The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 Montego T-5 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krivman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Montego T-5 conversion
    Posted: 18-November-2017 at 5:09PM
Hey guys,

Have any of you done a t-5 conversion? I did one in my car which included a factory pedal setup, but have had nothing but problems with breaking stuff. Tried to go the cable route, but it just has too much tension. Anyone ever try this? I'm looking into hydraulic now. Looks like a Range Rover master cylinder will work and a Miata slave cylinder might work.
Thoughts? Opinions?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2017 at 5:32PM
idk, IIRC some of the ford rangers had a hyd. throwout bearing with a 5 spd ??? may be a possibility???
GF CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER+THROWOUT BEARING EXPLORER RANGER 2.3L 2.9L 3.0L 4.0L
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
krivman65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krivman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 2:27AM
I had seen these as an option. The thing I'm afraid of is crappy aftermarket hydraulic throw out bearings and having to pull the transmission repeatedly. I thought that if the Miata slave cylinder would work, it would be a much easier replacement job.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 5:22AM
i agree.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 6:18AM
I think we really need some questions answered here...

What engine is it on the back of? 

What clutch setup are you running? 

What exactly do you keep breaking? 

When you say factory pedals, do you mean factory Montego, or factory as in what the trans is from?

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2017 at 3:48AM
A friend of mine put a T5 and 351 Windsor in a 63 meteor. He used a hydraulic release bearing from a 92 to 96 F150 with an M5OD. He used a Wilwood master cylinder for the clutch.
jhggtsf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2017 at 4:05PM
I think the 87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes had a hydraulic clutch with a T-5. That was with a turbo 4 cylinder which probably had a smaller clutch than you are going to run. But looking on Rock Auto the master and slave are pretty cheap, may be worth trying.
Joe
krivman65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krivman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2017 at 1:09AM
It has a 351w. The clutch is just a plain old Mustang clutch if I remember correctly. I will need to dig through my receipts to double check. It has an aluminum flywheel. Originally, I was running a fox body cable linkage, including the piece that it hooks into on the pedal. It was binding up so badly that it was shearing off the bolts holding that piece on. I had mounted it to a pedal and hung it from the pivot point under the dash. Now, the car has a factory Montego pedal assembly installed and I'm thinking that hydraulic is the better way to go... Just my one experience with converting a car over though.
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2017 at 3:13PM
Originally posted by krivman65 krivman65 wrote:

I had seen these as an option. The thing I'm afraid of is crappy aftermarket hydraulic throw out bearings and having to pull the transmission repeatedly. I thought that if the Miata slave cylinder would work, it would be a much easier replacement job.

It's kind of a shame with what Ford has done with the modular engines in the U.S. The Ranger and Miata came with the Mazda M5R1\2, M5OD manual transmissions. Hi performance parts for this transmission are available out of Japan and Australia and are easy to find by changing the country you're searching on EBay. Also out of Japan and Australia the bell housings weren't part of the transmission case so swapping those transmissions can be done with a lot less complications.

Also, Mazda used this transmission in their F3 cars if I remember right but regardless of the class, the manual for this transmission is available. It was written by Kan Nakashima and he discusses building for low end torque and high end HP. I'm sure he can get you through any concerns you have with parts.

I'm curious about why you are having a problem with an hydraulic slave for a t5? The Tremec t5 was used in a lot of cars including Mustang GT's so reliable slaves are readily available. A lot of the Cobra kit cars used the t5 also to suggest another possible source. Being concerned about a nameless Chinese company's parts from Rock Auto is reasonable.
 Post Reply Post Reply