The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classified Section > eBay & Craigslist Listings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 (or 72) GTS - Nov 4 Auction in IN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havanariviera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 (or 72) GTS - Nov 4 Auction in IN
    Posted: 20-October-2017 at 4:15AM
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/gran-torino/2017442.html

not sure; is this a 73 with a 72 clip on the front?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2017 at 4:42AM
This car seems to be a mess of parts.  Wrong steering wheel, door panels, calls a Cleveland a Windsor.  It does have a 1973 style back seat.  However, the rear bumper brackets and taillights look like 1972 not 73.  This one you'd have to check the VIN.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2017 at 5:30AM
I'd be worried whats under that shiny paint. has the look of a quick fixer upper/flipper.
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2017 at 12:28PM
yes the inside don't quite match the looks of the outside quality wise??? steering wheel door panels stereo????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2017 at 12:52PM
That's a weird car. Everything I see looks like 72, and you can't just bolt a 72 nose on a 73 car, because the front frame is different. 

Rear bumper and trunk are 72. The interior is kind of odd. Doesn't have sport door panels, however there is a 72 formal sport for sale near me with non-sport door panels and the guy claims they are original...

But what IS odd, is the stripe. The front fenders have proper laser stripe sections, but then the doors and rear quarter stripe is just painted red. Not even an attempt to fade it like an original stripe. Just orange on the fender, and red starting at the door line. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
TorinoTime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2017 at 4:45PM
Front spoiler is interesting but not sure I'm a fan. Lots of quirks on this one.
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 6:31AM
I'm pretty sure a guy over on torinocobra used to own that car.  I think his user name is Ramair something.  Anyways if it is the same car it is a 73 and has Lincoln Mark V disk brakes on it with the 5 x5 bolt pattern.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 7:33AM
Originally posted by 72sport 72sport wrote:

I'm pretty sure a guy over on torinocobra used to own that car.  I think his user name is Ramair something.  Anyways if it is the same car it is a 73 and has Lincoln Mark V disk brakes on it with the 5 x5 bolt pattern.

Are you thinking of Pete, Ramair351?  He did have a yellow one close to this and it had the same Ram Air 351 sticker on the scoop.  It could be the same car, but the new owner obviously made some changes.  In the original thread about Pete's car he did say it's a '73 with a '72 clip and that it was back-halfed.

Here it is:

Edited by 72FordGTS - 21-October-2017 at 7:34AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 9:21AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Originally posted by 72sport 72sport wrote:

Are you thinking of Pete, Ramair351?  He did have a yellow one close to this and it had the same Ram Air 351 sticker on the scoop.  It could be the same car, but the new owner obviously made some changes.  In the original thread about Pete's car he did say it's a '73 with a '72 clip and that it was back-halfed.

Here it is:

Yep....that's the same car.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2017 at 2:17PM
Yep.  It is the only other car I've seen with ET type X wheels.  I had a set of those wheels way back so for some reason Pete's car stuck in my mind
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2018 at 5:09PM
It is going to auction again.
72 GTS
-John
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2018 at 4:01AM
Referring to an above post about a Sport Formal with standard door panels, it could actually be original to the car. The first '72 I cut up was a Metallic Brown Sport Formal roof I purchased from the original owner. It was an extremely original car that was parked in the early 1980's. That car was a very early 1972 Laser stripe car with the standard dash, Ginger bench seat interior and standard Gran Torino door/side panels front and rear. It was untouched and original. No Sport panels. I had pictures of the car on here somewhere.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic