The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

75 Ranchero Headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75 Ranchero Headers
    Posted: 13-January-2012 at 3:12PM
Major bummer, kids...... My dumb-a** not realizing this could be a problem; purchased a set of pro Comp Hooker headers for my 75 Ranchero with 429 CJ heads (466 block), unfortunately the heads pre-date the block, so these headers don't seat right, despite all the other 'normal' problems, such as having to relocate the tranny coolant lines and the tranny dipstick blockage, rather restricted access to. Bunch of crap and I am highly upset. So, I just told the engine builders to put the stupid stock headers back on, eliminating all the whatever-you-can-charge-me-extra-for-you-will. I'm just wondering how much power I'm going to lose. I will put bigger exhaust pipes on it, running back from the stock collector, hate that it will bottle-neck, but what can I do except have some headers custom made? Bet that will cost a fortune, eh? Was there a diff surface area on CJ (pre 68), heads than on 75 460 heads? What headers do any of you recommend? Are there some shorties that may work?

AHHHHRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!Angry
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2012 at 3:13PM
Oh, and there are some new pics on photobucket.com/papadeath.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2012 at 3:29PM
Depending on what your plans are for this beast I doubt you will notice anything. If you will be racing the clock at the drag strip that is where you might see the difference. I have a 466 in my 74 ranchero. I am running hooker super comp headers with the stock heads (D3VE-A2A). the car runs/sounds great. But I use this thing as my summer cruiser and for towing (Class III). The place I really noticed a power difference is on my 79's stock 460 When I had the exhaust ports milled out... WOW! That one is running the stock manifolds and has more "off the line" grunt than the one with cam and headers.     
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2012 at 4:17PM
Why not take the headers to a machine shop and have them make some new header flanges, out of at least 3/8, stock 6126's have 5/16" flanges. These Hedmans may also work, just have to cut the old flanges off and weld the primaries to the flange stubs. I do realize it would be a bit of work. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2012 at 4:22PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Why not take the headers to a machine shop and have them make some new header flanges, out of at least 3/8, stock 6126's have 5/16" flanges. These Hedmans may also work, just have to cut the old flanges off and weld the primaries to the flange stubs. I do realize it would be a bit of work. Todd
The part number on these Hedman flanges is HED-11365, they feature a port height of 2.125". Hedman also has another flange set that has a 2.250" port height HED-11370. I found these at Summit Racing. I hope it helps.

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2012 at 7:04AM
Thanks for all the info, guys! I'm sure I could have made them work. Unfortunately, not only would I have had to mod the headers (which would have prohibited me from sending them back), but the tranny cross member was in the way as well (another easy mod perhaps). However, the tranny coolant lines would have had to be redone, and also the brake line on the passenfer side would have had to have been relocated. Just too much money. I'm already into this project waay over my head. I just want to get it back. Seems one of the stock exhaust manifolds had a small crack, so I'm going to be welding that today and taking it back out to the engine builders so maybe I can get it this weekend. Yea, no serious drag racing so these should be fine. Eventually I will get headers for it I suppose, when I pay some of this debt off, gak. I hear Crites has a solution.

By the way, anyone interested in an excellent shape Ranchero shell I found one on Craigslist for 75 bucks! sale-wzcpt-2766008512@craigslist.org. Don't know how much longer the ad will be up. 
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2012 at 8:33AM
Papadeath,
 I also had to modify a trans crossmember to allow the use of my 6126's. I hear the Crites headers are an option but you have to use their motor mounts from what I have read. I hope everything works out. Keep us updated with pics if possible. Todd

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2012 at 7:04AM
Doood, Todd! Dang, I had this all typed out and lost it, gak. Ok, here we go again: yea, I heard about Crites making you want their mounts, but if I had lower mounts, I think the Hookers would have fit better as well, hmm? Hehe. At any rate, they'll have to wait, I just want my stupid car back! I just called them and they said my battery was dead, ya' think? After almost 2 months... Seems like they would have kept it charged during the build process, or at least have an extra battery around to set the timing and all that crap. So, this is what I'm waiting for; timing and test drive, so hopefully I'll be able to pick it up today... Wouldn't that be sweet? Let's cross our fingers. I have so much more I have to do to this car. My butt is sore from this deal, no grease at all. I will give a full report on Eddings Engine in San Fernando, CA after this little fiasco. Anyway, pics so far are on this link: http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/papadeath/
Though not in order. Take care and thanks!
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2012 at 7:24AM
Papa,
  Keep your head up brother. We have all been in that situation in one form or another, no lube. It sounds like these guys just want to make it rough on you for some reason. These guys make me think about the old Aamco transmission commercial where the two monkeys are beating the transmission with sticks trying to fix it LOL. I hope the test drive is all good with no other hurdles. Todd

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2012 at 2:32PM
Yea, that Aamco commercial was dead on if they're talking about the one in Glendale, CA. I went to these idiots and I had to go back 4 TIMES for them to get it right on my Toyota truck. The first one they so-called rebuilt burned up in 3 years 'cause they said 'oh there was no fluid in it' and I said well YOU were the guys that put it in! So they rebuilt another one and I get it home and it started sticking in second so i took it back. They next one they sent me home with leaked after 2 weeks. After that the next one was sticking in first. It was unbelievable. FINALLY it works decent, but after a huge nightmare. Doesn't seem to bother people that you have to take time out of your life, and gas money back and forth to do things over and over that should only take once.....

I put an update of my car in the 'update' section, check it out. I have to make dinner, the ol' lady can't cook. Daaaaang.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2012 at 11:33PM
I'll just throw this out there for your consideration, Papadeath...

After you're done lickin' your wounds from this, and you'd still like to run headers instead of factory manifolds, give Stan Johnson @ FPA a call. He lists a set of 429/460 "shorty" headers for Rancheros (they'd work for a Torino, too). They can be had with the CJ flanges.

Although I've not used this particular pattern, I CAN say that I had a set of Stan's headers in my old '72 (351W/C-6) and they fit/worked better than I could have ever imagined/hoped for! He understands Ford "architecture" and knows his product. If there's anything he's aware of (problems/idiosyncracies) with your chassis/application, as it pertains to his product, I found him to be straight up and very helpful. Couldn't have been happier with my experience!

His stuff isn't cheap but is VERY well made, fits like a dream, WORKS and worth every penny.

Best of luck, to you.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Ranchero1.htm
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2012 at 12:59AM
Glad to see there is another header option for our Ranchero/Torino's other than Hooker or Crites. I have an extra set of 6126's in case the originals develop a problem but after looking at these I see some advantages in their design as far as clearance issues are concerned. I like the fact you have flange options for the same header application(CJ vs. DOVE).  Great info, OleDutchD.

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 3:58PM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Major bummer, kids...... My dumb-a** not realizing this could be a problem; purchased a set of pro Comp Hooker headers for my 75 Ranchero with 429 CJ heads (466 block), unfortunately the heads pre-date the block, so these headers don't seat right, despite all the other 'normal' problems, such as having to relocate the tranny coolant lines and the tranny dipstick blockage, rather restricted access to. Bunch of crap and I am highly upset. So, I just told the engine builders to put the stupid stock headers back on, eliminating all the whatever-you-can-charge-me-extra-for-you-will. I'm just wondering how much power I'm going to lose. I will put bigger exhaust pipes on it, running back from the stock collector, hate that it will bottle-neck, but what can I do except have some headers custom made? Bet that will cost a fortune, eh? Was there a diff surface area on CJ (pre 68), heads than on 75 460 heads? What headers do any of you recommend? Are there some shorties that may work?

AHHHHRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!Angry

I don't know if this will help, but just to clarify a few points in your post.......

"purchased a set of pro Comp Hooker headers for my 75 Ranchero with 429 CJ heads (466 block)"
If you bought the headers for the CJ heads, then chances are they were designed for the 70-71 Torino and thus your problems.

"the heads pre-date the block, so these headers don't seat right" 
There wouldn't be any difference, all 68-76 429/460 heads are physically the same. Blocks too.

"put the stupid stock headers back on"
Are these Cobra Jet manifolds? They would have to be. and if so, they are really good manifolds.

"I'm just wondering how much power I'm going to lose"
Unless you're all out drag racing, there's nothing here to worry about as long as you're using the CJ manifolds.

"Was there a diff surface area on CJ (pre 68), heads than on 75 460 heads?"
CJ heads were only 70-71. The answer to this question is NO. The only difference would be the size of the ports.

"What headers do any of you recommend?"
That's tricky because there is no specific header for any 72-79 with a Cobra Jet engine since none were ever made. But there is a header that will work with the larger ports and fit the 72-79. I have a set, but to be perfectly honest I don't know the number. I did message the header ports a little to fit better, not to much they were very close. You might try Crites. They make a really nice header that may work for you.
Good luck!
Jim

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 7:45AM
Well, 'stupid is what stupid does' quote by the great Forrest Gump. These are actually DOVE cast iron heads. With some porting and blending. So, that means I have stock DOVE manifolds from a standard 429? I though I might have ordered wrong, but they guy at Jegs assured me that they were the same fitment, though they DIDn't fit, hehe.  The great link by OleDutch is probably what I'm going to go with, though apparently there's a huge back-log I'll have to wait on. http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Ranchero1.htm
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 8:23AM
Papa,
 You have a BBF with DOVE heads and the Hooker 6126's don't fit?? That is what I am running in my '79 Ranchero, '71 D1VE block, DOVE heads ported exhaust blended intake. I do know the exhaust flange on the 6126's are alot to be desired, they have a really thin gasket margin width(less than 3/16") for each port. I had to order different exhaust header gaskets, after I removed the headers and prior to sending them out to get coated, I noticed the thin margins for the head to exhaust port gasket mating surface. I do know the headers for my '79 fit really well, I can remove the starter without loosening the headers. I also know the 6126 header's exhaust port is almost too big(height) for the stock production DOVE head exhaust port. Todd 

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 7:36AM
Yea, Aqua, there is very little material left, I had forgotten that. I heard that as long as there's 1/8 inch it's cool, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. I have gotten on the list for these  http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Ranchero1.htm. The guy said they would practically slide right in from the bottom with just a little lift from below after disconnecting the mounts. I would LOVE the coated ones, but they're a little out of my budget. This is never gonna' be a show car. I'm only interested in it running decent. Found out this morning (still not running quite right, spits a bit when I get on it) from a guy who was adjusting my timing that I may have a plug not working. This is infuriating because the engine builders should've caught it before I picked it up. SOOO angry. When it cools off a bit I'm going down to the garage and check all the plugs.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 7:38AM
Oooooo, I DID cruise to Bob's Big Boy on Riverside and Hollywood Way this Saturday... EVERYone looked as I pulled into the driveway, hehe. Sounds awesome. This is why we do it, right?
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 9:13AM

Yea, Aqua, there is very little material left, I had forgotten that. I heard that as long as there's 1/8 inch it's cool, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. I have gotten on the list for these  http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Ranchero1.htm. The guy said they would practically slide right in from the bottom with just a little lift from below after disconnecting the mounts. I would LOVE the coated ones, but they're a little out of my budget. This is never gonna' be a show car. I'm only interested in it running decent. Found out this morning (still not running quite right, spits a bit when I get on it) from a guy who was adjusting my timing that I may have a plug not working. This is infuriating because the engine builders should've caught it before I picked it up. SOOO angry. When it cools off a bit I'm going down to the garage and check all the plugs.

I had a local guy to me ceramic coat my headers and a set of MT aluminum valve covers for $200, did a pretty nice job but if I was to do it again I would send them to get Nitroplated, much shinier. That sounds like a quality control issue on the plugs, either from manufacture or the engine "builders". Hope you get it figured out. Todd

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 7:03AM
Ok, we're getting off-topic here... Sorry, but I stopped at a place yesterday and the dude set my timing wrong, against my wishes, whatever. He retarded the hell out of it, but I straightened it back out this morning. One of my plugs is a diff color. I was concerned that the rest of them are white, which seems too hot, right? Aren't they supposed to be tan? Anyway, the one plug looked new, but was sparking... Maybe not sparking hot enough to keep up? What could it be..... The wire? The plug? The dist? Remember all this stuff is new, but the wires were custom made, probably check that first, eh, though it IS carrying the spark..?  Anyone know a bad a** out here in L.A. that can help me get this thing to run right? 
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 3:02PM
in my experience a white plug means its too lean but here's page I use to help read 'em...

http://www.wallaceracing.com/plug-reading-lm.html
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 6:48PM

Yea, Aqua, there is very little material left, I had forgotten that. I heard that as long as there's 1/8 inch it's cool, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. I have gotten on the list for theseĀ  http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Ranchero1.htm. The guy said they would practically slide right in from the bottom with just a little lift from below after disconnecting the mounts. I would LOVE the coated ones, but they're a little out of my budget. This is never gonna' be a show car. I'm only interested in it running decent. Found out this morning (still not running quite right, spits a bit when I get on it) from a guy who was adjusting my timing that I may have a plug not working. This is infuriating because the engine builders should've caught it before I picked it up. SOOO angry. When it cools off a bit I'm going down to the garage and check all the plugs.

Papa... trust me... they'll be worth the wait. Stan's stuff is top-shelf. Based on my experience, if he says they'll drop in, they'll drop in. Can't wait to hear YOUR opinion.

Best of luck.
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 8:29AM
Good enough for me. I just told him to wait a min while I check my pitiful funds. Think I'm going to go with the coated ones anyway. Yea my plugs were white and yea you're probably right about the running too lean thing. I tried another wire on the one plug that was diff colored and now it seems to be the same as the rest, but I can't really tell if it is still missing a bit, I think yes still but not quite as much. Timing is key. I guess I'm going to have to take it way the hell back out to San Fernando and have the engine builders look at it again. Patience is not my best quality.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 8:37AM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

in my experience a white plug means its too lean but here's page I use to help read 'em...

http://www.wallaceracing.com/plug-reading-lm.html

Sir, it didn't show my particular plugs, which are kinda' weird; white electrode but black base. Should I not drive this anymore and have it towed out to the engine guys? It's about 35-40 miles. It's a brand new motor, under warranty, but I don't want to screw it up.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 8:45AM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 8:57AM
Thanks, Psquare! Feel a lot better now. Mine only have 100 or so miles as well, no build-up.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2012 at 8:44AM
Those http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Ranchero1.htm. will be here tonight. Can't wait. As like most of you, I am a little frustrated at all the claims of 'direct bolt in' stuff, as I have spend every last stinkin' dime (at the chagrin of the ol' lady, though the bills get paid), on this stupid car, lol. DOOODS, I had a great idea for the grille, though; I'm going to weld teeth into it. !! What I have pictured in my head and the final result may vary, of course, but I have a very talented welder at my disposal (you should see MY bead, hehe, ugly but they hold), so I'm looking forward to the spoiler and grille being finished. It's going to look more like a road warrior-type car than anything else. I don't expect it to be pretty, but it's going to be cool as s**t. I'm wondering how much louder this thing is gonna' be with those headers??
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2012 at 9:01AM
Haha i just posted the link to those on another thread, i wonder why they don't list them under Torino on the FPA site?
72 GT Ute

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2012 at 7:52AM
Got 'em last night, they look cool. Test fit then coating, since they won't take them back if they are coated. http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/papadeath/
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2012 at 8:20AM

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2012 at 8:25AM
i wonder why FPA doesn't turn those into a Tri-Y ?

a Bi-Y into a pair of dual inlet / single outlet mufflers would be Cool

an easy way to create a 180* system, where the firing order dumps evenly into the exhaust instead of all bunched up
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>