The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Body work forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAutobody and Paint Q&A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 11:44AM
Ok I drilled out all the welds on the rad support now what do I do with all the holes
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 12:00PM
And you did that to accomplish what? Panel replacement? Rust repair?

Short version:
Generally when you remove (drill out) the spot welds, a replacement panel is then inserted to replace a rusted or damaged one and then the holes are welded up solid to secure the old panel to the new panel.
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 2:31PM
well I can't tell you unless you give me more info on what your trying to do
i'm not a mind reader,Need to know what Make model and year of car your working on and what your trying to do to give you proper procedures
Photo's are helpful to,to see what your drilling out and why

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 28-February-2012 at 2:34PM
fordpower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 3:02PM
ok if I can figure out pic again will post I removed a radiator support from parts pinto and damaged one from my good car.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 3:26PM
ok if it's  welded in core support your suppose to use a spot weld drill to drill out the spot welds as
you only drill through the first layer of metal leaving the under structure metal solid with no holes.
If you used a regular drill bit and through drilled it then your gonna have issues
.Purpose is when you put the new piece on there will be holes in the top piece and the back will be solid and you grind the metal around the wholes to clean off the paint for welding,make sure you grind any old welds smooth and use the weld thru primer like explained on the 1st page  of the Welding & Rust Repair thread,before putting your new piece on.Follow the instructions I listed and what you do is clamp  it in place then fill your holes with weld till the hole is filled solid.That is what is known as a plug weld then grind your welds smooth.If you through drilled both layers,take a piece of copper pipe and flatten the end with a hammer.Using a glove to hold it,hold the flat end against the backside of the hole and then weld your holes shut be filling in the hole with weld/The weld will not stick to the copper and keeps your welding wire from going through the hole as you weld.Grind it smooh and weld thru primer and then you will be ready to attach the new piece with the holes or plug welding and the holes on the other metal will be solid so now the wire will not go trough and jut fill the holes with weld till solid

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 29-February-2012 at 1:02PM
fordpower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2012 at 12:17AM
used the spot weld bit went to far on a few. Copper that's what I need.Ok now to learn to weld.Might post pic its not a torino .
woodpecker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2012 at 12:56AM
Hey Jeff,

Good idea getting this thread / topic started.  I am one of the DIY's with little experience on body work.  One major thing that I'm going to try and tacle this year are those $%^&&^$ rust bubbles under my vinyl top.  Some of them are very small and can barely be felt others kinda crunch when you run your hand over them.  So I don't know, but I might have to replace a small section of metal in the roof where it is really bad.  Luckily the really bad place is in a flat area.

I'm concerned about getting the trim off.  Never can seem to figure out how that stuff is put on there.  do you have an pointers on removing trim?  I don't have any pictures yet but will post some later after I get the top peeled off.  I hate to take the top off as I just got the car running good and can now drive it down the street and back.  What suggestions do you have for primer?  I hear some good stuff about epoxy primers.

A little about my car;  72 GTS, bright red, black vinyl top, sport roof, n code, c6 tran, traction lock, rim blow wheel, factory air, rear window defrost, rallye equip group, laser strip (missing). 

It's gonna look ugly for a while.

Thanks,
Jeff

1972 Gran Torino Sport, fastback, bright red, 429
1924 Ford Model T, Tudor
1977 Lincoln Mark V
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix Convertible
1948 Buick Super Sedanette
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2012 at 12:40PM
Winshield and back glass molding removal

for the windshield and back glass molding you will need a windshield molding tool to release the clips.
You slide it under the molding and it hooks the clips, then pry the clip open by rocking the tool onthe triangle or pull slightly to the center to release the clips from the molding but be careful not to snag the edge of the glass with the tool as it will crack the glass.
 the tools can vary buy this is one design and they are cheap

now for the side quarter i'm not 100% sure but i think the moldings either pry up and have plastic clips or the may have a few T bolt clips also that you need to access from inside the trunk.I know the formal roofs have some T-bolts that have to be removed from inside the trunk.
Never did a fastback with vinyl so  not sure if they have any bolts from inside or just clips

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 29-February-2012 at 12:43PM
woodpecker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2012 at 12:28AM
Great information on removal of the moldings.  I'm a little more confident about removing them now.  Thanks fo the info.

Jeff
1972 Gran Torino Sport, fastback, bright red, 429
1924 Ford Model T, Tudor
1977 Lincoln Mark V
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix Convertible
1948 Buick Super Sedanette
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 2:46AM
Good luck to all with their projects and someone else will have to answer your technical questions as I can no longer do it as I have to be able to edit my own threads and now I can no longer do that as 
I don't have the privilege of editing at all and have to make changes or correct typo's so if I cannot edit I will not be doing it at all.
Sorry you can thank those who complained about me as now the others have to sufffer as well
hopefully another skilled professional or  atleast an experienced member can help you with any
Paint And Body Technical stuff
stanman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 7:33AM
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 8:29AM
oh that's a good source and I belong to that forum even though I haven't been on there much over the last year.They have a online store so you can buy stuff that they recommend also
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2012 at 2:10AM
ok I talked to Scott and he is willing to give me a second chance to prove myself and help out here with technical assistance answering your questions so I can now edit so I don't post the wrong info and lead you down the wrong path.I just didn't want to post something then after submitting find out that it was worded wrong or a typo that would give incorrect info.

so ask your questions and be glad to help

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 15-March-2012 at 7:56AM
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2012 at 2:51AM
I know I don't know you as well as many of the other guys on here, but allow me to say that I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Whether or not you were purposely shut out from making any edits, now your negative attitude against admin and whoever else just makes it harder on them to repair that and feel good about it.

This forum has had good intentions over the years to try to keep a positive outlook towards each other and our cars. Lately it seems some people have over reacted to certain comments and it's true that those comments should not have come up but hey, we're car guys and sometimes we say stupid things. 

You have worked hard yourself in trying to keep the forum positive- even I can tell that. But lets give each other some slack rather than too much flack.
-Just my take on it- that a buck might get you a cup of coffee.
Toby
'76 Ford Elite - Sold
Looking for a '72
twosfamily View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2012 at 1:39PM
Nice Avalanche! Is that a candy concentrate you used or a candy basecoat? If it is concentrate, what did you carry it with? Thanks for your time!
robot9000 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2012 at 1:54PM
"The Party to whom you are speaking is no longer in service"   ;-)

Guest is in a Time Out from this forum, so you aren't going to get a reply.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic