The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coyote 5.0 into 73 Ranchero GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 4:41AM
Originally posted by DaleR09 DaleR09 wrote:

Have you thought about doing a Crown Vic front crossmember / suspension on it? Was thinking that the Coyote is a rear sump pan, and the old suspension is a front sump / rear steer..... 

One of the reasons I decided to do this is because people said it couldn't be done. Many of my cars started from that premise, lol. So no, I'm going to use the stock frame :)
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 4:42AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

Cool project!  Looking forward to your updates and progress.

I'm digging that 66-67 Fairlane in the background.  Assuming that's not yours?

That's actually a ranchero too. EfI 5.0 from an 88 truck. The customer did the work.....I'm redoing the work, lol.
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 9:32AM
Some good progress today Got the old warhorse out of there....

Then it was time to see how the new setup was going to fit. I pulled the oil pan off, since it wasn't going to fit with the rear sump. I will slice it at the rail, and flip it around and reweld it to solve that issue. But I was curious to get it off the motor so I could see if the truck 5.0 had oil squirters, as that seems to be a big online debate. And mine does have them....

Then it was time to mock up the fit and mounting. Interestingly, the stock 351M mounts fit flat up against the 45* angle of the motor, and dropping the 5.0 onto them actually put it in a good place. The bolt holes didn't line up with the block of course, but a simple plate could solve that. Then I decided noticed that the stock frame has two big holes under where the stock mounts bolt up. That's how 96-04 4.6 mounts attach, of which I had a set. Bolted them to the block, and then was amazed that they drop right into the factory holes in the frame like it was meant to be.... :)

I'm going to space the engine up about an inch from there, since I have tons of room to go up, and that will give me a little more room for custom headers. 

With the 96-04 mounts, the trans mount on the C4 is about an inch away from the stock crossmember holes (with the crossmember in the forward frame holes), so that's an easy fix. 

This is how she sits in the car right now. As I said, I'm going to space the motor up about an inch from where it sits in these pics...

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 10:11AM
man that thing is wide! yeah raising it an inch will definitely be a plus
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 10:43AM
In the picture below, the outline of the modular motor (DOHC) is shown in a black outline, the 351 engine is shown in the red outline and the FE engine is shown in the green outline. The height and size of the upper intake plenium is not shown for the modular motor.

Edited by dave302 - 01-January-2017 at 11:38AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 11:35AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

In the picture below, the outline of the modular motor (DOHC) is hown in a black outline, the 351 engine is shown in the red outline and the FE engine is shown in the green outline. The height and size of the upper intake plenium is not shown for the modular motor.

You can't go by that picture for this motor. The Coyote 5.0 in much more compact than the old 4.6 DOHC. 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2017 at 12:21PM
Do take and post lots of pix on the motor install.
Didn't realize that there were holes that a mod mount lined up on.

The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 6:17AM
gotta love it when Ford parts come together for a custom swap
like Henry using crate lumber for floor boards

that's Wacko that it fits like that Thumbs Up

I've been wondering how Mod motors would line up on the 302/351W/351C small block mounts 
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 11:52AM
Little more progress on the 3 day weekend before I have to push it back outside lol.

Got the oil pan fabbed up. Sliced an inch from the rail, flipped around, and rewelded. I gotta say.... I have done modular pan flips before on 4.6 and 5.4 conversions, and this 5.0 pan was a total PITA. The other pans are just rectangular all the way around....just slice, flip, reweld. But the coyote pan is stamped with ribs all the way around, and of course when you flip it, the ribs no longer line up. So quite a bit of metal working to make it all line up for welding. Also, the coyote pan has a big drop hump in it that was hitting the frame crossmember. I had to section that hump out and weld in a filler panel.

Honestly, if I had to do this again, I'd just pony up the $400 for the Canton coyote front sump pan, and do the minor modifications to it to make it fit. 

Here's the filler section added in:

The pan filpped around,  rewelded and back on the motor for fitment:

And a shot of the motor raised an inch and with the intake on:

I've got a set of energy suspension motor mounts and trans mount coming, so I'll be able to set my final engine/trans placement once I have the actual mounts I'm using. 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 12:49PM
who's faster you or Cal-Johnny?

watch that energy trans mount, they're tough enough to break cases. besides the strut pivots that's another place where the pliability of stock rubber works well

are the drive line angles happy with the height of the engine?

now tell me the stock driveshaft is gonna fit ... ?
72 GT Ute

gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 2:25PM
what kind of h.p. do those engines create?
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 2:52PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

who's faster you or Cal-Johnny?

watch that energy trans mount, they're tough enough to break cases. besides the strut pivots that's another place where the pliability of stock rubber works well

are the drive line angles happy with the height of the engine?

now tell me the stock driveshaft is gonna fit ... ?

Driveline angles will be great when done. Haven't checked the driveshaft, but I highly doubt it going from a C6 to a short C4.
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2017 at 2:57PM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

what kind of h.p. do those engines create?

The Mustang 5.0 makes 435hp, the F-150 version makes 385hp. Main differences power wise are 10.5 cr for F-150 and 11.0 cr for Mustang, different intake cams, and different headers. 

I'm using the F-150 motor, but will be doing custom headers and putting in the Mustang intake cams. So should be about 400 hp, and 400 ft lbs. 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2017 at 11:02AM
Do you have the F150 exhaust manifolds?  Would they come close to fitting.  It looks pretty close, but maybe they'd fit.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2017 at 1:35PM
Originally posted by 72sport 72sport wrote:

Do you have the F150 exhaust manifolds?  Would they come close to fitting.  It looks pretty close, but maybe they'd fit.

I do have them, but don't think they will work. They come straight out from the head, about 4 inches away from the port. The Mustang headers actually come off the head and angle upwards near the valve covers and then go back. I've got a set of them coming to see if I can modify them to fit nice.
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2017 at 2:47PM
Trans mount came today. Everything else still on the way. Ordered a pair of the tubular upper control arms (ouch...), along with new ball joints and bushings. That should give me a lot more room for the headers... 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 12:22PM
Hopefully have a productive weekend ahead. Was like xmas at work today, lol. Tubular upper control arms came today, as well as the bushings for them, the new motor mounts, and the Coyote GT headers. Ball joints haven't come yet, but I can use my current ones for now then just swap them out later. 

Also got the e-mail that my PCM has been finished for the PATS delete and is on the way back. :)
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 12:43PM
Who did you get to do the PATS delete?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 2:57PM
Originally posted by sj_mr2 sj_mr2 wrote:

I'll PM you...
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 3:15PM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Originally posted by sj_mr2 sj_mr2 wrote:

I'll PM you...
I don't think I can receive pm's...I can't even seem to reply to my own thread without moderator approval. Must be something to do with post count? If you can, just email me the info clayton_raynes@hotmail.com
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic