The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Engine and Trans build, engine compartment detail
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine and Trans build, engine compartment detail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2017 at 7:26AM
compromise / compraschmize
perfect 20/20 hindsight Keep It Simple & Less Is More would've saved me countless wild goo$e chases & backwards steps
what's better than a motor that runs, a trans that shifts and a rear fits the bill? 

take your project 1 step at a time, spend $ wisely & count your blessings in simplicity Big smile
72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2017 at 11:16AM
The only way I see using an AOD with the big block is using an aftermarket bell housing. I've seen them on a quick search going for 4 to 5 bills.

I don't know yet if there is a factory bell housing that will swap.

JW Ultra Bell for BBF

http://i88.servimg.com/u/f88/14/28/56/33/img_0310.jpg

Edited by lynchster - 01-December-2017 at 11:18AM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2017 at 8:47AM

Thanks Chuck, for the info on the AOD.  I remember looking into it a while ago, and was surprised at how expensive those bell housings are.  Buy one of those plus a build AOD and the prices get pretty high pretty quickly.

Rockatansky, thanks for the advice. I will just keep it simple for now.  I will have the C6 freshened up but just keep it with the stock ratios.  I looked at the TCI kits for the low planetary gear set and it'll probably cost me as much as having a local guy build my trans.  I think long term I will look at playing with the rear end ratio and maybe installing a GV OD (or maybe an AOD conversion).  But for now this should be fine.

I talked to Tim today and gave him an idea of what I was looking for in the cam. I told him I was willing to live with a rougher idle and wanted something similar to his old Pantera grind as I know this cam worked out decently in a '78 LTD with a built 400 and highway gears.  He said once we get to that stage and select the cam, we can figure out if I need to upgrade the torque converter.

Thanks again for all the input.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 04-December-2017 at 8:49AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2017 at 6:01PM
I like the C6. Upgrade the clutches and install a shift kit. It will shift a bit harder but helps fight the wear associated with the factory style slipping into gears. It will probably bark second when you launch it hard.   
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2017 at 12:33AM
New here guys, but wouldn't a AOD from a 90's Ford truck work? the 400M uses the BB bell housing pattern.  I've got one in My '79 Tbird.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2017 at 3:18PM
I am pretty sure the big block Ford trucks from the 90s used the E4OD not the AOD. And the E4OD isn't really one I'd want to use.

In the end I have to reel things in a bit for now. I will just rebuild the C6 and do some minor upgrades like the R servo, a shift kit and maybe adding more clutch packs. This should be relatively cheap, much more so than retrofitting a modern built AOD. Like Chuck says above, I really like the simplicity of the C6.
Vince

fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2017 at 5:22PM
Sounds like you are going to like your rebuilt 400. I sure like that engine stand in the truck!

I was really concerned about not having an overdrive with my BBF, but decided not to go with a later model AOD or a gear vendors unit. After about 800 miles on my TCI C6 and 2.75 gears, I'm glad I stayed with the simple C6. Column shifter hooked right up with a C6 bracket, speedo cable was plug-in, new tranny cooler lines are off the shelf, factory trans mount bolts right up, stock drive shaft, and dip stick was easy. About 2500 RPM at about 65 MPH is pretty good cruising down the freeway. As for barking 2nd gear, YOU BET IT DOES!!!!!! YOURS WILL TOO!!!!    
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2017 at 2:35AM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

Sounds like you are going to like your rebuilt 400. I sure like that engine stand in the truck!

I was really concerned about not having an overdrive with my BBF, but decided not to go with a later model AOD or a gear vendors unit. After about 800 miles on my TCI C6 and 2.75 gears, I'm glad I stayed with the simple C6. Column shifter hooked right up with a C6 bracket, speedo cable was plug-in, new tranny cooler lines are off the shelf, factory trans mount bolts right up, stock drive shaft, and dip stick was easy. About 2500 RPM at about 65 MPH is pretty good cruising down the freeway. As for barking 2nd gear, YOU BET IT DOES!!!!!! YOURS WILL TOO!!!!    

Thanks, I am glad to hear someone is happy with 2.75 gears.  Honestly, even with my stockish 400, I didn't mind them.  It wasn't super strong out of the hole, but even in stock form that engine is so torquey it seems to handle the gears fine.  On the highway the car is super responsive, it hits triple digit speeds almost too easily.  I think with this new engine, it should be even better and I am looking forward to the 1-2 bark!  Smile
Vince

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2017 at 2:46AM
It's funny. ....Back in the day if you could "chirp" second gear you had a serious street machine. I had a ball chirping 2nd gear in my mustang.
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic