The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > How-To Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boxing Rear Lower Control Arms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boxing Rear Lower Control Arms
    Posted: 08-March-2014 at 3:15PM
Will all the talk of boxing LCA's. I thought I'd share my experience.I purchased an extra set of arms on ebay, in case I screwed my originals up.Pictured here is one of the arms.I cut pieces of 1 1/2 angle iron 3/16 thick, custom ground them to fit the space in the channel. the pieces shown are to be welded around the bushing.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2014 at 3:34PM
Here's a pix of one of the spacers tacked in place, the other will go directly opposite of the one shown.

I then tacked in spacers equally spaced in the LCA, in this pix the bushings are shown removed already.

This is a shot of pressing out the old bushings
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2014 at 3:54PM
After the bushings were removed, I final welded the sleeves and primed the insided up.The flat stock shown is the same gauge of the LCA,this is what will be used to wrap the arm.

This shot is the start of tack welding the flat stock in place. I cut the pieces the same width as the arms measure at the ends.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2014 at 4:14PM
Next I heated the stock and wrapped it around the ends.

After tack welding of the flat stock, It was beer thirty!!

I then final welded both arms and ground the welds smooth.

This is what the final job looks like,painted with the poly bushing shells pressed in place.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2014 at 4:27PM
I probably have a total of 6 hrs of time and $15 dollars in materials and another $50 into the poly bushings.I will compare the weight of both my original and boxed LCA's, and post what the difference is. I'm very very happy with how they came out.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2014 at 4:38PM
John, Real nice job. I'll send you mine in the morning. Lol. Looks like a work of art
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2014 at 5:15PM
Very Nicely Done
72 GT Ute

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2014 at 4:10AM
The weight of of the stock unmodified lower arm is 6 1/4 pounds vs the boxed lower arm with ploy bushings installed is 8 1/2 pds.I think 4.5 pounds added to the car isn't too bad. Time for me to lose a couple of pounds and it'll be a wash!
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2014 at 4:19AM
Excellent write up John... will come in handy when I do mine! Thumbs Up Where did you get your poly bushing cups? The ones I got from Energy Suspension says to reuse the old ones...

THANKS!
[IMG]uploads/925/2M8OGIF.gif[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2014 at 7:59AM
You only have to reuse the cups for the upper arms, the lower arm bushings come with new cups. The stock ones for the lower arms won't work with the poly bushings.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2014 at 9:29AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

You only have to reuse the cups for the upper arms, the lower arm bushings come with new cups. The stock ones for the lower arms won't work with the poly bushings.

Thanks Vince... I knew one set had to be reused! Ouch
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2014 at 12:30PM
Yes, the upper arms retain the bushing cups shown here.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2014 at 6:49AM
John, getting ready to do this myself!
Unfortunately I already have my bushings pressed in!
So I guess I'll be weld, spray with water, weld spray with water and repeat! lol

I'll add my experience as I go too

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2015 at 6:51AM
Got mine boxed and I did pretty much like John except for a couple things....

1. My two inner spacer angles I have pointing toward the closed side of the control arm so they don't catch and hold water.

2. I left an opening at both ends where the flat starts to transition around the ends to also prevent water from collecting and to allow air to circulate within the arm to keep things dry.

see my blog for more details.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-October-2015 at 10:41PM
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2015 at 7:27PM
I did that too, only mine ain't as purty.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2015 at 11:15PM
Do you feel any bind in the suspension travel after boxing the control arm? I'm thinking of doing my arms too and add poly bushings to the mix
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2015 at 12:55AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

Do you feel any bind in the suspension travel after boxing the control arm? I'm thinking of doing my arms too and add poly bushings to the mix

Ilyes, my car isn't finished just yet, but moving the rear suspension thru it's range of travel it feels like things are moving smoothly.

One tip when using the polyurethane bushings... GREASE THEM UP GOOD WITH THE POLY BUSHING LUBE BEFORE ASSEMBLY and it will make putting thing together go much easier and will also nip the noise in the bud from the get go!! Thumbs Up
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2017 at 11:31AM
After boxing the LCA, is there a spherical bearing available that can be used at the LCA/frame bolt point?
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2017 at 1:15PM
there is for the front end, i think a company does make some rod end arms for the rear?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2017 at 1:34PM
Spohn makes their own arms with spherical bearings but I don't know of anyone that makes them for stock arms.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic