The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72-79 NEW Instrument cluster insert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2016 at 10:05PM
This is the factory one,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-MERCURY-MONTEGO-FORD-TORINO-FACTORY-WIRING-DIAGRAMS-MANUAL-SCHEMATIC-SHEETS-/361774565035?hash=item543b71c6ab:g:DzkAAOSw9NdXr9A3&vxp=mtr
it's a bit cheaper but may not be in the best shape.

There are other ones for sale on Ebay right now, I searched specifically for 1972 Ford Torino, but I am sure there are other years available as well.

Russ

Edited by russosborne - 17-October-2016 at 10:07PM
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 8:18AM
those might be a great addition!
May have to look in to getting a complete set if I decide to start making these for people.

right now I just need a copy of someone's service manuals wiring diagrams.

Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 7:57AM
Color coded wires ordered last night.

4-5 manuals bought from E-Bay last night too.
Old Chilton's, a Haynes and a couple other old ones that looked interesting.

The wire connectors all seem to be from China.
So they will take a little time to get here.
looks like I can get 10, 12 and 14 pin water tight connector kits so I can have a couple extra ports to run multiple grounds and still have ports for O2 Sensor gages too.

Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 3:27PM
hey carl, just had a thought...instead of using masonite, after you get this prototype complete you could use HDPE plastic (polyethylene) it's just as easy to work with and will last better than masonite. i know a place online where you can buy it any size and thickness you need Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 5:43PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

hey carl, just had a thought...instead of using masonite, after you get this prototype complete you could use HDPE plastic (polyethylene) it's just as easy to work with and will last better than masonite. i know a place online where you can buy it any size and thickness you need Wink

The Masonite prototype is being converted to steel or aluminum.
I have the angles and the measurements to make the bends in a brake.
I just have to iron out the top of it.
WANT it to be a single piece unit which means I need to do a little work on the top angle, length and shape where it screws in under the dash above the gages.
Metal will allow me to tack weld spacers, or a couple studs to use as mounting points for wire holders, grounds or even junction blocks for multiple wire hook ups.

A nice paint, fabric or even vinyl type covering will allow for total customization and/or color matching.
The metal will ensure it is SOLID not "breakable" for years to come. even repairable IF something should "happen" to it.

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2016 at 10:56AM
A pile of pics... will come back and edit the info later.

New color coded wires...

Gages and LEDs

template and prototype/mock up dash

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2016 at 11:18AM
Wiring...

Separate Tach, Ammeter and Clock wiring harness

8 pin connector only uses 6

14 pin Sport dash connector
Has 14 wires but my dash only uses 12, no Low Vacuum light or what we call the ECONOMY light.

I realized I have to order another wire color!
This double black wire feed is the POWER feed for gages!
I did not see the Green stripe when I first looked.
So when I was writing out my diagram I was confused.
Was like, wait a minute, WHERE are the gages getting their power feed!?
A 2nd look and DUH! The common wire to the gages was/is the power feed that sends through the gages then out to the senders that provide the ground.
WHY IN THE HELL would you run POWER through a BLACK WIRE!!??
And now I have to dig in to a wiring diagram and find where these TWO wires are being fed from?
and WHY 2 wires to a single point??

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2016 at 3:10PM
Interesting project.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2016 at 4:19PM
just ordered a 14 pin connector kit and the Black w/green stripe wire.

Now to start in on the work.

But first, tomorrow I pick up my Powder Coated HEADERS!
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2016 at 2:42AM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

Realized I have to order another wire color!
This double black wire feed is the POWER feed for gages!
I did not see the Green stripe when I first looked.
So when I was writing out my diagram I was confused.
Was like, wait a minute, WHERE are the gages getting their power feed!?
A 2nd look and DUH! The common wire to the gages was/is the power feed that sends through the gages then out to the senders that provide the ground.
WHY IN THE HELL would you run POWER through a BLACK WIRE!!??
And now I have to dig in to a wiring diagram and find where these TWO wires are being fed from?
and WHY 2 wires to a single point??
On a 1973 Torino the "297" black wire with light green stripe and hash marking connects to the accessory fuse terminal on the main fuse box. It also connects to the accessory terminal in the keyed ignition switch in the steering column. It also connects to one terminal on the turn signal flasher, and the other terminal on the turn signal flasher is the "44" light blue wire that connects to the turn/emergency signal switch. The 297 black-light green-hash wire also connects to the windshield wiper/washer switch and the AM/FM radio switch. The 297 black-green-hash wire also connects to the oil pressure, water temperature and fuel gauges, sending units, switches and warning lamps.

The second wire (the plain black wire) that is connected to the same terminal on the instrument cluster connection plug as the 297 black-light green-hash wire, is called the number 48 wire. The person that has the wire diagram cannot find any place that the #48 wire is connected to in the wiring diagram. But if you can trace this #48 plain black wire to at least one accessory or electrical connection point, then he will try to find out more information about it, and he will try to find out where it connects to.

Edited by dave302 - 27-October-2016 at 6:51AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2016 at 2:56AM
The main fuse box is powered by the number 37 yellow wire (it is a main power wire) from the junction block on the firewall. From the junction block on the firewall, the number 37 yellow wire connects to the inner fender mounted starter solenoid. The inner fender mounted starter solenoid is connected to the battery.

I will take a guess and say that the number 48 plain black wire is connected to the "engine run" terminal in the keyed ignition switch on the steering column, so that all of the accessories listed above will operate when the ignition switch is in the engine run position.

Edited by dave302 - 27-October-2016 at 6:49AM
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2016 at 11:05PM
good stuff dave

I will be ordering a set of wiring schematics this week.

All the books I got are great and full of info but do not have the EXACT info I was looking for.
I kind of knew that before hand but, hey you can never have too many cool old Gran Torino books!
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 4:30AM
I had heard someone say that the 1972 and 1973 torinos have a negative grounded tachometer. And the 1974, 1975 and 1976 torinos have a positive grounded tachometer.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 8:27AM

my understanding is that the early style is wired in series between the power source and the coil

then it changed to a signal type wiring, not sure when the break is possibly points / electronic?
72 GT Ute

russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 10:37AM
The 72 tach ( for sure ) is wired in series with the coil. Meaning the car won't start if the tach is disconnected. this makes an excellent place for a hidden kill switch. Wink
I don't know if or when Ford changed that.
Russ
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 10:49AM
While it might be good for a kill switch but YOU are dead if the tach craps out! The 74 ranchero had the same thing and I changed it. So now if the tach stops I don't !  
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 11:10AM
I wired in an inline fuse holder, so if mine quits all i have to do is insert a 30 amp fuse under the dash an go
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 12:19PM
I am using an aftermarket tach which doesn't use that circuit. but I am using the circuit for the kill switch.
Russ
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 11:05PM
the 76 will not start without the tach connected as well.

HOWEVER, I swapped in an HEI distributor and used the RED wire that powered the duraspark system and without using the green HEI Tach feed...my tach works!
It picks up through the power wire.

So when I do this new dash I will be bypassing/connecting/jumping that power feed at the dash tach connector and then using the green tach feed for the aftermarket gage.

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2016 at 11:08PM
got MORE goodies in the mail today.

WIRING DIAGRAMS and other diagrams that came out of a Ford Shop Manual from back in the day!

So, now I have the tools and info I need!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic