The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake upgrade?
    Posted: 27-October-2017 at 5:12AM
Curious to know if any of you have done anything to upgrade your brakes.

I recently came across an article detailing how Shelby installed 67 Fairlane wagon brakes on his Mustangs as an upgrade, so I took a look at Rockauto, and it appears that Montego/Torino wagons had bigger brakes too.  11" drums vs. 10" on the rear, and 11.72" rotors vs. 10.72 on the front.

Doing a "period correct" upgrade sounds kind of cool to me.  Using station wagon brakes on the rear seems easy enough, just replace all the parts, but I'm not so sure on the front.  The rotors are obviously bigger, but the calipers are the same.  There must be a difference in the Knuckle, or caliper bracket, or maybe it's drilled for both?  I haven't looked closely enough to figure that out yet.

Apparently, the bigger brakes require a 15" wheel, so this wouldn't work for those of you running factory 14" wheels.  I was surprised to find the smaller brakes on my Montego GT, so the bigger ones must have been wagon only.

Advise?  Comments?  Opinions?

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2017 at 6:51AM
Not sure if this info will be at all helpful, but here goes:
  9 times out of 10 the larger 11.72" rotors also have the larger 5 on 5" bolt pattern. There were a couple/few years where F/L/M used the larger rotor with the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, but the changes don't stop there, add in differences in (A)spindle design, (B)wheel bearing difference, (C)caliper and/or (D)caliper mounting brackets and it can quickly become confusing. I have stated in another thread where you can just re-drill the larger 5 on 5" 11.72" diameter rotors for 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern to save the headaches of spindle change(the larger rotors use the exact same wheel bearings and seal as the 10.72" rotors) and etc. to get larger/better front brake rotor size. This mod does require the larger fullsize(Lincoln) bracket caliper mounting brackets(direct bolt-on) and retains the '73-'79 calipers. 
  As far as larger rear drum assemblies mounted onto small bearing housings, I have a '72 Lincoln Mark IV rear axle under my '79 Ranchero, it is a small bearing design but had 11"x 2.25" rear drums. When I modified my braking system to use 2000 Ford Crown Vic rotors/calipers front and rear it did not take long to sell that rear drum set-up. Most 11" rear drums did not come on small bearing housing, they were usually relegated to 10" drums, the axle retainer bolt pattern(2.00" X 3.375") is the biggest hurdle to over come and the '72 Mark IV had that pattern. Larger rotors and/or calipers usually require larger wheels, as you previously have found.   

www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2017 at 10:46AM
yes what todd said! FYI after 74 the bearing sizes for the spindles are the same full size to mid size cars
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2017 at 3:13PM
the wagon rear backing plates with the correct axle flange pattern bolt may be tricky to find these days

now i wonder what those backing plates I've been saving are?
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2017 at 12:43PM
There was a detailed thread on this at some point. From my experience, the problem ends up being quality rotors. I seemed to warp the stock aftermarket replacement rotors so fast. I ended up taking the plunge and going to 5 on 5 with a totally custom front brake setup. I have a rebuild 79 Lincoln axle in the back but the brakes actually seem a little bit too large for the setup. I haven't got around to playing with it much but having taper rollers in the back is worth the upgrade in its self. The small ball bearing housings are pretty crappy especially for high side loading with modern tires.
-Billy Conturo
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2017 at 2:06PM
Carl,
the devil is in the details. It matters which car you have. 72 and I believe early 73 have a different sized spindle (as far as the bearings go).  So which you have will determine what you can do. Unless you want to swap spindles that is. LOL
I am currently gathering pieces to do the 72 Thunderbird 12 inch front brake swap on my 72 Ranchero.
It sounds like the cheaper way would be for me to swap newer spindles in and buy the 5x5 lug pattern rotors and have them redrilled. If I can't find the Thunderbird rotors I may have to consider that route.

Here is a good review of what is what for the front disk brakes upgrades using factory Ford brakes.
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/front-brake-upgrades-info_topic13965.html
Note that you HAVE to use the larger Ford caliber mounting bracket if you go with the 12 (really 11.7)inch rotors. The calipers however are the same.

It can get really confusing fast though. I have some other links to threads here on the site that may help or may make it really bad if you want.

Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply