The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

76 Elite with facelift "BELLA"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2014 at 7:28AM
Yeah, your right there (I saw your pics). I just didn't expect to have that much as the rest of the car is pretty cancer free.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2014 at 8:48AM
I can't find a kickdown rod so I'm looking for a lokar kit. I have a summit carb and c4
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2014 at 8:07PM
Are there any simple seatbelt replacement options? My retractors work OK but the belts are really faded and chaffed.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 2:18AM
Aftermarket or from another type of car (my favorite option).
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2014 at 5:34PM
I got the floor patches welded in over the last few nights after work. Tonight I grindered the whole floor with a flap wheel and wire brush and laid down some prime kote. Lookin good. I also ordered carpet, front seats and brackets. I also installed the trans and adopted a kickdown rod that should fit just right but I'll need to check in the morning. It was a good day.
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2014 at 9:32PM
I've been busy on the dashpad, it was in really bad shape. Had several deep and protruding cracks and the vinyl was very brittle. Thought I'd try my hand at repairing it before buying another so I pulled out my air sander and some bondo-glass and got to work. I laid 4 coats of that,sanding in between coats and then glazed in the imperfections. It looks near perfect and feels very strong. I'll prime it tomorrow.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2014 at 7:29AM
Pictures please. Mine is also fragile and could use some reinforcing. I have to reconstruct the radio area where I opened it up to add a little(and useless) equalizer. Replicating the exterior grain in the black surface will be tough.
Don

73 Ranchero with a 72 Sport front end, parked since 1990
91 Lincoln Mark VII SE, OBDII 347/4R70W
98 Mercury Mountaineer
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2014 at 4:36PM
I'll try to get some pics this weekend. I came to the conclusion that recreating the grain is not worth the difficulty on the dashpad. The lower dash area could probably be reinforced with bondo-glass from the back side to good results. The best thing about the glass is its ability to flex.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2014 at 7:52AM
Thanks, I was thinking of the same fiberglass "bondo" material I tried long ago, for the dash. The common plastic epoxy that parts stores carry does let go after enough time and heat.
Don

73 Ranchero with a 72 Sport front end, parked since 1990
91 Lincoln Mark VII SE, OBDII 347/4R70W
98 Mercury Mountaineer
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2014 at 2:36PM
I believe that little red disc is part of the blend door mechanism for the AC/heat controls. Not easy to reassemble and if that part fell off then the check ball(s) is(are) missing and it's a lost cause. That part is easily replaced with new/nos/repop.
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2014 at 4:48PM
I just received a NOS replacement valve today! Looks good. I'll be working on her manana and I'll post some pics.
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2014 at 9:16AM
Home Internet is down but I've made some progress.
1.replaced the AC valve and it's working well.
2.cleaned out the blower fan box.
3.modified the exhaust system so it doesn't rattle.
4.cleaned the entire interior, took the doors apart and replaced the weather stripping. the windows roll up real nice now.
5.put together my bucket seats finish the mounts and cover them with real dark grey sheepskin. PS my pregnant wife really helped a lot on that. They are real nice and comfortable. I will definitely put pictures up when I get more internet.
6. Primed and painted the floor.
7.I put the dash together and Carl aka Regul8r really stepped up and got a dash cluster plug from his "farm" that will let me install my near perfect 72 cluster into this 76. Thanks Carl!
I promise to get photos up before Christmas.lol
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2014 at 12:41PM
Clap good job! yeah the saying around here is..."it didn't happen without pics"LOL can't wait to see your progress! Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 11:18AM
Hello again All,

It's been a long time since I've been on here but I still have this car and its currently acting as my brother's daily driver. I had it for sale but no takers, so I'm thinking I'm going to start having fun with it.

I was enjoying the work on this car until my daily driver at the time, (a 86 chevy pickup) skipped the timing, backfired and then lit the engine bay on fire. It burned everything pretty bad. I was forced to hurry along the elite for a driver and then the trouble started.

1.timing was eratic with the aftermarket hei distributer so I pulled that and installed an original type dizzy. For ignition, since I didn't have any of the duraspark components, I put together my own "ignition box" using the guts from the hei and a ford TFI coil.

During the time of playing with the dizzy (The stupid HEI one didn't like to engage well with the oil pump shaft), I accidently lost a socket down the dizzy hole and it fell all the way into the oil pan. UUUUGGGGHHH!

After fishing for that with a magnet on a wire for a couple of hours, I rescued the socket. Cussing myself because I knew better than to stick a socket in a hole without being safety taped. LOL

Well, I got it all wired all that up and it ran for a week but on the way from work it burned up the first hei module. I got a ride to Orriellys and got another one, this time the "heavy duty version"

I sensed something was wrong with the voltage coming from one of the old duraspark wires, so I wired in a relay that was fed directly off a circuit breaker on the battery, this way the voltage from the dash would only act to turn it on. This worked well for about a month, but once again it stranded me on the highway, only this time in the middle of no where. 

Frustrated, and slowly getting wiser, I ordered a summit ignition box and got that wired in. This fortunatly has been very reliable.

2. After initially getting the car running, I needed to drive to work, so I thought I'd just throw in some cheap racing seats. Being the overthinker that I am, I thought, hey, why not make them tilt up for easier access to the back seat? I eventually was able to do this, and still be safe however, they are not comfortable and since they tilt up, I have no room for headrests, so they are low backs. It's a bad idea.

3. Air Conditioning. I worked very hard to maintain my AC during the rebuild process and sadly, after getting it running, I found that it didnt work very good. I think the compressor is on it's way out as it appears really put a lot of strain on the belt when it's on, and the sound isn't smooth. Oh well.
I did find a NOS vacuum controller to install but, the thing very slowly leaks by when on full cold. It makes a very annoying squeal.

4. Carburators...I went back and forth between the 4v 600 cfm summit and the original motorcraft 2v that I can pull each carb and rebuild it completely with my eyes closed. I tuned, and retuned and retuned again trying to find out why my car bogged down on acceleration or load.
Once I replaced the crappy distributor, I still couldn't fix the poor drivability. I even contemplated going EFI, of course, I couldn't afford a new carb, let alone a full FI setup. This plagued me for a year and I still couldnt figure it out.

5. Dash. I didn't have any gauge cluster as the original litterly fell apart. Scott from FL had sent me a nice looking cluster and face plate from a 72. The problem was in making it work in my 76. Luckily  Carl (Regul8r) very nicely helped me get a wiring harness from a 72 and I figured out how to wire it in. The standard gauges work, but the speedo was DOA. 

6. The transmission debacle: After I got the initial start up done, I attempted to drive the car, I put in D and....nothing. Sadly, this was purely my fault, I had replaced the torque convertor, as it was right there, and I didn't have it seated correctly, the pump was ruined in the trans and so that too was dropped, and taken to a reputable builder to rebuild.

7. I bought an almost new Toyota Tundra with 9,000 miles and the Elite stayed parked. After all my work, it now had new sound deadener, carpet, new cover for back seat, bad idea lowback buckets that I made better by gluing in foam and covering with nice sheepskin covers, a freshly rebuilt 351 windsor,rebuilt c4 transmission, and the gull not to run correctly. It made me so mad, I couldn't look at it.

Convinced that the carb was still the issue eventhough I had rebuilt it twice, I let my brother take it as his truck was broken down. One day, I thought that maybe the power valve was somehow incorrect so I took a run up to Tucson with my tools and tore the carb off again. I put it together and it ran the same. So I started to take off the dizzy cap to check the advance and lo and behold, The stupid vacuum advance hose was loose on the original style distributor I had installed two years before. My bog down was simply a matter of that. Embarrassed

So there you have it, I'm sorry I'm so long winded. It runs pretty well but it defintely needs lower rear gears and suspension rebuild. I still love this car. Now I want to race it in SCCA autocross!
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 11:37AM
Some pics

mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 11:40AM
You can see, I painted the "grill" black, I actually have the head light rings but they are off right now. 
I know it's not beautiful, but I will say it's a lot lighter. You can tell how much the front sticks up now. Originally this thing rode tail up! I could probably just cut the stock springs down and have "performance" coils, LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic