The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

And two shall be one one. 73 GTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: And two shall be one one. 73 GTS
    Posted: 15-April-2015 at 6:28AM
Well here is the start of a very long road. I accuired one of these off craigslist as a Father's Day gift for me and my dad,from my mom. And the 2nd one I found while I was at work and ended up trading a small .380 for. This is the tear down of #1 red.
had the pretty eye lashes still on there.

Edited by apndrvs - 15-April-2015 at 9:31AM
Allen.
apndrvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 9:37AM
Finally started on the interior and the first piece I took off had a surprise under it. after cutting out the rotted seats I was able to begin tearing out the carpet. I had a little help removing the interior pieces. And this was the end result after removing the carpet
Allen.
apndrvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 9:42AM
Got a little board and started re-painting some badges. i ended up pulling the plastic piece off and painting from the back side. Still not perfect but they look much better.
Allen.
apndrvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 10:01AM
So I got a kit of "Forever Black" for Christmas. It's a dye kit for bumpers/ interior plastic/vinyl. $20 on Amazon. It comes with a cleaning solution and the dye. You scrub the plastic with the cleaner. Let it dry. Then use a brush and apply the dye. I'm extremely happy withy he results. Plus is cheeper then new panels. Here is before and after. [URL=http://s903.photobucket.com/user/apndrvs/media/Torino%20project/7115860A-F652-4C30-B13D-7F6CFC075382.jpg.html][IMG]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac234/apndrvs/Torino%20project/7115860A-F652-4C30-B13D-7F6CFC075382.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Allen.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 10:20AM
That reconditioner really works well. Looks like you are making great progress on the car. Although the rust may look bad, it is pretty typical for one of these cars that have held water. If you have a good shell, you will be money ahead swapping the parts or using the panels off the solid shell, rather that try finding NOS parts - they are scarce. This is a great project that will provide you and you family with lots of wonderful memories. The 16 inch Explorer wheels look cool on it as well. Enjoy!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

apndrvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 12:02PM
Great eye with the explorer wheels. They will defiantly be finding a new home before I'm done. I really want some mags but everyone is extreamly proud of them. I think I found the culprits of the bad floor boards. The previous owner thought it would be a good idea to add a moonroof out of something else.
Allen.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 1:10PM
floors look about as bad as mine were, check the cowl too!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 1:59PM
Great project!
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
1986 Chevy Silverado "Sally"
2013 Chevy Silverado "Blackie"
2014 GMC Sierra
2006 Victory Hammer "Big Red"
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 2:54PM
Liking it so far!
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
apndrvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 2:55PM
Well I decided to go clean the interior out on #2 tonight (blue) to see what it looked like under all the junk the previous owner had piled inside. I ended up finding 6 screw drivers. 1 chisel. 3 strait bar sanders. 2 orbital sanders. 2 brand new large packs of JB weld. 3 tubs of bondo. Some type of metal dip for fiberglass. A 200ftx 4" roll of fiber glass. A 12'x12' sheet of fiber glass cloth. About 7 brand new packs of hook and loop sand paper along with about 6 inches worth of random sand paper grits. A brand new tachometer. A Harley davidson carb and filter. Radiator. All the aluminum trim. Door panels. And I'm sure im forgetting some other things. The trunk is still packed with parts as well. the Seats are in really good condition. Only problem is that they are blue. I didn't find any rips. They will need to find a new home before long. I'm replacing all the interior with black from the other car.
Allen.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 3:12PM
wow, sounds like you're finding all kinds of cool treasures! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 3:43PM
you could dye the seats black
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

rx513b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rx513b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 3:47PM
Can't wait to hear what's in the trunk....
apndrvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 1:48AM
I looked for some dye but the only stuff I could find was like a spray paint. It looked good but the reviews I read on it was bad because after a while it began to wear off. Any suggestions!!! I also have buckets out of the other car that I would prefer to use but I have to make a new mounting frame for them because the ones on it were rotted out. And the seats are ripped a little.
Allen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 2:58AM
Those seats are in good enough shape (and quite dark) are you sure you couldn't just live with their blue color for a little while until you had the buckets recovered? They look like they just need a cleaning.

BTW, the dye looked good on the rocker panels. You said it went on with a brush? Can you see any brush marks or did it level out with the grain of the plastic? I've never used that stuff, and looks like it works better than the stuff I have.
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
2014 GMC Sierra
apndrvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 3:40AM
I'm gonna end up painting the car a dark green. My ocd won't let me keep the blue interior with a green car. I will just live with the ripped seat until I can find another or have it re-covered.

I was sceptical about the kit myself. After cleaning it I also was thinking there would be streak marks. But after applying a coat it dried really nice. And over all it took about 5 min for each step so 10 min total. I sped up the drying process because I'm impatient so I stood in the kitchen with the panel and started swinging it around until it was dry.
Allen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 5:36AM
I understand. My OCD would not allow brush strokes, even on panels down by your feet. Big smile
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
2014 GMC Sierra
apndrvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apndrvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2015 at 1:46AM
So I finally had a little time this week to begin working on the new blue one I have never been a fan of the bumpers on the 73s so I tried a bumper tuck to see if it helped the appearance. I ended up cutting about 3 1/2 inches off the mounts attached to the frame. I know it won't have the give they are designed for any more but I will hope that it never needs it. Here are a few pics of the progress step by step. I still have to raise the bumper itself about an inch or so but I made good progress for about 3 hours worth of time. I'm also contemplating cutting some of the side off so it dosnt go so far down the fender now. I'm also gonna remove the "horns" off the bumper for a smoother look. Let me know what yall think. I'm happy with it so far and that's all that really matters but I still value good opinions too.

Edited by apndrvs - 27-May-2015 at 1:52AM
Allen.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2015 at 6:08AM
nice work on the bumpers
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GoldFinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2015 at 5:28PM
Yep!...Good work on the bumper!
Thinking about doing something similar myself!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic