The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dearborn seat covers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechMdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dearborn seat covers?
    Posted: 26-May-2009 at 1:48PM
Hey I am looking at the new seat covers in the dearborn catalog anyone ever used these? how hard are they to put on? thanks Techmdawg
Tech Mdawg                 1975 Ford Torino Elite
1973 Gran Torino "sold"
1973 429 torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 5:08PM
I purchased the complete set for a bench seat car.  I was afraid to attempt the install so I took them to an upholstery shop.  They charged $100 for the front and $75 for the rear to install.  I asked them about how they fit, and they said that there were no problems at all, very easy fit.  The only problem was the company that sewed the front seat forgot to sew one seam in the middle of the passenger side seat.  After they finished them, they said that I could've done it myself.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 2:49AM
Anybody in upholstery will know how to order the same factory material. My buddy who did my buckets seats cut extra rubber foam for the seat pads along with the sides to stop me from sliding around. The foam plumps up the material so it doesn't look like wrinkled elephant skin. While you have the upholstery off, it's a good idea to weld up any metal that is broken or showing fatigue. Both the back of my buckets seats were broken from 35 years of use.         
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 5:42AM

I recall one of the guys years back, his name was Tim and he had a GTS...got white covers from dearborn, and said they were complete crap...but as I've never had experience in buying seat covers, period. My cheap ass goes and finds seats out of another car! 

I picked up 3 sets of seat covers from a thrift shop...I plan on taking a stab at recovering some older seats I have laying around and using my mom's old sewing machine. Going to try working on a frankenstein of mark 7 seat foam, fox body bucket frames, and seat covers from some sort of GM car that match the mark 7 seat frames. I discovered the back seat bottom cover is perfect sized for the Torino seat, but the back cusion is going to require some sewing. Should be fun.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 6:50AM
i used deaborn covers.  they fit ok,  but if you have 'comfort weave' seats, what dearborn sells is not like the original.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2009 at 3:08PM
I am looking to order some black with "comfort weave" seat covers for my 72 with highback bench. Who would you recommend for the most authentic and best value?
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2009 at 3:16PM
comfort weave is no longer being made. the dearborn is not a very good copy, but it looks ok if your back seat is repro too. otherwise find and old auto trim shop maybe they can find you the right NOS material
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2009 at 6:28PM
I've never seen 2 Tone bucket seats on a 72 GTS but it looks cool. The centre material can match the outside paint colour.

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 14-July-2009 at 6:30PM
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2009 at 3:17AM
I wonder if say, a boat/marine upholstery shop could help me out with my seats. There's one up in Whitney. My vinyl is GREAT. I have the grandma's parlor bench cloth on the seating surfaces and want to change over to blue vinyl, same pattern, keep the buttons.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2009 at 6:02AM
Alan, anyone that is handy with a good industrial sewing machine that knows how to fabricate panels should be able to handle car seats. Boat interiors can be basci to complex, so I don't think a car seat should be any different.
My thoughts is worse case they have to rip the seams on the torino seat cover after removal, use it as a pattern and create new covers.
I have plans on the interior for mt GTS...but that is a seperate topic for another time.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2009 at 2:26PM
Hey Alan, I'd be interested in getting my front bench seat and rear seat done in a blue vinyl as well. If you get a bid, see if maybe they'll cut a better deal seeing that they are sewing up 4 seats vs 2. Just a thought. 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 7:28AM
Has anyone been able to nail down a source for close to original fabric to redo some seats?
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 9:17AM
I was pleased with my vinyl dearborn rear seats for the '72.  They do get some use from my kids sitting in them and have held up well and look very good.
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 10:27AM
Yeah, but....where do you get the foam?  And...how do you cut it???  I'm not afraid to try myself, but I need to know the where & how...
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
sauser676 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauser676 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 3:45PM
i did my seats myself, ordered the kit from dearborn and they turned out great!
Graham Sauser
1974 Ford Gran Torino-Starsky & Hutch Replica Resto 99% Done!
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2009 at 12:08AM
Did you do the foam, or were your seat foams good?  I got the buckets, but need the foam material.  I guess I could call a marine shop, but I want the proper stuff...
~Chris

Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2009 at 2:05AM
I had a shop install them so they did the foam.  Didn't cost much to have them do it.
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2009 at 3:13AM
 bought a complete black vinyl repro set from AutoKrafters out of Virginia which included the material for the front fold down and the two piece rear seat and had my local shop repair the frames, repaint them, install new foam, and put on the covers for $325.  The quality of the vinyl was OK and the rear seat did not have the embossed pattern on it that was in the center of the original, but considering what I started with, I'm happy with it.  Notice also, that the fronts have only 1 button whereas the original had two.  Paul~ 
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2009 at 10:32AM
Anyone seen these guys:

Claims comfortweave exact repro.  $500 bucks, though for the set...

~Chris

redmangh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redmangh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2009 at 3:10PM
When I was looking for "comfort- weave" for my 72 GTS I had quite a few companies send me samples of their product. Most were anthing but "comfort weave". Many have embosed vinyl that may look like but it, but its not. I kept searching and found;ABC Auto Upholstery, Filly ST. Las Vegas.702 656 1734. He knew what I wanted and shipped the exact material I wanted. A heavier guage "corinthion vinyl" was offered and used for strength. They were shipped ready to have installed. The shop that installed them was impressed with the material and stitch quality. I would not hesitate to use them again. It has been 4 years and I do drive the car. Note, I had to ship them my old skins for an exact match. Hope this helps you.
Redmangh
redmangh
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2009 at 6:57PM
So when you mention "comfort- weave", what exactly are you meaning? The material between the vinyl? Like in this picture? That's what I'm looking for, the material. I have a guy who will use the original vinyl at the top of the seats (it has that design in it) if I can find some fabric close to matching what's in the picture.

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2009 at 12:11AM
Originally posted by redmangh redmangh wrote:

When I was looking for "comfort- weave" for my 72 GTS I had quite a few companies send me samples of their product. Most were anthing but "comfort weave". Many have embosed vinyl that may look like but it, but its not. I kept searching and found;ABC Auto Upholstery, Filly ST. Las Vegas.702 656 1734. He knew what I wanted and shipped the exact material I wanted. A heavier guage "corinthion vinyl" was offered and used for strength. They were shipped ready to have installed. The shop that installed them was impressed with the material and stitch quality. I would not hesitate to use them again. It has been 4 years and I do drive the car. Note, I had to ship them my old skins for an exact match. Hope this helps you.
Redmangh
Yes, that does quite a bit!  Thanks!
By the way, SMS Auto Fabrics SEEMS to have the right stuff, but I haven't got a sample yet:

~Chris

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2009 at 12:13AM
Forgot to mention- Uante, I was looking at comfort weave vinyl.  Basically the vinyl is woven like fabric and it breathes very nicely so on those hot summer days you are comfortable.  Lots of mustangs were made with this stuff.
~Chris

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2009 at 2:26AM
Uante , thats not comfort weave material. thats a cloth material they use on the broughams.   comfort weave is all vinyl, but is woven like cloth.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

redmangh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redmangh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2009 at 3:02PM
Ramair 351 & crispy 23c,
   Yes the comfort weave is woven, breathable, vinyl, used in the inserts of the front and rear seats. It is not cloth, and many Mach 1's have it. The corinthian vinyl I referred to was the outer sections of the seating surfaces and sides, The seat backs have plastic covers secured by two screws on the bottom. If I can remember how to post a picture I wound show you how good it looks, Just like the original interior. The color of mine is Ginger. 
Redmangh
redmangh
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2009 at 3:36PM
I got with SMS Auto Fabrics as Chris mentioned a few posts back and sent them the picture I posted here. They are sending me samples of fabric and vinyl, so it would appear that they might have what I'm looking for. Keeping those fingers crossed. lol

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2009 at 10:55PM
Here's what I got:
I have (2) Sets of bucket seats:
-One set is white with cloth inserts, plastic backs for the seats;
-One set brown all vinyl (I believe it's the Corinthian pattern), no comfort weave center insert
According to Ford, my Torino came originally with the comfort weave option.  I believe that the cloth seats only came with the plastic backs, but I am not 100% yet.  I have had more than a few old mustangs with comfort weave, and it's much more comfortable on a hot day, but the insert is alot firmer than straight vinyl due to its thickness from being woven.  So it all boils down to personal choices.
I am also requesting some comfort weave material from SMS to have a look to see if it's what I need.  Everyone claims to have 'concourse' and exact reproduction covers, but those who have recieved them say they are close Confused
All I know is I want what's correct and don't want the shaft when either buying covers or having them made...
If anyone wants, I can post pics of both sets of seats to help with their research.

~Chris

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2009 at 4:14PM
I got my samples in the mail today from SMS. The vinyl and fabric are perfect matches! Kind of expensive. The Fabric is $85 a yard and the Vinyl is $49 a yard. Anyone know about how much material is needed to do the front split bench seat with fold down arm rest from a '73? 

Edited by Uante - 04-October-2009 at 5:35AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2009 at 10:57PM
Not a clue, but if you call a decent upholstery shop, they would probably have the spec amount.  Alot of the established shops keep patterns and material lists so you may want to try your local guys for the info.

~Chris

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2009 at 8:46AM
I received my samples this week as well. They are a lil pricey, but in the info they sent it says they could help you with those type questions as well. You can just give them a call and they'll let ya know how much yardage you'll need.
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
 Post Reply Post Reply