The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coyote 5.0 into 73 Ranchero GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2017 at 1:28PM
Got some good work done today. Not as much as I planned, since one of my lift cylinders started to leak, so couldn't do much with the car in the air after that.

Got the new Energy Suspension engine mounts on, with 1" spacers. I had to elongate the holes in frame so the studs could drop down into them (which is exactly how the frame is on the car these mounts are originally used on). Also had to drill a hole for the locating nubs on the mounts to drop into...

New mounts installed with 1" spacers. This actually raised the motor up even more than wound up needing, so I may cut the spacers down to 1/2" and drop it a little. Tons of oil pan clearance. 

Got the Little Shop custom upper control arms installed (well, pass side right now). Very nice pieces for sure. Installed the proper Energy Suspension bushings, and had to use my old balls joints for mock up since the new ones haven't come yet. Once the pass side control arm was installed, it was time to try the stock Mustang GT tubular header.....and it bolted right up :).  Only thing I need to do is shave down the tip of the idler arm bolt in the frame next to the header. The extra portion that sticks out past the nut just barely touches the header. 

And here's a shot showing the motor in place and the Little Shop control arm installed....

Going to work on the driver's side tomorrow. Doubt I'll get as lucky with the header on that side with the steering box there, but you never know lol. 

Edited by Power Surge - 07-January-2017 at 1:29PM
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2017 at 2:49PM
Hell of a project you got going there Sal.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2017 at 3:03PM
looking good! 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2017 at 3:05PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Hell of a project you got going there Sal.

Well, I'm figuring at this point in life, this may be the toy I have long term. So trying to build something that will be a fun, reliable driver....and also be different. I'm going to try to do everything really nice. Paint and detail the frame and suspension, do all the bodywork and make her look mostly stock on the outside with a few modern touches. 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino_Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 12:04AM
Man, I'm always impressed how you guys just swap engines and take the whole car apart and back together and all. Shocked

Keep it coming! Thumbs Up

1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
"...what's it all about, guess it just reflects my moooood..." ;) (The Rolling Stones)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 2:35AM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

I wish I had thought about (or even noticed) these holes when I was trying to figure out a 390 mount...
Truck and Galaxie FE use a similar mount...
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 7:48AM
As expected, I couldn't get done what I hope today with my lift out of action. Only managed to get the other control arm on the other side. Need the car up in the air to test fit the other header, but it looks pretty promising. I think I'll just need to alter the one primary tube that runs near the steering box, but won't know for sure till I can get my lift working again. 

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 9:14AM
More progress than I'm making right now. Single digit wind chills and both furnace and compressor went out at the shop. WTF?
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 9:25AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

More progress than I'm making right now. Single digit wind chills and both furnace and compressor went out at the shop. WTF?

I definitely don't miss living up north, lol.
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2017 at 2:27PM
Looking good! Keep paving the way buddy, just keep paving the way! This is what I'm wanting to do with my 75 Gran Torino and I'm so glad someone else will work out the kinks first Thumbs Up

Edited by M Casey Stock - 18-January-2017 at 2:49AM
1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2017 at 11:53AM
Alright.. some decent progress this weekend. Got the driver's side header done, and got the transmission mounting done. Also got a donor 72 GTS hood for the future frakenhood. 

Donor 72 hood....found locally and delivered to me. Thanks Adam!

The driver's side header....  As expected, the rear section interfered with the steering box. Originally I thought flattening the side a bit would solve that, but the flange was clocked in a way that hit the nut on the pitman arm, and even with the flange cut off the collector portion still hit the box. 

The stock 15+ Mustang headers are Tri-Y style. So I cut the rear Y section off, changed it's angle, and welded it back together. Now it sits closer to the engine and away from the steering box. I also changed the clocking of the exhaust pipe flange so that it was not in the way of anything.

After that, tackled the trans mount. With the placement of the Coyote and the short C4, the mount wound up right on the forward edge of the trans crossmember, even with it move to the forward frame holes. So I sectioned a piece out of the front edge of the crossmemeber, and then welded on a new platform for the new Energy Suspension mount to attach to. The new section I used is actually the metal frame portion of the old separated original mount. 

Installed in the car with the mount attached...

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2017 at 1:26PM
lookin good man.
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2017 at 10:23AM
Not a ton of physical progress this weekend, but got a bunch of parts ordered. 

I did weld and redrill the flexplate for the 10.5 converter. 

I got the engine/trans midplate, the transmission harness (needed because it has the O2 circuits in it), the new ball joints, and the PCM back from modding for PATS delete. 

I ordered up a set of O2s, radiator support bushings, KYB monotube front shocks, Moog 80090 springs (that will have 1 full coil cut off), and some big 14" brakes and 4 piston calipers. 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2017 at 10:55AM
Muhahahahaha...... Big smile

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2017 at 2:16PM
Thumbs Up what are those calipers from?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2017 at 2:22PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Thumbs Up what are those calipers from?

14" rotors and 4 piston brembos from a 15 Mustang with the performance pack option. Should be enough, lol. 
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2017 at 2:47PM
oh yeah! i know just changing from 11" to 12" rotors on mine made a huge difference! 4 piston calipers is even way better Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 4:28PM
Ok, so I have been going over some styling details and the direction I want to go visually with the Ranchero. So I found a nice Blue Glow 73 picture online with a good 3/4 side shot, and then spent a bunch of time photoshopping! 

Here's the original picture (again, not mine, found it online)....

So... my ideas for my car....  as previously mentioned, the 72 hood conversion. I want to stick with the original Blue Glow, or at least something very similar to it. I wasn't originally planning to run 18" wheels, but with the massive front brakes I don't have a choice. So I took a look at a ton of 18" wheels. I always loved the look of a nice clean SVT style 5 spoke. I came across wheels made by Enkei called Kojins. They really appealed to me and I think they fit the theme of modern touches on the old Ranchero to compliment the Coyote powerplant. And the car will be lowered as well. Another thing on the 73 that is kind of an eyesore is the front bumper. So I came up with the idea of sectioning out the middle part and making the bumper much thinner. I don't ever recall anyone doing that. So I photoshopped that as well to see how it looks. 

Below is the photoshopped rendition of what I want the Coyote Ranchero to look like. I will also be doing the silver side stripes, but have not decided if I want to do the original GT stripes, or silver Torino stripes. 

Thoughts?

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 4:38PM
Bunch of us have done that, mine is a 75, but same concept only with a 74 and up bumper you can't take it out of the center, you have to make two sections out toward the ends. Oh wait...you said thinner...couldn't tell it so much on my phone, picture is too small, but now that I've blown it up,I see. Yeah, that is different.

Edited by M Casey Stock - 11-February-2017 at 4:56PM

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 4:44PM
this one is likely to get a coyote before it's all over with. The original plans was a 4.6 out of a police package crown vic. But I halted on that when the truck coyote engine came out and is more affordable. Still having to save up my play money, just won't take as long now :)

Edited by M Casey Stock - 11-February-2017 at 4:54PM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic