The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine mounts cleveland vs windsor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine mounts cleveland vs windsor
    Posted: 30-September-2010 at 3:51PM
Does the cleveland and windsor use the same moter mounts? I just bought a set, anchor part# 2370 and 2371 and only one fits. They look identicle except for the spacing on one is a little wider at the engine block. Did I get the proper engine mounts for the windsor? Any help would be appreciated

Edited by Grande Verde - 30-September-2010 at 3:55PM
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2010 at 3:55PM
Do you have the W or the Cleveland?
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2010 at 3:55PM
Windsor
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2010 at 4:01PM
Sorry...i just re-read you post and realized im blind. Im almost 100% certain those are the correct ones. the 2370 being front right and the 2371 the left
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2010 at 4:04PM
They should be the same.  oneof the new ones a defect?Confused
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2010 at 5:16PM
Originally posted by madmaxtorino madmaxtorino wrote:

They should be the same.  oneof the new ones a defect?Confused
I guess this was just a quality control issue. A little time in the vise and it bolts up just fine. But I really cant tell the difference between the two parts. I hope I got them on the right sides
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2010 at 8:07PM
They ARE left/right specific.  The engine block doesn't care which ones you use on which side but your cross member DOES as they are at a slight angle.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2010 at 2:58AM
Originally posted by torkair torkair wrote:

They ARE left/right specific.  The engine block doesn't care which ones you use on which side but your cross member DOES as they are at a slight angle.
Any thoughts on how to tell them apart? The manufacturer didnt find it necesary to put the part number on the part or mark them right or left
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2010 at 8:20AM
Aside from bolting them to your crossmember and measuring from side to side not really.

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2013 at 6:49AM
Sorry to bring up an old post, but did anyone figure out why the 2371 mount doesn't fit? I still don't understand why you can't use the 2370 mount on both sides. I see absolutely no difference using the 2370 on both sides.
Jim

torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2013 at 7:47AM
The cross member is angled slightly and so are the mounts.  This is to account for the slight rearward tilt to the engine.

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2013 at 8:33AM
I think I understand now, thanks
Jim

smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2013 at 11:19AM
I just mine on. Not looking like they made a diffrence. But holes are about half inch off if you measure the leg of the mount.
73MONTEGO
Restring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Restring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 3:03AM
Has anyone ever resolved this issue for the 351C? Just bought the 2370 / 2371 motor mounts from Rock Auto. The 2370 for the right side (sitting in the car looking forward) mounts to the motor and the 2371 will not. Like previous post, about 1/2 inch offset in the hole pattern. Any modification info available?
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 11:11PM
Yeah, get out your drill. Mine fit fine with minor modifications.
Jim

bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2018 at 11:53AM
I ended up using the 2370 on both sides, worked perfectly.
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2018 at 3:29AM
Do not bent the engine side to fit. It will not land on/straddle the frame if you do.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
TORAH54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TORAH54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2018 at 3:20AM
I replaced mounts on my sons 72 gts 351W a few years ago. I'm not sure where he got them but They did come with different part numbers. I looked them over before installing and Either I was really smart (not normal for me) or really lucky (absolutely not likely for me) they went in perfectly. If I recall the lower number went to drivers side.
The one issue we did have was interference with the oil filter. We had been using Fram that has a fairly small diameter flanges at the motor end. I decided to go to AC due to their better (in my opinion and experience on ford 5.4 motors) anti drain back valve. These have a slightly larger diameter flange. Ran fine until he called me at 2AM one rainy night that he lost all oil pressure. I found him in a 24 hour Walmart parking lot by following the oil slick. Figured out that the edge of the oil filter jut barely hit the mount and when the was any flexing, common with a heavy right foot, it backed off the filter just enough to leak. I ended up getting the jammed in oil filter off with a few choice words and a big screwdriver, bought a fram in Wally world that fit just fine and got it home. A little time with a grinder and the ACs now fit just fine.
My point is that any part can have slight variation, check your fit with these aftermarket parts.

BTW I bought that 72 when my son deployed to the Middle East and I just put in a good C5 tranny and started driving it on Thursday. Lots to sort out but it is a fun car!
George 72 GranTorinoSport
Restring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Restring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2018 at 3:52AM
Thank you for your response. Did you end up using the 2370 (passenger side) and the 2371 (driver side) mounts? When modifying, the 2371? Which hole on the flange did you modify? The one in the front of the engine or toward the back? Thx.
72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2019 at 8:42AM
I had the same issue a couple years ago it seems that someone at the manufacturer messed up with the measurements. I ended returning them and got a new set from NAPA auto parts which fit like a glove. I assume they have different manufacturers than Oreilly and Autozone.
 Post Reply Post Reply