The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 torino restart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firemedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 torino restart
    Posted: 19-December-2003 at 1:43AM
 i am going to attempt to get my torino running again after not running for almost 8 years. i will be installing a new(rebuilt)fmx trans and i know i have alot of other things to do before  it runs again. i bought this car when i was in high school, and have had it ever since. my 20th high school reunion is this summer and i would like to be able to drive it  there. any suggestions, helpful hints etc etc.. would be appreciated. thanks paul s
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2003 at 2:10AM

Drain and clean out all of the fuel system (tank, carb, check fuel pickup), refill tank and float bowls with fresh gas. Drain and refill oil, replace belts, plugs, cap, rotor, wires.  Check the oil you get out of the motor, if it has water, coolant, or other obvious contaminants, you may be in trouble.  (was the car allowed to freeze ever?)  Drain and flush coolant, beware the heater cores on these cars like to break at the most inopportune moment, so if you've never replaced it, beware.  After all of that, a safe idea is to get an oil pump primer (rod that goes in place of your dist that you can turn by hand or with a drill to turn the oil pump to make sure everything is lubed before you turn it over).  Finally, check the electrical system and make sure the coil is getting power, and that all the grounds in the engine compartment are clean, then give it a try..   By the way, sometimes, you can just put gas in it and it'll start fine after sitting for 10 years, but maybe it's better to just get all of the normal stuff you'd want to do for your baby out of the way first.. By the way, I have had my torino since I was 15, (about half my life) and have only put on about 30k miles in that time.

Good luck and have fun!

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
 Post Reply Post Reply