The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

74 GTS 460 FACTORY SUNROOF CAR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 GTS 460 FACTORY SUNROOF CAR
    Posted: 05-August-2016 at 8:04PM
its been a little while to get these pics taken and loaded, but here are the pics of the 74 gts that i traded my 76 brougham survivor for. i had the original tan/brown interior swapped out thanks to joe, the guy i got it from. i havent gotten anything done to it yet, other than searching for some stuff and tinkering with the carb to get it to run easier at the moment. as soon as i can get some other cars sold, and/or when i get some change saved up, i am going with a blue black theme, and having the vinyl roof replaced with a line-x bed liner coating, to give it the resemblance of a vinyl roof, but better...and water proof with a life time warranty.

74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 8:12AM
i am looking for a blue dashboard and a blue tilt steering column with wheel (cruise control equipped)as well as a complete power window set up, (motors, rails, whatever hardware that is not used from a manual window car, also to include the complete wiring harness leading to wherever it connects to in the bulkhead.

i have never done this before, so i know im opening a big can of worms to convert it over to power windows (and maybe power locks, if possible.) so if any of you have any or all of this, please let me know so we can work something out. thank you!!
Steve.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 8:58AM
looks like a fairly solid car. hard to tell in the pics but are you missing some of the grill bars?
tell me you have all the lower rocker trim and wheelwell trim---those are hard to find!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 9:32AM
yes it is a very solid car, as far as i have discovered no rust, other than the surface rust and a little pitting of the sun roof area. no, i dont have the rocker cover or wheel well trim, and yes the grill bars are missing.

i am considering the thought of not using any rocker or wheel well trim, but i havent really looked into it that far. right now im working on acquiring the proper color interior that i want to finish it off with as well as the steering and window options. mechanically im looking at doing some fuel supply work due to it stalling out on me a few times while out on the highway, and trying to acquire/incorporate the hood mod that i want to do.
i am also inquiring with local body shops around here for someone who has lead experience, for possibly using ad a filler on the hood mod as well as i want to fill in the quarter seams with lead, and possibly skim the sunroof area with lead to treat and fill for a good metal repair (without patching it) prior to having the roof line-x treated to give it a faux vinyl look as well as a good all weather protect-ant from rust and sun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 9:46AM
i have all but one of the grill bars.
 joe unlovedford had the front fender rocker moldings he was selling at one time?
so you're going to just fill in the sunroof? fill in the opera windows too? Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 10:29AM
no, im not going to fill the sunroof in, im going to get it functional again, but since the steel is a little pitted and i want an all metal repair, i dont want to cut and patch it for smooth steel again, so im thinking of using lead as a body filler and getting it all smoothed out again as if it wasnt pitted, before the line-x is applied.

the main reason i traded my 76 for this car was the fact that in the 25 years ive been keeping an eye on torinos, this is the first one ive come across that has a factory sunroof. i havent ordered it yet, but i am dying to find out how many came with sunroofs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 11:16AM
ok, that's what i first thought. yeah i'm not sure how many came with a factory sunroof, i think i saw one other one on here may have been a craigslist thing i don't remember, but i haven't seen any ever in my travels!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2016 at 4:34PM
ive got a quick question, its been so long since ive worked or tinkered with a carburated engine. with the engine running for a while is it normal for the carburetor to become so hot that it burns your fingers to touch it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2016 at 5:50PM
um, not normally, but it can get hot if the engine is really hot (which can cause "heat soak" and make it act as if it's flooded when you go to restart it after a few minutes)
also is it hot by the electric choke if it has one? they are heated by electric and can get quite hot near that housing, but i'm thinking it is hot because of the EGR at the base??? overall is shouldn't be any hotter than maybe a valve cover or something thats at normal temp. if it's overly hot that very well could be your stalling issue--either boiling over or causing a vapor lock in the carbShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2016 at 5:57PM
thats kind of what im wondering, about creating a vapor lock in the carb when it stalls. i havent checked the electric choke, but the choke plate is not linked up at the moment because of a little retaining clip that keeps coming off. it stays wide open unless i play with it.
as for the temp, no, its quite hotter. when i remove the air breather and touch any part of the carb, i burn my fingers due to how hot it is to the touch.
any idea what would make it so hot or how i could prevent it from getting so hot?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2016 at 6:21PM
a couple things come to mind... exhaust gas flows under the carb (egr plate under the carb) can be removed tap and plug the holes in the intake, get them flush so then you could replace the egr plate with the same thickness plastic phenolic spacer to stop some engine heat transfer to the carb Wink

also, does it have a catylitic convertor? it could be nearly plugged and also choking the exhaust causing added heat
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2016 at 1:14AM
If the EGR plate corrodes thru, carb gets stupid-hot. Usually will boil the fuel and car won't run. No matter what the cause, I would find/fix it soon, as heating the fuel and cooking it off will varnish up your carb fairly quickly.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2016 at 12:42PM
do either of you have a picture of what this plate looks like or roughly where/how i gain access to it? based on what you both have described, im betting dollars to doughnuts that, that is why im stalling out on the highway and why its so damned hot. ive ran a lot of fresh fuel through it as well as numerous cans of b-12 and other carb cleaners, in the effort to get rid of the "varnish" smell, but it always smells like varnish.
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2016 at 2:28PM
EGR plate isright under the carb .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2016 at 4:28PM
yeah, it's between the carb and the intake. just unbolt the carb and it's right there, slide it up off of the studs. look where it sits on the intake and you will see a black carboned up 1/2" hole down into the intake...that's what you would need to plug if you wanted to eliminate it.
 plate looks like one of these:
 Original 1977 Ford EGR Smog Carb SPACER PLATE part D7PE-9A589-PA     Ford D7PE-9A589-CA EGR CARB SPACER PLATE
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2016 at 12:20PM
Looks like a carb spacer with the EGR hanging off. Some have coolant routed thru as well...

The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2016 at 12:40PM
yep, i found it. i havent taken it off to determine if its the culprit or not, but im betting it is.
i dont have a smog pump, nor do i have catylitic converters, what other emissions control crap should i look for and what purpose would this egr plate serve?
if it doesnt serve anything, i would like to just delete the entire thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2016 at 12:57PM
delete it
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2016 at 1:15PM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

no, im not going to fill the sunroof in, im going to get it functional again, but since the steel is a little pitted and i want an all metal repair, i dont want to cut and patch it for smooth steel again, so im thinking of using lead as a body filler and getting it all smoothed out again as if it wasnt pitted, before the line-x is applied.

the main reason i traded my 76 for this car was the fact that in the 25 years ive been keeping an eye on torinos, this is the first one ive come across that has a factory sunroof. i havent ordered it yet, but i am dying to find out how many came with sunroofs.

Dude you will warp that sunroof to death if you try to lead it.Way to much heat for that panel. Lead only works on thicker more crowned areas of metal on cars of this era. Older cars had thicker metal that wasn't as flat that's why they could lead them.

Tim

Edited by yellowsportwagon - 06-September-2016 at 1:16PM
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2016 at 4:21AM
ive been looking at aluminum intakes for a 460, and ive seen where there is a small rectangular opening that runs in between the back 4 cylinders and the front 4. i saw a used one where this rectangular opening/tunnel looked kind of blackened and sooted up. is this where the exhaust gas comes through for the factory intake to the egr valve, or if its not, what is it for? im thinking that since im pulling the carb, and if the egr goes through the center of the intake, that i want to completely prevent exhaust gases from getting to my intake so that it keeps it cooler, as well as if i come across one cheap enough, to reduce the weight and get an aluminum intake. are there any flaws in my thinking?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic