The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

78 Mustang II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 Mustang II
    Posted: 12-November-2013 at 11:26AM
As a few of you know, earlier this Summer I purchased a Mustang II. It is a V6, 4 Speed car. I wanted something to be able to play with where I am staying out of town and not have to worry about anything happening to it. Now my wife has a like for this car and we are gonna make it a V8, AOD car for her. I am gonna try and get this car into the body shop soon.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 11:28AM
It has dang near perfect Light Blue interior but it will be replaced with Black interior. Then add Cobra II front and rear spoilers and a Blue with white Cobra paint job. I already have some Weld Draglites for the rear and am looking for Skinnies for the front.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 12:35PM
Awesome Alex!  Love Mustang IIs.  They get no respect.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.  I got your PM.  Have had a busy hectic day.  Will call when I get a little free time.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 2:13PM
I don't get why Mustang II gets no respect. They were some of the best selling mustangs ever. If you are going to make light of it's pinto heritage, then the original Mustang needs to answer for it's Falcon origins. Now,for trans swaps, with a V8 the only automatic transmission was a C4 that used a smaller bellhousing and smaller ring gear. The trans tunnel needs massaging (sledgehammer and/or sawzall)to fit a regular C4 in. An FMX or C6 does not fit without MAJOR tunnel work, and AOD is bigger than a FMX.

Edited by Big Bird - 12-November-2013 at 2:14PM
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 3:33PM
Dang I did not know that about the AOD. I do have a couple of small case c4 trannys. My first model as a kid was of a Mustag II pro stock car. Fell in love with them then and still love them today. I also have a thing for early Pintos. If given the choice of an early Pinto or a Shelby Mustang, I am gonna have to choose the Mustang. Then I would sell the Shelby and buy me a couple of Pintos, a Maverick, another Gran Torino and maybe a Montego. But that is just me.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 3:55PM
Alex, I had a couple of V8 Mustang II's. 1978 302 automatic Ghia coupe and Brutus (1977 302/4 speed car I installed a 1969 351/4bbl windsor in). Most fun car I ever owned and people here still talk about it.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 4:09PM
Wow, I bet that was a beast.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 4:35PM
Great find. You need those graphic decal packages they put on them in the 70's. I saw some dressed up silly-crazy with decals. Don't understand why Ford did that.

But like Big Bird was saying, I do shop on the Mustang sites sometimes for parts (only place that has some stuff even though it works for mid-size), and it is like 64-73 / *hole* / fox body. Like the Mustang was not even produced in the late 70's. 
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 2:46AM
There are interesting articles on the history of those cars as well as modern technology that can applied to improve them. For safety's sake, convert to 5 lug with larger disc brakes, revise the handling aspects. I can tell you from experience that once you install a V8 in it, the F/R balance will be abysmal. It will go great in a straight line, but will need serious work to handle decently and stop quickly. Just being a friend here, but what about an EFI V6 swap? Plenty of pep, less weight on that front end, better balance, better economy.

Quick note - 1974 II's didn't have a V8 option because of economy, but also because there was no room to fit one. From 1975-1978 Ford had to produce a thinner nose, make several modifications to the engine compartment to get it to pass muster. Just remember that you will be working with a suspension that was designed originally to hold a 2.0 litre engine in 1971, so please plan for upgrades. I would hate for a safety-related issue to cause you guys any harm.

Personally, I love the blue color, the V6 and a 4 speed!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 5:18AM
Leave it a stick and put in a T5
Mike
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 5:22AM
Have no fear my pinto had an aod yes firewall needs enlarging but the mustang has more room than the pintos.You will need a mustang oil pan hard to find or build your own to clear the rack I believe.Mine has a reg oil pan motor jacked up 3in to clear. Evonne refused to ride in it with large hood scoop.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 8:10AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

There are interesting articles on the history of those cars as well as modern technology that can applied to improve them. For safety's sake, convert to 5 lug with larger disc brakes, revise the handling aspects. I can tell you from experience that once you install a V8 in it, the F/R balance will be abysmal. It will go great in a straight line, but will need serious work to handle decently and stop quickly. Just being a friend here, but what about an EFI V6 swap? Plenty of pep, less weight on that front end, better balance, better economy.

Quick note - 1974 II's didn't have a V8 option because of economy, but also because there was no room to fit one. From 1975-1978 Ford had to produce a thinner nose, make several modifications to the engine compartment to get it to pass muster. Just remember that you will be working with a suspension that was designed originally to hold a 2.0 litre engine in 1971, so please plan for upgrades. I would hate for a safety-related issue to cause you guys any harm.

Personally, I love the blue color, the V6 and a 4 speed!

I think a 3.8 Mustang engine and 5-speed would be more than enough power. The 99-04 models put out anywhere from 190-193hp stock. The stock exhaust manifolds are even good enough. You can swap on the intake from a 1996-1998 Windstar minivan (it's lightweight, composite, and has longer runners). You can run pretty much any V6 Mustang mod as well. Underdrive pulleys, cold air intakes (probably require some tweaks to fit the older MII engine bay), head and intake porting, bigger valves, better rocker arms, shorter gearing. Granted, the 3.8 Mustangs only actually got 125-140 to the wheels from that 190hp. But if you throw in a typical carbureted 302 without completely going through it, it's not going to give much more anyway.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 11:03AM
Don't stop with a 3.8, if you're gonna play with the big V6, use a 4.2. 10% more displacement and a better torque curve in the same size package. The front suspension is popular with the street rod crowd, and 5 lug rotors that fit are easy. For an 8" rear, look for a V8 maverick. perches are real close. and 5 lug drums.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 11:29AM
It already has an 8" in it. I just need 5 lug axles.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 11:35AM
The other thing to remember I that this is for my wife, that is the reason for the automatic. I thought those new v6 engines were huge. I think if I am gonna do a v6 thatI will just stay with the 171 Fiat motor that is in it now.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 11:42AM

stock axles can be changed to4.5by5 by any good michine shop. about 50-60 an axle.If you have the money 150 to200 will get you new ones.For the front after market that fit right on mustang or pinto spindle for 30 a piece.also ford ranger rear brakes fit I have been told.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 2:04PM
"I think if I am gonna do a v6 thatI will just stay with the 171 Fiat motor that is in it now."
FIAT Motor???
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 2:09PM
sounds like it needs some boost. Evil Smile

What about turbo v6 or even going back to a 4cyl and just turboing the crap out of it. With an auto it would be even better, keep your spool up although wouldn't sound as cool. I agree, V8 might be too heavy for that car if you really want it to handle.

Edited by Billy C - 13-November-2013 at 2:09PM
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 2:19PM
I am just repeating what someone told me. They supposedly took a v4 Fiat motor and added two cylinders. The engine is really kind of cool because of how small it is. The intake manifold is only about 5 inches wide.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2013 at 2:26PM
Looked it up online and apparently it is a Ford Cologne motor. Originally made for European cars. That is why I don't know much about it. The v4 was called a Taunus motor.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic