The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb and possibly dirty gas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb and possibly dirty gas?
    Posted: 22-January-2020 at 9:58PM
When I bought this 72 Ranchero, it would run as long as you dribbled gas into the carb. Pump pumping plenty of gas.

I switch carbs to a new factory reman'd Holley Street Avenger (I think) 500 two barrel after a failed attempt at rebuilding the Holley that came on the car(IMPORTANT POINT HERE, I FAILED, I  am NOT good with carbs). Car ran ok on pump alone. I had just jury rigged a fuel line at the time, went back to make it better. Ended up removing the carb's inlet filter to try to put a different steel line on it. Probably my mistake, as I couldn't get the filter back in.

Now the car is doing the same thing, will run all day as long as you dribble the gas in from above.
Still pumping plenty of gas.

So apparently I hosed this carb. I am hoping I can spray carb cleaner into the inlet, as well as the rest of the carb, and install a cheap plastic/glass filter in line just to verify this is the fix.I have 3 extra filters for it, thinking the PO never cleaned out the tank. Once the filters run clean I will replace it with a good one.

Am I on the right track? Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2020 at 8:04AM
sounds like you have some crud blocking the fuel at the carb or the needle valve.
My initial thought was that you had a vacuum leak, that would explain the problem even with a rebuilt carb, but if the new carb ran until you tied it to the regular fuel line, it's likely plugged.
My car regularly would "run outta gas" due to the old fuel system clogging up. Running double filters helped a tad, but the issues didn't really get resolved until I removed all the rubber lines and poured carb cleaner down the hardlines several times and then pushed compressed air through.
4 or 5 cycles of that and new rubber hoses and it's been perfect. (Oh, and I cleaned the gas tank over the course of a week.)
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2020 at 11:50AM
Thanks. I sprayed it with Berryman's a couple of times, including into the fuel inlet.
Got the cheapo glass filter on, and once it got gas to the carb  it fired right up and kept running.
I had wanted to move it as we need to rearrange the driveway, but almost no brakes and the car didn't want to keep running without my foot on the gas while moving. So no go for that for right now.
But it is running, YAY!Clap
Russ
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2020 at 4:47PM
any of the rubber lines could be dry and rotted maybe sucking air instead of gas? i thought that was the issue with alex's wagon ( the one joe is currently parting out) we messed with it for a couple hours not getting fuel! once we got the tank out  i found the pick up tube was completely clogged in the tank after some spraying and running a wire or cable down through we got it mostly cleaned out then gas came through Wink that car was from AZ too...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2020 at 5:00PM
Guess I wasn't too clear.EmbarrassedShocked
Getting plenty of gas to the carb, just not going through the carb.
But like I said, cleaned it with Berryman's cleaner, and put the cheap filter inline for now.
Working good, need to get the choke connected (just one positive wire) and might need to adjust the idle. Idles way fast in Park, but when put in gear now it dies. That I can fix, I hope.
Looking at buying a Ranger with our tax refund, so this isn't such a hot issue as of tonight.
Pinto will be full project car, this will be semi-project.
Thanks,
Russ

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2020 at 5:21PM
hmm high idle and dying in gear... sounds like a vacuum leak? but could be internal carb issues too???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2020 at 5:48PM
Check the rubber modulator hoses for transmission too. Look at all the vacuum lines where they plug onto the nipples. Over time they tend to expand and match the shape of the little nub itself. If it ain't tight it ain't right.

Are the mixture screws on the carb roughly 1-1/2 turns out from the seats?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2020 at 7:16PM
set the float level first, then adjust the mixture screws
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply