The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Core/Radiator Support Bushing INFO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2016 at 4:13PM
chuck, maybe the 72's are a little different? are your frame holes round or slightly hex shaped? IIRC mine were hex shaped and the washer just covered that original hole, the extended inner part of the upper bushing should fit into the large washers. if you have the new bushings you can see the size of flat washers you will need to get, and then lay the washer on the frame over the hole and use the washer for a template to mark where and how much to enlarge the frame holes if necessary Wink those bushings are fairly large and will hide any marring of the paint (as long as you don't go all crazy "mid-evil" on it enlarging the holesShocked) and after your finished you can just dab on some primer and paint for protection with a small brush, which will be totally hidden by the bushings Big smile 

Edited by californiajohnny - 26-August-2016 at 4:35PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 6:34PM
I think I've remembered the situation that's led me to this point.
The original openings in the frame were in fact hexagonal and my choice for replicating that in a circle was to use the measurement for the "flats". If I'd have used the "points" I'd have had the 1 1/4" measurement.  

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 7:28PM
something that i forgot to mention, i also used two of these 1/2" flat bolt retainers on top of the bushing (one per each side) to hold the bolt up in the bushings and put the upper gold washer over that and snugged it all down with a regular 1/2" nut to compress it all then removed the nut. so it's all together just like the original bushings were then the core support can be placed on top just like factory.

Dorman 45853 Bolt Retainer   1/2 In. available at the local hardware store

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2016 at 2:20PM
At the moment I'm using cut pieces of 2X4's so I can mount the radiator to run the car. LOL

Edited by lynchster - 28-August-2016 at 2:21PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 7:41AM
Okay, I just went though this 2 weeks ago...

I boggled this for a while.  One thing I could not quite understand is why Ford put one rubber bushing under/in the frame and one on top (but under the radiator mount).

This presented the problem - I could not find big enough bushings to fit (Stop me if you've heard this before, lol). The holes in my frame were about 2+ inches across.  Not sure if that is rust or what, but thats pretty big, as you have all found out.

Sooo. I ended up buying a similar kit to CalJohy.  9.4101 (not red).  A replacement bolt (3x1/2 course thread) and a 2in washer per side.  The key to the 4.4101/2 kit is that the two pieces are designed to fit together tightly.   One fits inside the other.  

My process:

I ground the area clean and welded on some pretty thick sheet steel I had around to basically cover/fill the factory hole. 

I measured and marked the center of the frame rails and the rad mount and lined them up, so its centered. I knew from previous measurements it is 44 inches from the firewall to the edge of the rad support at the hood stop.  So that gave me a ball park front/back spot.

I marked the center of the rad support hole and drilled into the new steel.  

Then I basically put it back together but the urethane bushing sat on TOP of the frame rail and sandwiched the rad support.  I did add a 2in washer to the head side of the bolt under (inside) the frame rail to shore that up a bit but no bushing. 

My 2 extra washers plus what came with the kit had it all together in 10 min (not counting welding and grinding).  

The rad support sits the correct amount off the frame (approx 1 inch) and is held in place by 2 urethane bushings to allow it to move (not sure why is mounted on bushings either, but that;s a different discussion).

I suspect, using this method, you could use smaller bushings.  Seems 2 inch work well. I'll try and post pic's later this week.

Thanks !
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 11:57AM
The reason for the bushings on both sides of the frame is to isolate the vibrations from the frame to the body and to allow any twisting between body and frame if needed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 7:30PM
I never added to this. Sorry for not being around much in the last few years and trying to help provide this info!

Here is what I did:
So here's an original core support with bushings. 
I originally got core support busings for an 80's LTD from a local ford dealer that has NOS stock. These turned out to be the wrong material and too soft and they collapsed.

At this point my car is totally in the Joe Dirt stage and just barely under it's on running power...

Originally I bought a strut rod kit from Energy suspension for a 60's Nova 2 but while it fit fine, it was not right. 

Enter the Energy suspension unreal mount kit:

Here is the universal mount kit vs. the smaller nova kit:

This universal kit is a bit larger but not to worry:

Keep in mind at this point I'm a moron and thinking I need to enlarge the opening on the rad support, but not the case. I had to clean up the frame holes on my frame.

Installed: 

I have three videos uploaded regarding a few details on my Photobucket but for some reason my browser is not allowing me to load them and my phone app isn't giving me audio.

Here was my first video. Note, I was screwed up on thinking the arrangement but hopefully it might help show things.
http://vid80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/Eliteman76/Videos/MOV02115.mp4

First reference video:
http://vid80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/Eliteman76/Videos/Torinoradsupport-LH-4-29-2011.mp4

Second reference video:
http://vid80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/Eliteman76/Videos/Torinoradsupport-RH-4-29-2011.mp4

Hope this helps a bit.
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic