The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery draining??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery draining??
    Posted: 16-November-2003 at 6:24PM

"73 Ranchero, 351 Cleveland, 4 barrel. Went to start car, battery was dead. Went and bought new one, because the old one was going bad anyway. I put new battery in, cranked right up, left it running for 15 minutes, no problem. Next time I went to start car,(4 days), again, battery was dead. No lights were on, do not have radio, no electric fan. Recharged battery(13.5 volts), put amp. meter on positve cable, read .3 amps( reading clock?). Started car, altenator putting out 14.3. Drove car all day, next day, completly dead again. Any ideas where to look now? Thanx, Kel

rkm1003 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2003 at 9:14PM

Well after some wire chasing, found the problem ; as it turns out( no pun intended), the problem was the turn signal switch. It started out being that when I applied the brake, I could hear the blinker fuse "click". Sometime after that, when I would use the left turn signal, the right would come on too, though not as bright.  Then, when I turned the headlights on, the turn signal would not blink. Seems that there was a short in the signal cam that kept drawing power from the battery. In short, ( again , no pun intended), replaced signal cam, problem resolved. Hope this helps anyone for the future! Kel

Edited by rkm1003
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic