The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone used the Fatman Fabrications drop spindles?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone used the Fatman Fabrications drop spindles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone used the Fatman Fabrications drop spindles?
    Posted: 03-February-2014 at 4:44AM
I'm thinking of going with these since my car is lowered and because I'm installing wildwood brakes and wildwood doesn't make a kit for '72 front spindles.

http://www.fatmanfabrications.co/products/1965-1973-ford-torino-dropped-spindles/

Anyone have any experience with these drop spindles?

I'm also adding the Holley EFI system to my 460 so I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
My '72 restomod My Link
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2014 at 6:57AM
My buddy had nothing but bad experiences with them, including made in China parts and terrible customer service.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2014 at 10:32AM
Very interested in how the EFI works out for you . I too have a 460 that I want to upgrade to EFI.  
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2014 at 10:43AM
We're using the Holley Terminator kit and their electronic fuel pump kit so I'll let you know how it works out.  
My '72 restomod My Link
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2014 at 12:41PM
Thanks. Thinking of using the MSD unit (no return line) seems easy to install.
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2014 at 2:37PM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

Thanks. Thinking of using the MSD unit (no return line) seems easy to install.

Dan, beware of the return-less system. I read the fine print, and you need to use rubber/poly fuel line to account for pump and pressure variations. That was a deal breaker for me. Running the line would be easy, but there is a reason that fuel line is steel from the tank to the engine compartment.

I still plan to use MSD myself, as I believe it is the best system out there. But I will be doing an in tank pump. I found the ticket, and although pricey and will require a new tank (so you can cut a hole in the top) it will work well. I will post it up when I find the link (and get back to my MacBook).
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2014 at 12:24AM
Originally posted by Hey Z Hey Z wrote:

We're using the Holley Terminator kit and their electronic fuel pump kit so I'll let you know how it works out.  

X2^ I also like the Holley Terminator kit as well, looking to do this when funds allow. The Holley throttle body has trans kickdown linkage, where some others do not, not a "deal breaker" but makes installation easier. As far as installing a fuel return system, I installed and am currently using one now for my electric fuel pump/carb setup(keeps fuel cooler and supposedly easier on fuel pump), it wasn't that hard at all. Hey Z, definitely keep us posted on installation and drivability of the kit. Good luck
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2014 at 3:39AM
my 2003 Crown Vic Interceptor runs a non-return system with a poly line

millions of returnless factory production systems out there...

but punching a fitting into the tank or filler tube isn't a big deal, you can use a threaded / O-ring seal fittng near the sender unit for access, have a shop weld one in or use the Moroso filler tube kit

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-February-2014 at 3:46AM
72 GT Ute

bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2014 at 4:52AM
There is a fuel sending unit assembly which has a return line port on it. Available new.

http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/images/pics/S-F4WV.jpg

http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/gastank_sending_units_ford.html

Forum Test Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2014 at 4:56AM
that looks like it's a vapor / vent connection, a little on the small side? a return ~should be~ larger than the supply so it doesn't cause pressure on the return side. at idle or low fuel demand operation a small return won't flow the volume and will overwork the pump

but yeah you can also have the return added to your existing sender unit,
a lot easier than bringing the tank in or messing with the filler tube

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-February-2014 at 5:01AM
72 GT Ute

bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2014 at 6:56AM
I ordered the non return line model of that, saved $20 over what Dearborn Classics had for it (and subsequently avoided glacial shipping times as well).
Forum Test Account

BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2014 at 7:35AM
I think someone forgot to tell Fatman that the Torino went full frame in 1972. Check out the strut IFS link...nothing like suring up the subframe on a 72-76 Torino!
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2014 at 6:44PM
Haven't used the spindles, but I've thought long and hard about them. Currently running Crown Vic PI springs with 3/4 of a coil trimmed. May take another 1/4 off this spring to get the nose down another 1/2", but I'd rather run the spindle and a whole spring to regain clearance above the bump-stop. I'm running a 27" tire in front, though.... not as if there's a ton of room for suspension travel!

Those spindles are a fabricated component, as opposed to a machined casting. Don't know how that affects durability/longevity, but it's not as if my car will see a ton of miles, anyway......
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
geno8769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geno8769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2014 at 1:56AM
Any update on the EFI?

1973 GTS "Q" Motor
2019 F250 CC 6.7 4x4 STX

https://www.youtube.com/user/geno8769
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2014 at 10:15AM
The EFI is installed but there were problems with the spindles not working with the wildwood brake kit that was ordered so we had to ship the wildwood kit back and order a brake kit from fatman.  Until that's done I can't really give you any feedback on the EFI since I can't drive it yet.  We hope to get everything wrapped up soon and I'll update everyone as soon as we do.
My '72 restomod My Link
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2014 at 4:16AM
We finally got wildwood brakes that would work with the fatman drop spindles but now the car sits too low up front.  We're ordering new springs, probably the moog 80090, and I'll keep everyone updated.  The car should be up and running with the holley efi and new wildwood brakes soon!  I will say that the spindles are very heavy duty and very impressive.  I'll try to get some pics and post them up.
My '72 restomod My Link
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2014 at 7:08PM
Hey, Tim.. if you had the time, I'd be curious to see a list of major components and part numbers for the spindle/brake upgrade. Would like to tackle this swap, myself, one day soon.

This would make an excellent "how-to" article..

Edited by OleDutchD - 13-May-2014 at 7:09PM
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2014 at 1:47AM
Dutch I'll get the part numbers, but the spindle and brakes all ended up coming from fatman fabrications.  They've revised their set-up for the '72 Torino and it's a really nice piece, but the kit we ordered from Wildwood would not work with the spindles so we had to send them back and order the Wildwood brakes through fatman.  It was frustrating for sure but as we all know that is how it goes when working on these cars.

I will post up lots of pics and also give you my impressions of the holley efi set up as well.
My '72 restomod My Link
Gransport72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gransport72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2015 at 12:53PM
Did you ever get the spindles and brakes to work? I would be interested in those part number if you had time. I called fatman last winter and was told they didn't have spindles that would fit the '72's.
Jason
'72 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2015 at 5:06AM
I just looked at their site, they list drop spindles for various mid-60's full size Fords & Mercs using Granada rotors & Camaro calipers... I wonder would those work also?
72 GT Ute

Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2015 at 2:37AM
Yes we did get them to work with the wildwood brakes.  I still need to get the car aligned and once I do I will report back to you on how they are.  The wheels are now farther inside, but the camber is way off right now so it doesn't drive well.  Once I get the camber and alignment cleaned up I will let you know my impressions and try to get the part number too.
My '72 restomod My Link
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2015 at 12:45PM

I am using the 2" drop Fatman spindles for the 1972 Torino.  You need to measure lower ball joint dimensions where it goes through the spindle - Fatman claims there were 3 different dimensions offered on the 1972.  They fit fine except they are not as thick as the original spindle and therefore do not go all of the way down on the ball joint  - but they do seat correctly. I also used the 13" WilWood brake set-up.  Car is still under construction and I don't get to the shop much. 2" drop spindle with the 1999 Crown Vic PI 710 lb/inch springs and 275/35/20 tires on the front.  Also a 2" drop at the back on custom wound coils with 315/35/20 tires.  John Haney at Blue Oval in McDonough, GA is doing the work - fresh paint in the pics! 

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2015 at 8:25PM
Are there even detailed pictures of this mystery upright/spindle anywhere?

Originally posted by cggrob cggrob wrote:

....275/35/20 tires on the front.  Also a 2" drop at the back on custom wound coils with 315/35/20 tires.  
275s in front and 315s in rear! 'nuff said. Thumbs Up

Edited by Billy C - 22-January-2015 at 8:29PM
-Billy Conturo
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 4:49AM
I can get detailed pics of the FATMAN spindles for everyone with them mounted on the car in another 2 weeks or so.  Also, I had to add some thread to the inner tie rod ends to bring the toe in because of where the steering arms are welded to the spindle.

Once suspension is sorted out I will be moving up to a 295/35/20 & 335/30/20 combo.  The front tires are no problem but to fit the rears the frame is scalloped out and the wheelhouse moved in a couple of inches.  Also using the SPOHN upper and lower control arms - lowers are required for clearance as well, as their tubes are narrower than the stock stamped control arm.  It's all tight but it fits.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 6:49AM
That is beautiful! You are the first person I've seen that has fit 20's under the front and been able to tuck them just right.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 7:26AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

That is beautiful! You are the first person I've seen that has fit 20's under the front and been able to tuck them just right.

Ditto, I just realized that those were 20" wheels. Keep us updated with that. I like bigger wheels and tires, but the 16 or 17's are tough to find a decent tire that would look right to me.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 9:31AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Come on now...Wink

legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 10:17AM

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 12:25PM
UH?......my front wheels can actually turn?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 12:33PM
Originally posted by cggrob cggrob wrote:

UH?......my front wheels can actually turn?

My ride ain't no trailer queen! Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>