Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning underside of Hood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning underside of Hood
    Posted: 20-April-2014 at 10:06AM
I have had the hood off my car during the winter and I am getting ready to reinstall it. I'd like to clean the grease and grime on the bottom side with a pressure washer before I reinstall. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to go about this without damaging the paint on my hood? I prefer to do it with the hood off the car so I don't get dirt all over the engine.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 10:44AM
If its dirty, use Simple Green and a scrubber sponge like for doing dishes.  They make no scratch ones.  I did this with my 71 Torino hood before putting it back on.  Simple Green, go over it with scrubby pad and the actually just used my garden hose on it.  My 72 I did it on the car with a cleaner was.  what a pain in the ass twisting myself half way around upside down.  I twas worth it though!
Mike
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 10:51AM
if it's fairly fresh oil, 409 cleaner works really good, i don't know if you have stuff called awesome (similar to 409) there in canada but that works really well for degreasing then pressure wash in off, keep the pressure wand about 1 foot away from the hood so it's not blasting the paint, i've also used oven cleaner to degrease the engine compartment, but some may remove paint
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 10:55AM
Simple green and a soft brush like you use for vegetables work good. Rinse good and let dry in the sun before reinstall. Got all the Yuck/mold/EEECH off mine that way. (Under-hood insulation looked like a chia pet)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 11:43AM
Thanks for the advice! But one question remains? How do I sit the hood to clean the underside? I just have it sitting on a couple of saw horses now. It would be easy to stand it up vertically to clean it, but I don't wan to do that since it will damage it or the paint? Do I just have to crawl under the saw horses or is there a better solution?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 12:04PM
turn it over on the sawhorses, wash and rinse, and turn it over again (right-side up) to drain and dry
Edit: put something on the sawhorses to protect the paint

Edited by Big Bird - 20-April-2014 at 12:05PM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 12:05PM
Doing that will scratch the paint on the top side of the hood, would it not?

Edited by 72FordGTS - 20-April-2014 at 12:06PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 1:47PM
I always lay a couple of towels on the driveway, sit the hood upright and lean it against something with a fluffy towel cushioning it. The towels get wet and hold the hood steady.

I use diluted Purple Power. Gets everything off with a soft long-bristled brush. The long bristled brush gets all the narrow cracks and areas easier than a sponge and your chances of getting sliced on the sharp edges (everywhere) are greatly reduced.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 2:48PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Gets everything off with a soft long-bristled brush. The long bristled brush gets all the narrow cracks and areas easier than a sponge and your chances of getting sliced on the sharp edges (everywhere) are greatly reduced.

Right there is some solid advice. I did mine by laying it in the grass on a blanket (washing machin later) upside down and started in the middle. I started with a sponge but immediately switched to brush because of the cuts I was getting. I used a product I had left over from a "midnight requesition" from my military days. We used it to remove the black exhaust stains from the planes while not harming the paint. Only side effect I noticed was that it attracks bees.  If I was you, I would look at diluted Dawn dish detergent. Great at cutting grase and grime, but you will also have to put a fresh coat of wax on it when you are done. Rinse really well and good luck.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 4:27PM
i set mine on its side, on edge, with some moving blankets on the ground under it and leaned it against the fence.
Mike
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2014 at 4:45PM
yes, that purple power (made by castol) is good at degreasing, i used some on oil stains on my concrete floor, worked awesome. standing up on it's side would work, put an old blanket folded up several times for cushion, get some help standing/moving the hood, set it down on the blanket gently, you should be fine
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2014 at 5:17AM
And be very careful with the purple power.  read the directions carefully for diluting it.  Full strength will strip the factory paint off of painted steel wheels.  The reason I used simple gree nis that ots biodegradable and you dont have ot worry about diluting it.  i used it to degrease the engine bay in my 71 along with a pressure washer and then as described above to do the underside of my hood WITHOUT using a power washer.
Mike
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2014 at 6:04AM
I use mine full strength on engines, undercarriage, underhood components with no issue. 50% for something with good paint I want to keep shiny. Never let it dry on a painted surface or use in direct sunlight, will strip wax off easily. I have had exceptional luck with it for anything I wanted clean but will wreak havoc with certain printed decals - wipes the ink right off.

Edited by unlovedford - 21-April-2014 at 6:05AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2014 at 11:39AM
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I should be able to get it done.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply