The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cannot fill my gas tank 72 GTS factory original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cannot fill my gas tank 72 GTS factory original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannot fill my gas tank 72 GTS factory original
    Posted: 27-July-2018 at 3:43AM
I have read all the posts on this subject.

When the gauge reads empty, I can only get about 14 gallons in before it shuts off, even if I move the nozzle around and fill VERY SLOWLY. At this point the gauge reads 7/8 to 15/16 full, not fully pegged well above full which is typical for Fords of this vintage.

1. ) I don’t think it’s the gauge as it reads the same on two different factory gauges.

2.)    I don’t think it’s the sender as it runs out of gas 20 miles after showing empty.

3.)    There is no rust/debris showing in the glass in-line filter I installed just before the fuel pump.

4.)    Removed the tube at the charcoal canister and blew back down the tube and it seems restricted and there is no heavy fuel smell.

5.)    There is a small dent in the bottom of the tank and I’m wondering if the pick-up tube is right there and the tube has been bumped upward.

What have I missed?

Is my only option to remove the tank and inspect/replace the breather valve and inspect the fuel pick-up tube? Confused

Edited by fordismyboss - 27-July-2018 at 8:53AM
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 4:05AM
Sounds like the sensor is at fault.  There may be corrision at the top of the sender's sweep not letting the gauge show it's full sweep. if you can remove the wire from the sender, try grounding it to the chassis with the key on-if the gauge sweeps past full, I'd replace the sender.  If it doesn't, it may also be nicked wires or corroded contacts in the plug on your gauges, the sender or someplace in between.  Hope this helps!Thumbs UpBig smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 5:19AM
Originally posted by 7T9_Tbird 7T9_Tbird wrote:

Sounds like the sensor is at fault.  There may be corrision at the top of the sender's sweep not letting the gauge show it's full sweep. if you can remove the wire from the sender, try grounding it to the chassis with the key on-if the gauge sweeps past full, I'd replace the sender.  If it doesn't, it may also be nicked wires or corroded contacts in the plug on your gauges, the sender or someplace in between.  Hope this helps!Thumbs UpBig smile

The gauge currently reads 7/8 full and I just added 14 gallons before the pump shut off. When I short the connector on the tank to ground, the gauge sweeps past full as it should. If I had 20-21 gallons in the tank I believe the sender would send the proper signal to the gauge and it would sweep past full again. This is why I think it's the breather valve not allowing the air bubble in the top of the tank to escape......but? I even filled the tank at a gas station that had a sloped driveway dropping the nose of the car. I was hoping this would allow more gallons into the tank.....but even this did not work!  

Any more ideas?

THANK YOU!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 7:38AM
get rid of the glass filter!

you can remove the sender w/o dropping the tank or spilling fuel if the level is low, pull the sender and inspect / clean the rheostat

then find the vent line from the tank where it connects to the canister and see if you can pull a vacuum on it with a vac-ula tool with the gas cap off or when you have the sender out. this same test with the sender installed and the cap on will test the cap vent
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 7:52AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

get rid of the glass filter!

you can remove the sender w/o dropping the tank or spilling fuel if the level is low, pull the sender and inspect / clean the rheostat

then find the vent line from the tank where it connects to the canister and see if you can pull a vacuum on it with a vac-ula tool with the gas cap off or when you have the sender out. this same test with the sender installed and the cap on will test the cap vent

I have a vac-ula tool. Do I understand this correctly?: with the gas cap off, I should not be able to pull a vacumn, thus the valve will be venting into the canister? With the gas cap on, I should be able to pull a vacumn, thus the valve is closed so fuel will not migrate to the canister?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 8:37AM
i would expect you should be able to pull a vacuum at all times with the cap on or off, thus the tank is able to vent

same line of thinking you should also be able to blow (gently) into the tank at all times as a function of venting

fuel expands and contracts so the vent should allow pressure transition both ways?

testing with the cap on & off is only confirming that the cap is not preventing tank venting

Edited by Rockatansky - 27-July-2018 at 8:39AM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 2:26PM
hmm if it runs out 20 miles past empty and not quite going to full...i'd guess the float rod needs tweaked down about 1/8" at the float Wink sounds like you still have a couple gallons in the tank when it reads "E" 

Edited by californiajohnny - 27-July-2018 at 2:27PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 2:52PM
i forgot to mention be prepared to replace the complete sender or float upon inspection

the float just snaps into a wire loop, you can pop it out and shake it, determine if it's 'heavy' or just replace it

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2018 at 2:06AM
I am kind of thinking along the lines of Johnny.  Make sure your tank is actually empty when it reads empty. I would tend to think it's something not adjusted correct with the float (too heavy) and or the sending unit isn't reading correctly.  I'd probably pull it to inspect if it were my car.
I know my '72 is a royal pain to fill up completely and I likely never get it completely full.  I find you have to go very slow when it's near full, other wise it spills out from that vent line connected to the neck.  So I have not doubt part of the reason is these cars are just difficult to fill to 100%.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2018 at 11:49AM
I just ruled-out the breather valve because I can hear air going both ways through the valve at about a 5-8 PSI with the gas cap off. As noted above, the valve must be for expansion and contraction, and also to replace the fuel with air as the fuel is consumed. I do not believe this valve allows for air to be displaced by fuel during filling. Seems too much air pressure is required to open the valve to be effective during re-fueling. Unless the valve is defective.

Regardless if the sensor is working or not, when I run out of gas I should be able to get 20 gallons into this 22 gallon tank!

I'm going to order a new sensor/pick-up and report back. Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2018 at 12:29PM
IIRC there's a filler tube vent built in for air transfer while filling the tank
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2018 at 5:47AM
yes there is a 3/4" dia. vent tube at the top of the filler neck area of the tank, at least on all the 74's i parted out did...
 you wouldn't think that with a fill tube of 2 1/2" dia. wouldn't allow air to pass as the filling of gas is only running down a portion of that tube??? but we dropped the tank on one of my step bro's ranger, it had a small hose inside the fill hose when i put the tank back in we forgot the stupid small hose , it would fill but you had to go slow or it would spit gas back outConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 7:13AM
I FINALLY installed the new sending unit!

Recap: when I "filled" the tank the most I could put in was about 14-15 gallons, the gauge would read 7/8 full. When empty it still seemed to have about 3-5 gallons in the tank.

Upon removal, the old unit looked in perfect condition. No fuel in the float either. The inside of the tank was as close to new as you could get. I was stunned.Tongue No need to replace the tank!

I went ahead with the install of the new unit and when I "filled" the tank again.........drum roll..........the gauge now reads 1/2 full!!!!!!!!!!!AngryAngry

Now I wish I compared the arm travel of the old v. new unit! Does the old unit look like a Ford original part?

More to come on this issue.

Edited by fordismyboss - 26-January-2019 at 7:25AM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 8:27AM
the resistance range is critical when using non original  parts from my experience.

i'd test each sender out of the tank, connected to the cars wiring (you'll need to clamp on a ground wire to the top or the hose barb if the plug don't have a ground)
 move the float all the way down...does the gauge read E? now move it all the way up... does it read F?
do the same with the new unit...

if the travel of the float is correct inside the tank area (not hitting any obstructions), if it can't go down without hitting and up without hitting then the float rod would need shortened Wink
 chances are it may need bent a hair if it goes all the way to E or F but not the opposite, if that makes sense?

check that the connections at both the gauge and the sender are clean and snug fitting!
if neither senders read correctly doing it manually out of the tank, then maybe the gauge isn't reading correctly??? ShockedConfused

Edited by californiajohnny - 26-January-2019 at 8:28AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 8:31AM
disregard the part i said about the additional jumper ground wire... i see the ground terminal in the pic Embarrassed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 9:20AM
is it just me or is the length of the tube on the shiny one much shorter than the other,

and why are the floats oriented opposite?
72 GT Ute

hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 11:07AM
Tube lengths are indeed different. Could be for a different tank, different year, manufacturer,etc....it will affect how long the fuel can be picked up. But if the tanks bottoms both match the tube, then both should be empty at the correct time. If the short tube is put in a tank that should have a long tube, the it will run out of gas before it really actually runs out of gas. The fuel level will run out of tube length first.

The float-- they are simply on different sides because sombody clip them on on different sides. They just clip into the wire U.

Dave
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 12:28PM
shiny rheostat also looks to be higher on the shorter tube

i know they just snap into the wire loop, if the float sits on the sock it'll never drop down all the way if that should be the case.

hard to tell laying down the way they are

Edited by Rockatansky - 26-January-2019 at 12:29PM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2019 at 2:07PM
You're right......tough to tell from that angle. I have one that I THINK is the same thing as the bright shiny (probably stainless steel) one. I'll go out and see if that arm is long en0ugh for the float to drop past the end of the sock.

Dave
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 4:09AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

is it just me or is the length of the tube on the shiny one much shorter than the other,

and why are the floats oriented opposite?

Yes, the pick-up tube on the new one is shorter. I wish I checked the tube angle when I noticed the difference.

Both floats appear able to go down all the way.

I wonder if MAC's sent me a sender for a Mustang or something else. I'll check the box and the on-line images.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 4:20AM
hmm, possible, mac's have been really good with all the stuff i got from them, except they sent mustang door bushings for my torino. now with all the recent mustang parts... i asked them to toss in a catalog, they did! but for a falcon Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 11:10AM
the difference could be for different capacity tanks?
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 11:29AM
And wasn't there another forum recently where there was a discussion of the later tank on a '72.....a little less angle, a little more fuel, etc.....? It would make sense then.......I'll get out after supper to look at my extra sender--it came out of a '78 cougar (and it was a brand new one in a brand new tank with brand new straps......before the interior obviously caught fire and then burned up. That's the one that I got all the parts from that I have listed in the ''parts for sale' section.

Dave
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 11:31AM
try putting that sender in, maybe it's a winner ...

Edited by Rockatansky - 27-January-2019 at 11:31AM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2019 at 3:14PM
Sending unit from '78 cougar- yes I know it's not the '72 torino... but it's for comparison and extrapilation. Hope it help somehow..... if it warms up a bit next weekend so I can dig through the snow and into my parts car, I'll get out THAT sending unit which Is SUPPOSED to be for a '72....

"Full"

"Empty"

Looks like the float contacts the tube but it really doesn't...
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2019 at 6:06AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

the resistance range is critical when using non original  parts from my experience.

i'd test each sender out of the tank, connected to the cars wiring (you'll need to clamp on a ground wire to the top or the hose barb if the plug don't have a ground)
 move the float all the way down...does the gauge read E? now move it all the way up... does it read F?
do the same with the new unit...

if the travel of the float is correct inside the tank area (not hitting any obstructions), if it can't go down without hitting and up without hitting then the float rod would need shortened Wink
 chances are it may need bent a hair if it goes all the way to E or F but not the opposite, if that makes sense?

check that the connections at both the gauge and the sender are clean and snug fitting!
if neither senders read correctly doing it manually out of the tank, then maybe the gauge isn't reading correctly??? ShockedConfused

Test the old unit?Wink Ok, so yesterday I did just that!

I unplugged the connector from the new unit which is in the tank, to the old unit set-up with the float in the EMPTY position. Turned on the key and the needle moved up very slightly to just below the empty position. Good! Turned the key off, put the float into the FULL position, turned on the key and watched the needle sweep past full and peg at the stop, just like it should! This confirms my old sender is good and it may be sitting slightly above the bottom of the tank(which I will check), OR my tank vent valve must be bad because I could never get the tank full.

MAC's have one for $65! Is there a good LOW COST FORD TANK VALVE out there that will fit a '72 Torino? I can't find one!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2019 at 9:21AM
is that vent just a plastic elbow in the top of the tank or does it go in to the bottom of the tank??? IDK never removed one but i have a couple good tanks i saved...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2019 at 9:51AM
i forget where i got mine but don't pay Wacko $

plan on replacing the grommet any time you mess with one Wink

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-tank-vent-valve-ranchero-torino-1972-1979.html
72 GT Ute

72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 5:09AM
If I remember correctly I used one for a jeep and it worked let me see if I can find the part number.
72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2019 at 5:16AM
Found it the part is made by Dorman #911-060 I also bought the seal here you can see some of the parts I used.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>