The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ankarback's 72 Torino project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ankarback's 72 Torino project
    Posted: 13-November-2010 at 4:18AM
Thought I start a new tread instead of continuing in the "welcome mat" forum.
The car is a 1972 4dr Torino in pretty good shape. The engine needs new bearings and I'm going to restore/tune it while I'm having it out of the car. When I bought the car  the engine was just placed in the engine bay for the transport, not connected to anything. Looks like everything is just diconnected or cut so it a real mess in the engine bay. It's going to take a while to figure out what everything is supposed to be.
The engine is said to be a 390 from a Galaxie but is has no ID-tag so I'm not sure what it is. Sure looks like an FE-engine though. Here's a couple of picture of what it looks like.

It's a big mess in here...

Engine is out...

Unfortunately my engine stand was to narrow so I have to modify it before mounting the engine. That's the task for tomorrow.

While checking everything I also discovered that the car doesn't have powerbrakes. Is that common? It's going to be interesting to drive...

To be continued...

/Johan

73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2010 at 10:41AM
Johan, It does look like an FE. The exhaust port shape and the intake that tucks under the the valve covers so I think you are right.

I could be wrong but I think that no power brakes also means drum brakes at all four wheels.

I hope you got some of the engine accesories as I think they may be hard to get in Sweden.

Your English is pretty good!
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2010 at 5:14AM
Thanks ! It's easier to speak english than to wright it but I'm trying..

All the accesories are in the trunk so that's no problemSmile. It's actually easy to find US-parts over here since we have a lot of older US-cars in Sweden. A lot of people like them.
Only thing is that parts are quite expensive so I order most part from overseas anyway.
I buy a lot from RockAuto, they are really good to deal with and ships parts over here in 3-4 days. Even with the freight cost, custom fees and such it's about half price compared to buying the parts over here.

The car have discbrakes in the front and drums in the rear. At rockauto they have two different master cylinders for 72 torinos, one with and one without power brakes so I guess power brakes were an option.

/Johan
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2010 at 10:24AM
Now the engine is completely dissasambled. I have found 3 pistons with worn out piston pins (lots of play), one cracked piston (not good) and one piston had a cracked piston ring, that fell out by itself.
I also found a half oil dipstick (about 5" long) in the engine. Someone must have broke it off and just left it in there...

When you have limited workspace the roof of the car works just fine as a table LOL

My garage. It's small but it's warm and dry... The roof is not bent, it's a wide angle lensWink

The cracked piston...

Now when everything is apart I have to start planning what to to with the engine. The bearings seems ok, but I'm not an expert. Looks like someone have had the engine apart before and replaced them.

/Johan
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 2:37AM
I need some opinions about my engine rebuild. The engine block is in really bad shape. I dicovered that I need a new crankshaft, new pistions, rods and a new camshaft. The block is at a machineshop right now being bored .030 over. My budget is a bit limited so I'm thinking of doing this in two stages.

I'm thinking of rebulding the engine block with really good parts,  a stroker kit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-1-94640BI/), a new camshaft and so on but leave the cylinder heads and intake stock for now. Then I get the car drivable again and I can continue with new cylinder heads, intake, headers and maybe a new ignitionsystem next winter. The cylinder heads, intake and stock ignition system looks in good shape and don't have to be replaced.

What are your thoughts about this, is it a bad or smart idea?

/Johan
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 7:50AM
IMO,bad idea cause heads need to be built for the cam and bottom end.Your gonna need double valve springs,good push rods and lifters and recomend studs and atleast roller tip steel rockers if not aluminum rockers.you could stay with stock intake but your not going to get all the performance from it.Building the heads is to insure that you don't have any mechanical issues and hurt the bottom end due to a dropped valve cause you kept old stock springs and such.Smarter to build the complete engine at one time and have everything matched for performance even if you have to keep it off the road longer.either do a stock build that is less expensive or do the stroker and build it all the way to the heads,headers and intake only enhance performance your not gonna jeaprodise the internals by using stock intake and exhaust manifolds but stock heads is a different story.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 9:02AM
I don't know how plentiful such a thing is over there, but would it be possible to find a running engine for cheap to get your car back on the road tempoarily? Then you could take your time building the engine you really want and install it later. That way you could still enjoy your car and not be tempted to cut corners or be rushed on your engine build.
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2010 at 12:57AM
I figured it wasn't such a good idea, that's why I asked. Guess i have to let it take a while longer...

An engine like this costs around $1500 and then it barely runs... Fords are not so common over here. A chevy 350 is another thing. You can find those almost everywhere and really cheap but I don't think I should try that...Wink

The cost for building a stroker engine block is almost the same as rebuilding it like stock, thats why I was thinking about doing it.

/Johan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2010 at 1:34AM
Johan, was the engime bolted up to the bell housing?

Did you decode the data plate on the rear of the drivers door? What was the original engine? It might be easier to reinstall the original engine type in your car if you now have the incorrect engine/transmission combo. I know it would not be cheap. If you have to find a trans or bell housing to match the the FE that will add to the cost of the FE rebuild/install.
Mark

ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2010 at 1:52AM
Yes, the engine has been in the car for a couple of years so everything is allready modified for it to fit.
Otherwise I would have tried to find another engine.
The car had an 351 2V engine from the factory.

/Johan
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2011 at 5:11AM
Finally got all the parts to start the assembly. While waiting for the parts to arrive I did some cleanup of the block and cylinder heads and painted them.
I bought a new crankshaft (not a stroker), a camshaft kit with new valvesprings, lifters, chain etc from comp cams. I also bought new pistons and a high volume oilpump and offcourse a new gasket set.

Engine block and cylinderheads cleaned and painted

Some of the parts

Started with installing the camshaft, all went just fine with that. When installing the crankshaft the side seals for the rear main bearing cap broke so I have to make a break and buy new ones next week. Tomorrow I'm starting with the assaembly of the cylinder heads instead.

/Johan

Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2011 at 5:31AM
Nice work! Looking at your block I find it weird to see the holes (that I assume do not go all the way through) for a 427 side oiler!! IIRC the holes just above the pan rail is for a 6 bolt main cap that was used in the 427so and maybe others. I dont know enough about FE's to know that they put tose there on every FE but its weird to see them with a 2 bolt cap in there. Wonder if that is an aftermarket block since you cant find the factory numbers and it has those holes?
s

Edit - Looks like the blocks come that way and if it was a 427 it would have 3 holes and its a 4 bolt not 6. There are 2 that bolt down and 2 that come in from the side. Sorry.

Edited by Blueoval76 - 15-January-2011 at 5:42AM
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2011 at 3:52AM
Thanks ! Your are correct about the sideoiler. What I've read they have 4 bolt main caps. 2 bolts down and 2 from the side. I'm not sure about the holes.
It is definetely a ford block. It has ford markings  everywhere :)

Just finnished putting the valves back in the cylinderheads with new springs and retainers. Looks good. Don't have a picture though.

Next thing while I'm waiting for new rear seals is to clean up the intake. I'm not looking forward to that, it's heeeaavy Ouch

/Johan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2011 at 6:07AM
Originally posted by ankarback ankarback wrote:

Next thing while I'm waiting for new rear seals is to clean up the intake. I'm not looking forward to that, it's heeeaavy Ouch

/Johan

Why not pick up an aluminum intake and shed about 20-30 pounds? That motor is looking really good and you mention it being a 390 so it should make some good power. keep up the good work. Smile 
03 Bonneville some mods
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 8:37AM
Originally posted by Blueoval76 Blueoval76 wrote:

[QUOTE=ankarback]

Why not pick up an aluminum intake and shed about 20-30 pounds? That motor is looking really good and you mention it being a 390 so it should make some good power. keep up the good work. Smile 

I'm considering that but it costs quite a bit of money so I thought i could use the old one. I believe it's  a good intake except for the weight...  I need a lot of other stuff to complete this rebuild and I'm on a limited budget.

/Johan
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2011 at 7:51AM
Time for an update. The block is almost done now. All the pistons are in place, the timing chain, front cover and a new oil pump. Discovered that I need a new oil pump pickup and a new oilpan. The old one is bent, natching the dent in the old oilpan Unhappy.
The cylinderheads are ready too so it really feels like it's actuallty an end to this project Smile After this,  the next project is to get the engine back in the car...    Here's some pictures:

All bearing caps in place and torqued to spec

Pistons are next

All pistons are in place. It's really tricky to not get the rings stuck on the way down...

Timing chain

New high volume oil pump. I think the old one was ok but it doesn´t hurt with a new one.

Looks nice :-)

Ford Gran Torino -72 4dr 390 C6 9"
Ford Bronco -91 Silver Anniversary
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2011 at 8:13AM
looking good, it's not a oil valley that you have, it's like the grand canyon LOL
isn't it possible to just cut and patch the oil pan ? If you do so, you might as well cut more and make your one high capacity oil pan, it will look good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2011 at 2:27PM
Looks good! I would have used a double roller timing chain as they stretch/wear less. They may not be easy to come by in Sweeden.

What kind of trouble were you having with the rings? I see you have a ring compressor.

What is a Skodia Fabia?
Mark

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2011 at 3:03PM
a skoda fabia is a car Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2011 at 3:15PM
Johan your build is looking very nice! Good job and I am amazed that you are able to get those parts. Do you get them local, through mail order, or do you just call a place like Summit Racing?  
03 Bonneville some mods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic