric speedos?  Especially when it comes to install.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2016 at 3:17PM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

I was just looking at those Equus gauges today, along with others.  I was leaning toward mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges (and speedo).  They have those Dolphin 6 gauge sets for about the same money as the Equus gauges.  I wonder if they're decent quality?  But the speedo is electric.  What are the pros and cons of mechanical vs electric speedos?  Especially when it comes to install.

The reason I went with the electric over mechanical is to have a complete replacement dash for these cars that is all cut and splice electric set up using the factory wiring.
No weird looking coiled temp line or plastic oil line that you have to route through a  hole in the dash and then have to try and make looks nice etc...

Pull your dash, cut your cluster connector off and crimp the provided multi-pin connector and wires then plug and go!

russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2016 at 9:05PM
I believe the electric speedometers need a sending unit attached to the trans. If I could get another one I think I would go with the GPS type. I still haven't crawled under the car to change the speedometer cable to fit the Equus speedometer I am using.

I used the Equus gauges as well, only I got the 120mph mechanical speedometer. Car will never come close to that, much less 160. I like the slightly better accuracy (for me) of being able to tell the speed I am going when in between numbers. Probably just a psychological thing, but that's what I want.
I also have the boost gauge as my fifth, but it along with the oil pressure have yet to be connected. The gas gauge bounces around like crazy when the tank is less than 3/4 full, but that may be the sending unit. Not sure.

I would have preferred going with SW or some other name brand, but money was the deciding factor for me.

Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2016 at 9:09PM

Originally posted by Regul8r 2 Regul8r 2 wrote:

I used these for indicators on mine. I wasn't a fan of the generic plain light. These look/work nice. 

no picture?

Having trouble finding a good picture of them in the car. I'll take one tomorrow. 

Dang, I wish I had known about these before I did mine. I would replace what I have with these now, but the holes I drilled are way too big. Ouch

Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2016 at 9:25PM
I'm very interested to see how you work it out to use the stock face plate over the gauges. I like the factory look, but with real gauges.

This sounds like a much simpler approach than the one I did that involved cutting the white piece. I never thought of this way when I was doing mine. And the fifth gauge doesn't sit right even after all the work I did on it. Been wanting to redo that ever since I called it done.

Are you thinking about selling just the dash piece without the gauges/wiring for those of us who already have them, or will it only be the completed panel?

Thanks,
Russ
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2016 at 11:08PM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

I believe the electric speedometers need a sending unit attached to the trans. If I could get another one I think I would go with the GPS type. I still haven't crawled under the car to change the speedometer cable to fit the Equus speedometer I am using.

I used the Equus gauges as well, only I got the 120mph mechanical speedometer. Car will never come close to that, much less 160. I like the slightly better accuracy (for me) of being able to tell the speed I am going when in between numbers. Probably just a psychological thing, but that's what I want.
I also have the boost gauge as my fifth, but it along with the oil pressure have yet to be connected. The gas gauge bounces around like crazy when the tank is less than 3/4 full, but that may be the sending unit. Not sure.

I would have preferred going with SW or some other name brand, but money was the deciding factor for me.

Russ

That is correct, an electric speedo requires a pulse generator at either 8 or 16hz depending on the model. I'm running an Autometer GPS speedo which is a far better option, plug in a few wires, no crawling under the car, no need to mess with speedo teeth or worry about speed being out when you change tyre size

Press one button to calibrate the GPS sender once the gauge is connected up and thats it. I'm running all Autometer as I personally think they're the best out there alongside Stack. If I was to change I'd go full digital so I can monitor a few other things 

Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2016 at 2:40AM

The gas gauge bounces around like crazy when the tank is less than 3/4 full, but that may be the sending unit. Not sure. 

Russ
[/QUOTE]

Russ what you are experiencing is what is called the "natural Movement" of the gauge. there is nothing wrong with your sending unit or the gauge. The auto meter gauges in my 74 ranchero do the same thing. I asked a rep from auto meter and that was the explanation they gave me. The factory builds in the "slow movement' for what ever reason.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2016 at 2:49AM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

Dang, I wish I had known about these before I did mine. I would replace what I have with these now, but the holes I drilled are way too big. Ouch

that's what grommets & bushings are for Cool
72 GT Ute

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2016 at 2:55AM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

The gas gauge bounces around like crazy when the tank is less than 3/4 full, but that may be the sending unit. Not sure. 

Russ

Russ what you are experiencing is what is called the "natural Movement" of the gauge. there is nothing wrong with your sending unit or the gauge. The auto meter gauges in my 74 ranchero do the same thing. I asked a rep from auto meter and that was the explanation they gave me. The factory builds in the "slow movement' for what ever reason.
[/QUOTE]

there could be gak or a bad spot on the potentiometer causing the gauge to drop when the contacts lose continuity,
then when the contact makes again the gauge goes back up ... could be ...

Edited by Rockatansky - 02-April-2016 at 2:56AM
72 GT Ute

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2016 at 5:34AM
To use the mechanical Equus speedometer I ordered you have to also order the adapter. They make one for the different makes.
First is a flat plate like you see in the pics.
My plan is to offer
1. Flat plate only
2. Wiring harness
3. COMPLETE flat plate, harness and gages(of your choice) ready for plug and play.
4. or any combination needed
5. Also looking at a plate to go behind the stock face plate, this would come in the options above too.

The electric temp and oil pressure gage sets I bought have the Equus sending units with them too.
So, when you order a complete dash from me they will come with it as well. This alos includes the speedo adapter in a complete kit.

Edited by Regul8r 2 - 02-April-2016 at 5:36AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2016 at 8:28AM
Carl,

What adapter are you talking about for the speedometer? Curious as I didn't need one, but then I am changing the cable to one that screws on to the back instead of the factory slip on. Wasn't by choice, I had ordered a replacement for when I was still keeping the stock stuff, and it came wrong.

Very interested in the plate you are planning to keep the factory face plate. While my setup works, it bugs the crap out of me and I want to redo it without the old white factory hacked up plastic. I would just make one myself, but I don't really have the proper tools to cut larger holes.

I should also have done something to adapt the wiring to the factory harness. Instead I just cut that connector off and rewired all of it. Again, it works, but isn't right.

Thanks,
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2016 at 10:23AM
Carl, any updates? Especially "5. Also looking at a plate to go behind the stock face plate, this would come in the options above too."

I bought a piece of 1/8th inch plywood (nice finish, not the rough stuff. Think it is for cabinets or other things that show) and am going to try to redo my gauges using it to mount them to, and then mount to the face plate. I want to get rid of what's left of my white plastic. If the wood works out then I will eventually use that for a pattern for a sheet metal plate. Unless "someone" has one for sale before that. Big smile

I also bought a wire harness connector so I can have the plate be more easily removable instead of the trailer wire connectors I have on it currently.

I just have to get the courage to tear it all apart now. I should get on it, since I can do this in the house other than taking the current stuff off.

Russ
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2016 at 7:41PM
Just got back in to it FINALLY!

Ordering the colored wiring as we speak.
I have to get this done so I can start and drive her!

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2016 at 7:46PM
Asking again...

Can SOMEONE PLEASE send or post me a few pics of the Wiring diagram from a service manual.

I want to see where the wiring goes from the bulkhead connector through the fuse panel and up to the gage panel.

Looking to make sure I pull some power from proper places not just random powered wires.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2016 at 10:01PM
I bought one of these a while back. Pretty good. Although I didn't get the GT one, so it wasn't exactly correct. I do believe the seller can do the GT type with gauges, but not sure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-72-Ford-Ranchero-Torino-Color-Laminated-Wiring-Diagram-11-X-17-/371760752314?hash=item568eaae6ba:g:HGMAAOSwNphWXarb&vxp=mtr
Best thing is that this has the wire colors "in color" on it, makes it a  lot easier.
My cd copy of the Ford service manual doesn't have the wiring diagram, I believe that Ford had gone to having a separate book for wiring by then.

Russ

Edited by russosborne - 17-October-2016 at 10:02PM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic