The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator recomendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator recomendation
    Posted: 12-September-2021 at 10:19AM
Hello... Which alternator should I buy for my Gran Torino 1975 (351W)?

When I search in autokrafters, appears that this one: link exact fits.

I know that these "fits" are not always 100% correct, so, should I buy this? is there other better option?

I also found this one: EBAY

Which is much less expensive... Which one do you recommend?
The owls are not what they seem
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2021 at 11:38AM
I have great luck with NAPA. I brought my old one in and made sure it matched up. Its a bit more money however the trouble it saves is worth it. 
Steve M.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2021 at 6:03AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2021 at 8:51AM
Do you know if the alternator in your car is a side terminal or rear terminal? There were several alternators used depending on the options. RockAuto or Summit Racing are good for international shipments and both should have something that will work in your car. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2021 at 10:56AM
I never put that together. I  must be getting old.
Steve M.
AgentCooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2021 at 12:42PM
Thanks to all of you.

That is right, I am in South America. Actually, it looks that there is a Napa store here, but no in my city, at least is less than 1000km away.

This is the actual alternator that is in the car:

Johnny, your proposal is 65 amp, is that enough for the car?

I think my battery is 80ah, this is too much? could this be a reason why the alternator failed?

Edited by AgentCooper - 15-September-2021 at 5:49AM
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2021 at 1:05PM
The stock alternator was probably a 55 amp unit. If you haven't added a lot of new items like a big stereo, the 65a should be plenty.

Those can also be upgraded to 80 amps with an aftermarket stator made for them. I did that in 1981 with my 72 GT, at a local alternator shop.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2021 at 1:18PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

The stock alternator was probably a 55 amp unit. If you haven't added a lot of new items like a big stereo, the 65a should be plenty.

Those can also be upgraded to 80 amps with an aftermarket stator made for them. I did that in 1981 with my 72 GT, at a local alternator shop.

Thank you!

I only added alarm with central door lock and the radio was replaced with a retrosound, I think this isnt too much (I also installed a energy cut in the battery so when is parked the battery is not connected).
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2021 at 2:55PM
should be fine, stock was probably 55-65amp so yeah unless you're pulling tons of amps like a serious stereo system you should be just fine! i think the gm 10SI i have on my car is 65 and works fine i have 1 amp and 1 sub and it works great, my courier has a 10SI 65 amp on it too and it's not enough for the bank of 5 amps under the seat powering 10 speakers Cry when it goes BOOM the gauge pegs all the way LOL so a 100 amp upgrade i think is in order soon...

on another note... replace the voltage regulator tooWink if you don't replace both at the same time it seems like a week later the other fails...
 as far as your battery disconnect... you can run the stereo memory wire (usually yellow) to the battery side of the disconnect so it keeps your preset when the battery is turned offWink

Edited by californiajohnny - 14-September-2021 at 3:00PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2021 at 4:09AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

should be fine, stock was probably 55-65amp so yeah unless you're pulling tons of amps like a serious stereo system you should be just fine! i think the gm 10SI i have on my car is 65 and works fine i have 1 amp and 1 sub and it works great, my courier has a 10SI 65 amp on it too and it's not enough for the bank of 5 amps under the seat powering 10 speakers Cry when it goes BOOM the gauge pegs all the way LOL so a 100 amp upgrade i think is in order soon...

on another note... replace the voltage regulator tooWink if you don't replace both at the same time it seems like a week later the other fails...
 as far as your battery disconnect... you can run the stereo memory wire (usually yellow) to the battery side of the disconnect so it keeps your preset when the battery is turned offWink

Thank you for all the tips. I will replace the voltage regulator and consider the radio connection...

Wow... Im not a big fan for stereos, but Im sure it sounds great

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2021 at 5:50AM
I upgraded the post with the pic of the actual alternator.

So, I think I will go for the one suggested bye CaliforniaJohnny.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2021 at 4:29AM
Thanks to all of you for your time to answer.

Was a stupid think... the red terminal was (broken? malfunctioning?) but did not keeped connected. When I connected again, everything was fine (13.9V with engine on, with no lights on).

With the lights on, is going down to 12.4 (at least is charging, las time was not charging).

So now, its working "fine", I can drive and start the engine a few times and I "feel" the same "strenght".

Now, its normal this voltage with the engine running (not driving) with no acceleration? (12.4, lights on)

Looks like a lot of consumption from the headlights, exists a "elegant" a good option of led lights?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2021 at 2:41PM
sounds about normal above 12 is charging! does it go up with a little throttle?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2021 at 12:49PM
Yes, accelerating reaches around 12.7 with headlights on.
Without lights, it keeps in 13.9.
 Post Reply Post Reply