The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72-79 NEW Instrument cluster insert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 4:52PM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

The 72 tach ( for sure ) is wired in series with the coil. Meaning the car won't start if the tach is disconnected. this makes an excellent place for a hidden kill switch. Wink
I don't know if or when Ford changed that.
Russ

That I did not know. I'm going to have devise a road side bypass just incase it craps out.

Edited by lynchster - 29-October-2016 at 4:53PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 5:01PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

The 72 tach ( for sure ) is wired in series with the coil. Meaning the car won't start if the tach is disconnected. this makes an excellent place for a hidden kill switch. Wink
I don't know if or when Ford changed that.
Russ

That I did not know. I'm going to have devise a road side bypass just incase it craps out.
chuck, here's what i did... splice in an inline fuse holder to the two wires...if it quits i can stick in a 30 amp fuse that should jump them together Wink

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 7:49PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

chuck, here's what i did... splice in an inline fuse holder to the two wires...if it quits i can stick in a 30 amp fuse that should jump them together Wink

I like it. I'll have to locate where they are split in my car.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2016 at 7:56PM
just connect one side of the fuse holder to one of the tach wires and the other side of the fuse holder to the other tach wire!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2016 at 11:23PM
Carl,

Where did you get the color coded wire? And is it an exact match or just close?

Thanks,
Russ
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 1:44AM

Carl,

Where did you get the color coded wire? And is it an exact match or just close?

Thanks,
Russ

They are not EXACT but, close enough that you can tell the color to color when splicing in the new wires to the old ones.

Once I get it all done I will post vendors and pricing.
This is a venture I am undertaking in order to start my custom parts business for our 72-79 cars.
I have a PILE of other projects to create for our cars that NO ONE ELSE does!

Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 2:07AM
Well, progress has been happening DAILY!
Off work early means time in the garage all this week. I work nights so that means 2am in the garage when I get off early until 5-7am!

I made a poster board template.
then I HAD to see it with the gages and LEDs indicators in it.

Next day I picked up some pieces of metal to see IF the harbor freight sheet metal brake I bought would do what I needed...NOPE!
Here I tried it on THIN sheet aluminum.
I COULD make it work BUT there are issues.
1. as a complete unit it is too big/bulky to install smoothly without scratching the sides of your dash. And IF you do not have a tilt column...NOT HAPPENING!
2. I do NOT like the raw edges of cut metal around the steering wheel and bottom edge of the panel.
3. The bottom stand off bend angles are FAR MORE than I wanted to see! This was in order to make the panel the height needed and yet keep it one piece back to the mounting holes...WRONG, JUST WRONG!
4. Complex bends that IF you do not get EXACT... piece is no good!
5. The thickness of metal needed to make it sturdy is prohibitive to making the bends needed to match this template.

SO...
back to the FIRST plan.
a 2 or 3pc unit.
1 & 2. Face plate with lower stand off mounts
3. upper under dash cover plate
I ordered 3/16" Textured ABS Black plastic to use for the face plate and 1/8" for the upper cover.
The face plate will just need to be template traced, drilled and cut out.
The upper cover ABS will need me to fab up a wood press jig to get the z-bend in it. Template trace, heat up and press the bend in to it.
the lower stand offs will be galvanized or painted steel of even Aluminum. these bends I can make in my brake.

This will allow me and the buyer of future pieces to install the lower standoffs in the FACTORY dash screw holes with provided hardware. Then install the face plate with the provided hardware to the upper 3 factory mount points and to the lower stand offs through the matched drilled holes with provided hardware. Then mount the upper cover and PRESTO!

I also got in the mail my 14 pin connector.
I may be using a different one when I start producing them but for me for now and prototyping it... this works and from what I see, may work just fine for the future too, wee shall see.

so last night I took the face plate and worked out some measurement bugs for the gages...

Tried the gages raised up a little off center line. was doing this to see if it was a better line of sight for a shorter person. Nope, you could see they were "off". Dee who is in the lower 5ft area liked it better ON the center line and even commented how they looked "OFF". coming from her to notice that... YEAH, NO! They must be OFF! lol

Used the poster board cut outs for mock ups.

Tried to make only 4 gages work. NOPE, not the small 2" ones anyway. MAYBE with the 2 5/8 ones they would be better with only 4. 5 pyramid stacked looks best or 6 in 2 rows. When I pyramid stacked them like in the picture I put them 1/8" above or below the centerline. The 6-pack look is 1/4-1/2" above and below the centerline. These dimensions will be adjusted to make them look "right". So, I am thinking of the clock for now. It will also make me do the harness that more people would be interested in it as a for sale piece in the future.

When I ordered the ABS I also bought the matching Equus 8000 Quartz dial clock!

This was taken from where my eyes would be driving. I THINK with some work on spacing I can get the wheel to not interfere with view.

Edited by Regul8r 2 - 06-November-2016 at 2:20AM
Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 2:45AM
Very impressed with this work. Your attention to detail is gonna make this piece really something. The six holer would certainly give more options for different gauges and looks more symmetrical, but the pyramid five stack isn't bad either.

It would be cool if you could continue the look to the climate control panel and radio panel, but that's for another day!

Matt
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 4:53PM
Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

Very impressed with this work. Your attention to detail is gonna make this piece really something. The six holer would certainly give more options for different gauges and looks more symmetrical, but the pyramid five stack isn't bad either.

It would be cool if you could continue the look to the climate control panel and radio panel, but that's for another day!

Matt

In fact, I AM continuing the look!
I am making a new radio blank face plate. It will not have the wording at this point.
It will be a great option to repair previously cut and destroyed radio areas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 5:26PM
carl, yeah i made a 1/8" aluminum plate to fit over the whole lower radio area for my car because it was destroyed Confused
 have you looked at these gauges: i have a tach, volt and oil press.from them in my nissan, they are simple to wire up and they change colors at the push of a button on each gauge Big smile they are 2 1/6" not sure if they have a larger size?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xglow+shift.TRS0&_nkw=glowshift+gauges&_sacat=0

Edited by californiajohnny - 06-November-2016 at 5:27PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 9:42PM
I replaced the two fake Autometer console gauges in my Marauder with the Glowshift gauges, and they look pretty good. Have held up for a year now with no issues, but we'll see over the long run.

The radio plate would look good, incorporated with what your doing, Carl. I haven't switched over to the sport gauges from my standard gauges in the Montego until I see how your project comes out!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 5:47AM
Update...

I did NOT like the single piece metal/Aluminum option.
It is big, cumbersum, can cause scratches in and out, CANNOT be set in place without a tilt wheel tilted all the way down AND the Z-Breaks needed are NOT doable easily by me!

So, I bought some textured Black ABS Plastic sheets.
1/8", 3/16" and 1/4"
3/16 is "OK" but I like the feel and rigidity of the 1/4" so... 1/4" face plate it is then a simple hand made wood press form and heat gun will get the upper/under cover formed to fit.

Just been working so much lately!
This weekend I am getting the inner fender wells installed and get her running again.
She sat and having an issue getting fuel. Pretty sure it is just a stuck float.

I also ordered and received the Quartz clock the other day.
So, ALL parts are in hand...now just to find time!

Pretty sure this will be a VERY viable option for the masses when I am done and simple for me to duplicate, make, sell and ship in all forms of packages.

andyjman83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 10:09AM
Wow, great job bud, count me in. I bought 4 sport clusters in additio. To my original non sport one thats already in the ranchero, and i was planning to do the same thing but had no idea where to start. Great job, its gonna look awesome.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 10:20AM
Im most likely going to get 1 of the painless wiring harnesses that they make to fit our cars now and rewire the whole thing. The wirings in pretty bad shape.
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 7:02PM
Originally posted by andyjman83 andyjman83 wrote:

Im most likely going to get 1 of the painless wiring harnesses that they make to fit our cars now and rewire the whole thing. The wirings in pretty bad shape.

Yeah you could re-wire the whole car.
Still need a connector and a short harness to the dash in order to remove it later for repairs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 5:08AM

I was thinking about using an atx computer power supply extension harness like this and cutting it in half. Ive used them before and they work great, they are 24 pins and have a locking clip on the connector and they are only like 7 bucks on amazon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 5:09AM
Just tuck away the ones you dont need and youll have ample spares
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 5:37AM
looks like a winner, just one thing I'd do is offset the cut down the middle so the splices don't bunch up in a worst case scenario.
short & long they can stagger slightly and not bulk up

solder & shoob (heat shrink tubing) makes for compact connections

23 pins? i see a blank, wouldn't be surprised if some guys max'd it out & need 2

Edited by Rockatansky - 25-November-2016 at 5:38AM
72 GT Ute

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 5:56AM
I already bought a 14 pin connector like that from E-Bay.
I contemplated using the water tight ones but felt as though these open ones would make diagnosing issues in the future easier as you can access the wires with a test light/multimeter.

I have already bought all the correct color wiring to MATCH our cars so it will be an easy cut, match, splice and done.

my plan is to provide the dash, gages, wired in to the connector. All you would have to do is cut your connector off and then crimp the pins on and slip in to the body side of the connector.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2016 at 7:22AM
That would be sweet, will we need to send you a "core" cluster or will you not be needing to use any original parts from them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic