The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Base model Torino CJ/4spd project *update*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Base model Torino CJ/4spd project *update*
    Posted: 05-February-2016 at 6:57AM
yanked the starter off to check block ID, shows to be the cobra jet block, has 2v heads and a 70 351 4v intake. I think swappin over to the 2v heads was a good street hop up to regain some power down low and pretty common to do. I have never played around with clevelands before, always 351 windsors or 429's.

I'm a little corn-fused, why does it say "0" with these paint/trim codes and then shows 561 with that paint code?

Edited by MrSmog - 02-April-2017 at 9:19AM
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 11:13AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

yanked the starter off to check block ID, shows to be the cobra jet block, has 2v heads and a 70 351 4v intake. I think swappin over to the 2v heads was a good street hop up to regain some power down low and pretty common to do. I have never played around with clevelands before, always 351 windsors or 429's. 
2v heads with a factory 4v intake should have a serious port mis-match...
Shouldn't help performance at all. There are/were aftermarket 4v intakes for 2v heads.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 11:21AM
" I'm a little corn-fused, why does it say "0" with these paint/trim codes and then shows 561 with that paint code? "

i was wondering the same thing!???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 11:45AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

2v heads with a factory 4v intake should have a serious port mis-match...
Shouldn't help performance at all. There are/were aftermarket 4v intakes for 2v heads.

Exactly what I was thinkin, I know people run em this way, but if i end up keepin or swappin this drivetrain into another body, it will get a edelbrock performer or similar for the 2v heads for sure.

Another thing thats puzzles me is the 45 for the engine/trans combo and 20 for the rallye equipment group. To get the 351cj you had to get the rallye equipment group, so shouldn't the number for the rallye equipment group be higher, even if some people opted for another engine (351 2v/302/429) instead of the 351cj as a downgrade/upgrade option?

Edited by MrSmog - 05-February-2016 at 12:05PM

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 1:06PM
i know the 4 speed was included in the Rallye Equipment Group, and I don't think the CJ was.

Also, put me in the "that car is too rare to not restore" camp.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 1:19PM
Originally posted by GTW GTW wrote:

i know the 4 speed was included in the Rallye Equipment Group, and I don't think the CJ was.

Also, put me in the "that car is too rare to not restore" camp.

I was goin off this, check out the way things are worded for the rallye group "Rallye Equipment Group (Includes 351 CID 4V 8‑cylinder, four‑speed manual transmission, competition suspen�sion with rear stabilizer bar, G70 x 14 wide oval belted B/ WL tires with 6" wide rims and instrumentation group.) (Available only on 2‑door models. Also, 429 CID 4V engine and Cruise‑O‑Matic transmission available at extra cost. N.A. with electric clock or on Gran Torino Brougham.)"

http://grantorinosport.org/73torino04.htm

If the body wasn't so shot, I'd agree but its not cost effective for me to try and fix this one. I'll have to take some good pics of the body and you'll see what I mean. Yes I know it can be saved with enough money thrown at it, but even if I had it to spend on a "toy", I wouldn't do it. All I want is a nice rust free 4spd driver.  If someone wants to trade me a solid, good runnin and drivin 4spd torino or ranchero for this one, i'd be open to it.

torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 3:35PM
the rallye equipment group was a combination of things for the 351cj or 429 auto.no 4 speed with 429.the package was 351 cj, 4speed, competition  suspension with rear stabilizer bar instrumentation group and g70 or h70 tires.this was 442.37 for base torino and gran torino.the 429 got the c6 auto not the 4speed at no extra cost.so that group package was not on all 351 cj 4 speed cars.
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 3:38PM
just a heads up.just because you see a 351 block with the dash ca dose not mean 4bolt main.i seen it as a 2 bolt and a 4 bolt.the date says it should be a 4bolt main. 
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 3:43PM
Originally posted by torinojon torinojon wrote:

the rallye equipment group was a combination of things for the 351cj or 429 auto.no 4 speed with 429.the package was 351 cj, 4speed, competition  suspension with rear stabilizer bar instrumentation group and g70 or h70 tires.this was 442.37 for base torino and gran torino.the 429 got the c6 auto not the 4speed at no extra cost.so that group package was not on all 351 cj 4 speed cars.

ahh ok, so it was possible to get the 351cj/4sp in a base without the rallye pkg.

Yea I know Ford used whatever they had on hand as far as 2 and 4 bolt mains, I have heard other stories of mix matched engines etc in Fords back then.

torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2016 at 3:22AM
if it was a factory 4bolt it got it.if it was a 2bolt motor it got it.im just saying that the dash ca blocks came both ways.if your looking at a motor to buy you would need to pull the pan to check the mains if it had no heads. the date code on your motor is in the date of build so it should be 4 bolt but with the other parts change i would pull the pan anyways. check the back of the block for a vin stamp to see if its the motor to the car.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2016 at 4:22PM
I like THIS report. it shows the REAL numbers.

only 45 Base model 72 Torino's EVER came with the Q-Code/4-spd

only 20 Base model 72 Torino's EVER came with the Rallye Equipment

only 6(is that what is says?) Base model 72 Torino's EVER came with this color AND trim package

so the other report will show that your car...
20,000(example) 72 Base Model Torinos were made
45 with this engine/tranny
OF THAT ONLY
(20 or less) came with the Rallye Group(the number 20 is TOTAL that came, so maybe 12? of those 20 were in the 45 with that engine/tranny) 
OF THAT ONLY
(less than 6) came in this color/trim(the number 6 is TOTAL that came, so maybe 1 or 2? of those 6 were in the 45 with that engine/tranny and the 12 or so that were that color/trim) 
OF THAT ONLY
1 came with the special order gear ratio...
YOURS IS THAT CAR 

you SERIOUSLY have the ULTIMATE HOLY GRAIL OF 72 Torinos!!
More rare than ANY of the 72 Gran Torinos!
LESS of your car came out of the factory than the factory 50 or so Ram Air set ups in the 72 Gran Torino/Rancheros!!!

Time to dig in and check the block for any VIN IDs!
Original engine would make it even more AWESOME!
I would rebuild it. it will take a ton of work but it would be worth it in the long run.

IF I had the cash I would be making an offer and then rebuilding it!
I have seen some pretty far gone rot boxes get fixed!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2016 at 5:10PM
Thats not a "6" on that paint trim codes, its a "0", which i am not sure what that means? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of the rot, its pretty nasty, especially in the cowl/door jamb area. I guess I can always park it out back, use the drivetrain or just the 4spd part of it in a driver until I hit the lotto and just want to throw truck loads of money at it lol    unless someone wants to trade a solid 4 spd torino/ranchero driver for it or make me an offer i can't refuse?

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2016 at 8:03PM
There is a 74 for sale with the drivetrain that you are looking for (not original). The seller did not say what year the engine is though. If you want to see it Click here.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2016 at 3:14AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

There is a 74 for sale with the drivetrain that you are looking for (not original). The seller did not say what year the engine is though. If you want to see it Click here.

not bad at all, the west coast has all the deals on them it seems. I had seen a nice solid and runnin 72 and 73 rancheros for a package price of 4500 in wa state. Here close to me, they have rusted out junk and want $5k for em  lol 

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2016 at 3:32AM

I guess I can use the drivetrain or just the 4spd part of it in a driver.
There is one for sale which had originally came with a 351C 4V and a 4 speed transmission. Now it has a 351M 2V with a 3 speed automatic transmission.
I think that the seller wrote that the 4 speed pedals (clutch and brake) are still installed in it. And it has the factory tach and rear end in it. He said that it does run. If you want to see it Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 08-February-2016 at 3:33AM
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2016 at 4:09AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

I guess I can use the drivetrain or just the 4spd part of it in a driver.
There is one for sale which had originally came with a 351C 4V and a 4 speed transmission. Now it has a 351M 2V with a 3 speed automatic transmission.
I think that the seller wrote that the 4 speed pedals (clutch and brake) are still installed in it. And it has the factory tach and rear end in it. He said that it does run. If you want to see it Click here.

price is right but thats a crusty one. Good thing is, there are PLENTY of these cars around from coast to coast. I missed out on a rust free 1973 base model in id for 1600, perfect interior, body had some dents but not a pinhole of rust ANYWHERE. Was all original down to the dog dish hub caps, but just a hair too late to the game. heres a few decent rancheros I have found, but I'd like to hold out for a 73 formal roof car if possible. I got plenty of time to put one together and there is no shortage of these cars, just a shortage of realistic prices on them. I guess we can Thank Starsky and Hutch and Clint Eastwood for that lol

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5438509034.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5438531899.html
http://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/5438088090.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5431678457.html

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2016 at 5:02AM
There is another one for sale but it is a gran model. The seller needs to sell it fast, so he might even lower the price. If you want to see it Click here.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2016 at 4:02PM
that one in portland looks like a pretty good car, if you are serious about it, let me know... i live about an hour north of there! Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2016 at 5:07PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

that one in portland looks like a pretty good car, if you are serious about it, let me know... i live about an hour north of there! Wink

Thanks I appreciate that. I have had a Ranchero and several El Caminos over the years. I'm Really tryin hard to find a 73 Torino formal roof but when I get tired of lookin for exactly what I want, I may just put a nice solid Ranchero together. That one does look nice, would look slick with the base model front end setup on it. I found a 73 fastback not too far from me, but little bit crustier then I'd like to mess with. It would look good with that base front end too. So if the right fastback comes along, i may just do that. I been busy buyin vehicles to part out the last few days. Got a nice 87 gt mustang yesterday and gonna pick up a 97 v8 explorer 4wd tomorrow.

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2016 at 3:21PM
There is a car for sale, but the seller did not say if it is a two door or four door though. If you want to see it Click here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic