The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 Gran Torino Progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Gran Torino Progress
    Posted: 11-April-2011 at 11:06AM
Well as I have stated in the welcoming portion of the forum, I am Zach and I bought a 73 Gran Torino out of Volant, PA and I live on a farm outside of New Castle PA. Currently I attend California University of PA so money is a little tight ( ain't that the truth for everybody) but am a fairly capable person so this shouldn't be to bad.

The story:
I bought the car off of a man whose back got tore up pretty bad in a work accident, this torino was his first car, he bought it in 1973 right out or high school and drove it was an everyday driver for 7 years (118000 miles) blew up the engine and parked it. (mishap with mechanic not putting oil in engine after oil change) He started restoring it but life caught up to him and his time to work on the car dwindled down to none. Not to long ago he fell off of some scaffolding and collapsed half of the discs in his back. Being a contractor, that put him out of work. He listed the torino in our weekly bargin bulletin and listed it for $900 with lots of good parts.
I called, and came out to look, I told him I could only pay him $500 due to college. He told me I was one of a few guys that had called and I was the guy who offered him the least amount of money for the car, but agreed to sell it to me only because he believe that I was the only person that would actually "finish" the car and not part it out. 

that is the story up to March of 2011.
I'll repost some of the pictures from th welcome thread shortly and continue updating on the thread here.
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
73 Gran Torino H code (H is for HOTROD !!)
72 F code 4-Door
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2011 at 11:16AM
I started working on the car this Saturday, unfortunately the barn that it is currently leaks like a strainer. So I got the car blocked up on cinder blocks, to keep it off of the damp cement, I had my buddy Steve come over (he is currently working on his dads 74 Valient I've been helping him with it for a while) and we got the hood on the car and tore out what was left of the interior short of the head liner and dashboard due to time constraints.
I'll have pictures posted when I grab my camera after I get home this week lol.

While tearing the interior out I found a little bit of paper work under the back seat. Turns out.... its a build sheet Smile !!
As soon as I get a scanner that worksAngry Ill post it up, I'm gonna frame it too lol
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2011 at 11:24AM
Sweet, look forward to watching your progress.

We loveeeeeee pics here..... so cool.

Originally posted by ZCowher ZCowher wrote:

While tearing the interior out I found a little bit of paper work under the back seat. Turns out.... its a build sheet Smile !!
... I'm gonna frame it too lol

hahahaha... Lucky.. I can't even make out the coding in the driver side door jam of my 72GTS.
-Billy Conturo
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2011 at 12:23PM
I have Nos doors and the originals sat outside for a long time, so that was extremely lucky on my part. Ill have some up later tonight i hope 
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2011 at 6:06AM

ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2011 at 6:07AM
I really need to find were my camera went bad, but I have pictures of the current progress too.
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 6:43PM
Rain leaks through the roof pretty bad at were its stored at now, tarp it up!
The only original panel left needs a little bit of work, not as bad as it looks, definitely needs TLC though.

Most of the underside was already primed, needs re sanded and finished though, the bottom part of that panel is also solid to.
Looks like he started to paint, just didnt finish.

Got the interior tore out except for the dash board and the headliner.
The rust on the floor is from rusty parts sitting on it, I started wiping it up with a rag on saturday before I ran outta time.

Pretty sure he already did the interior.
Hooray for new doors.

Also attached the hood.

Thats all I had time to do this past week.
Questions ? comments?

ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 6:46PM
I forgot to mention, its on blocks now to keep it off the damp floor.
and when I say its solid thats cause I preformed the old "ball peen hammer" test on it to check throughly. 
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 1:44AM
THAT is a solid great car!!!

Posted on my for sale thread to see if you needed/wanted the headlight stuff.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 2:25AM
it's pretty nice, mostly surface rust, a good DA and it will go away quickly, good luck
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 4:40AM
Yeah defiantly hold on to those, don't have money right at the moment but. Were the car is parked at I don't have electric. I'm currently looking for a small generator and a random orbital sander. 

Until my college lets out, I'm going to pull off the front quarter panel and use the schools electric in our metal shop. 
Got to love being a Tech Ed major :)
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 4:42PM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that it has posi traction.

Now I'm not exactly sure of the name of this and maybe you guys can help with this. 
The center part of the axle, a gear, has to bearings on it and a spiral like tooth pattern on it, I counted 12 or 13 teeth on it. (Don't remember exactly right now.) 
Does that mean anything? One of my drag racing buddies said that means it's higher geared, like road gears. 
What do you guys think?
This is it.
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 5:07PM
That is your pinion gear. If you count the teeth on the ring gear and divide that by the munber of teeth on the pinion gear this will tell you your axle ratio.
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 5:11PM
Which one is the ring gear?
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 5:13PM
The big one that is 8 or 9 inches in diameter.
Please don't take this the wrong way but what is a Technical Education Major?

Edited by 73 GT Sport 429 - 18-April-2011 at 5:16PM
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 10:45AM
Best way to describe it  is a shop teacher, but has computer stuff,graphics, robotics, engineering stuff.
I focused on and want to be a metal shop teacher though, but ill take what I can get jobwise though.
Thank god I'm almost done though this college stuff is getting pretty old.

Not alot of people know, cause they keep changing the name. I don't know whats wrong with "industrial arts" , but around here it's a four letter word.

Edited by ZCowher - 19-April-2011 at 11:15AM
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 4:30PM
Ok well, call me dumb but, how do you take of the front quarter panels?
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 5:17AM
Well,
I wasn't looking for it, but I ran into a friend who builds Ford mudding trucks. Got talking to him about my Torino and next thing you know there's an engine in the back of my ranger!
He also has a C6 tranny for me, but i'm suppose to come back next weekend to get it when it's drier. 

Not bad both for free :)
What you guys think?
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 5:24AM
If it's free it's for me! Can always sell it if you don't use it. 

I missed it, but what are your plans with the car? 

Edited by Psquare75 - 25-April-2011 at 5:25AM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 5:38AM
Well, I'd like to do a resto/mod to it. Black interior- close to stock appearance if not the same. the exterior a dark red with dark gray racing stripes. Magnum 500 rims. I was looking for a 351 to put in it, however, I'll take whats given :) I'd like to get around 350-400 hp out of it. It's a muscle car, therefore I'd like to have some muscle in my car. Thats what I got so far and I'm working out details as I go. 

That was the only condition for me to get the motor is that I wouldn't sell it, He don't like it when people make money off of a gift from him like that. 
What you think?

Edited by ZCowher - 25-April-2011 at 5:43AM
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
72 F code 4-Door
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic