The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

big block install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: big block install
    Posted: 21-January-2004 at 7:50AM
I have a 73 gran torino sport Q code which is supposed to be a 351.I have a 460 that I plan on putting in it.I notice on the passenger door there is a sticker that gives the tire pressure specs. for different tire sizes and different engine sizes and the 460 is included, which makes me think they was installed from factory.I called o'reilly's and they said they only show a 429 as being the only big block.My question is will these engine mounts work or do I need special ones?         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;          gts 73
capt.b-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt.b-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2004 at 12:52AM

the 460 is externally identical to th 460.  any exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, anr bell housing that fits a 460 will fit a 429.  the 429/460 cannot be used with 351-c  motormounts.

Faitlanephil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faitlanephil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2004 at 6:43AM
Originally posted by gts 73 gts 73 wrote:

I have a 73 gran torino sport Q code which is supposed to be a 351.I have a 460 that I plan on putting in it.I notice on the passenger door there is a sticker that gives the tire pressure specs. for different tire sizes and different engine sizes and the 460 is included, which makes me think they was installed from factory.I called o'reilly's and they said they only show a 429 as being the only big block.My question is will these engine mounts work or do I need special ones?         & amp; nbsp;         & amp; nbsp;         & amp; nbsp;          gts 73
Faitlanephil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faitlanephil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2004 at 6:48AM
One thing you will need to do when you install a 429 or 460 in your 73 torino is to check to see if you will need a front sump engine setup. Most likely you will. I have done two 1968 torino 460 swaps. The engine instalation is not hard , its all the little stuff that takes time.
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2004 at 6:24AM
The 460 is a good choice for loads of torque and good reliable horse power. Plus lots of new parts out there to choose from .    Just found a 74 Elite at a boneyard this week it has a 460 in it hmmmmmmmmmm! Time for a change!!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply