The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emmissions decal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emmissions decal.
    Posted: 15-January-2020 at 2:59AM
Hello Forum, 

I dont know if I should be nervous or not.....my car is a verified Q-code 72 GTS car.

I found this decal on the right front wheel well............wassup?

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 4:32AM
Standard location on our cars.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 4:34AM
Hope it was a replacement wheel well. Q codes were 4V. It may have been slapped on there because it was the closest one at hand for the line worker. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 5:54AM
Do you have the Marti Report? Maybe it was ordered with 2V?
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 8:06AM
Is there anywhere to find replacement decals? My car is a '76, but am replicating a '75 so I'm not sure if mine is supposed to have one?

My old one was located on the valve cover, but with the older style 351 W valve covers I got, IDK if there would be any room to stick one on there...? 
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 8:38AM
2v is the issue. I dont think any Q codes were ordered 2v.

My car is canadian Ford production....maybe something to with that?

I just ordered my deluxe Marti.

Strange though...fender looks completely original.

My valve covers are 8 bolt. I think 8bolt valve covers were used on Q code cars....please correct me if I am wrong. I will check tomorrow for the `4` on the upper left side of the head...just to verify again...

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 11:04AM
Do you have a "Q" in your VIN#?
If so. likely someone swapped an inner fender some time in the last 48 years.
Accidents, rust, who knows.
Maybe a line worker was still drunk that morning at the factory.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 1:13PM
Like Randy says, it it's a Q-code it will have the Q in the VIN.  Make sure your VIN matches the sticker in the door jamb.  It is possible that someone swapped out the VIN plate.

I think more than likely the wheelhouse was changed a long time ago and a used one was installed.  All Q-codes are 351-4V which means all have 4-bbl carbs.  A 351-2V is a H-code.  Being built in Canada doesn't change any of this.  

From the pics you posted, you definitely have a 351C and if it has 4 on the head corners it has the 4V heads.

Autokrafters, Macs, Dearborn, etc all make repro emission stickers.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 4:03PM
alloy valve cover cars got the sticker located to the fender well
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 11:56PM
I am happy to report all numbers check out as hoped (for a Q code car). The emmissions decal must have been slapped on wrongly, or a new wheel well was mounted at some point.

The heads have a `4` and small `bump` in upper left corner of both heads. The small `bump` indicates closed chamber heads I think. Engine is original to car, as is the 4sp trans.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2020 at 1:25AM
Excellent.  You will sleep better tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2020 at 3:17AM
yeah...I dont know why I got so nervous because of a friggin decal! The car had been verified a true Q code a while ago. Anyway...all is good!
 Post Reply Post Reply