The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

77 LTD barn find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 77 LTD barn find
    Posted: 12-October-2017 at 1:55AM
What to do with this???What to do...Hmmmmm

1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2017 at 8:04AM
Looks like you guys are as enthused as me LOL Ermm I can't seem to get a vibe on it either. Probably see if I can get it going down the road as cheep as possible and pass it on to the next guy.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2017 at 2:01PM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2017 at 2:49PM
My first thought was Uncle Buck, but I guess that was a Merc. There was a guy on the Ford truck forums that build a LTD like this with a high horsepower 400 engine.  It looks like a cruiser but moves out pretty well.  If you keep it, a low buck "rat rod" might be kind of cool.  Keep the patina, lower it, add some big wheels, and put a decent engine under the hood.

I have a question though for you.  How close is this car under the hood to a Torino fro clearances?  The reason I ask is there was a guy that had a fullsize Ford like this with a 351M engine.  He installed Sanderson FC4 shorter headers and he said they fit fine.  I'd like to run those headers on my car, but not sure if they'd work on the Torino.  I always seem to recall these cars were pretty similar in the front frame, firewall, steering box area.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2017 at 3:27PM
DEATHMOBILE!!!! Neat old car! Clean it up and cruise it! Side pipes!
Vince,
Issue is the Torino has the engine significantly lower in the chassis, and the side rails are closer.
Fullsize and Torino use the same suspension, everything swaps back and forth. Because of the shallower/narrower frame, the engine is right on top of the steering box and the headers have no clearance.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2017 at 5:59AM
It's even complete under the hood.

Edited by M Casey Stock - 16-October-2017 at 3:57AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2017 at 6:02AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i see a stylin cruiser, they ain't makin those no mo

Looks pretty good with some proper wheels doesn't it...Hmmmmm

changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2017 at 7:09AM
Nice find. Love these old beasts.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2017 at 1:34PM
Not actually the same frame.
Front Knee assemblies are interchangeable. (UCA, LCA, Spindle and brakes)
Torino engine mounts lower in the frame, rails are closer in front so engine is almost on top of steering box(That's why headers are an issue for Torino)
Rear suspension entirely different.
Torino chassis (and 72-76 T-bird/Mark IV Chassis)was derived from the 67-71 Thunderbird chassis, which is a derivative of the 65-68 Galaxie chassis. Ford wanted to be able to use all the "Big Car" front parts in Nascar, and wanted the car as low as possible, with the engines as low as possible in the chassis.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2017 at 2:19PM
These are the headers I want to install in my car.  They are actually for a a 351C Mustang, but like I said, I know they will fit a full-size 70's Ford on a 351M with "lots of clearance."  They don't look much different than stock manifolds for clearance.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 1:26AM
Those big ole full size boats were a blast. My dad had a '74 version of that. Brougham trim, 460 / C6 combo that would pass everything on the road except a gas station..when dad finally scrapped it, I took the motor/trans out of it and dropped it into my 1976 Torino....this was back in the early 80's and I regrettably sold the car because it wasn't what I had hoped ( of course, I had champagne tastes on a 'just graduated from high school' budget) and the person I sold it to wrecked it. Ahhh, youth...   
Sold the Elite so now the hunt is on for my next "toy"...
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 5:21AM
sleeper muscle sedan, do a junkyard rear mount twin turbo system

perfect for the low compression smog beast

72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 6:49AM
My older brother had one of those in the 80s, paint was similar. Silver peeling off red oxide primer.
My mom called it the Maserati.
For such a big car, it wasn't very roomy inside.
He, me, and my younger brother drove down to New Jersey in it for my grandmother's funeral.
8 hours of listening to a 400 running duals and glasspacks...
And then down to Philly afterward on the way home.
Cured my love of noisy mufflers.
Eventually, it did what all 351m and 400 engines do.
It spun a bearing and threw a rod.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 3:12AM
This is a 302 with the c4 trans and 2:75 rear ratio...Not going to win many races, but it should cruise nice and get good gas mileage, as long as you keep it below 60, LOL.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 12:17PM
Originally posted by M Casey Stock M Casey Stock wrote:

This is a 302 with the c4 trans and 2:75 rear ratio...Not going to win many races, but it should cruise nice and get good gas mileage, as long as you keep it below 60, LOL.
Darn, I was hoping it was a 351M or 400.  I guess you won't able to check the clearances for me anyway.  My vote is still to keep and drive.  You don't see too many of these cars around anymore.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2017 at 4:01AM
Well...looks like we are going to part ways, I just wasn't feeling it, and a guy came by wanting to buy it...Money talks...He loves it, said he always has loved LTDs, that's good because I know this way it will get the attention the Ol' Gal deserves.

Post Reply Post Reply