The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

floor board rust question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor board rust question
    Posted: 11-February-2010 at 7:43AM

is it worth the time to drill out the spot welds on the seat rails  to take them off the floor pans in order to better coat the metal underneath with por 15?   have you guys gone to this extent,   it mostly seems to be just very minor surface rust.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2010 at 8:17AM
i've just use a dreme; for these parts, for me, it was just a surface rust, kind like you, it took me 30 minutes, for both side
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2010 at 12:30PM
An angle grinder with wire brushes will clean the rust up . Use a rust destoryer or converter. It is phosphoric acid based it will find it way in areas the wire brush cannot get to. Finish it with a rust proofing primer and paint . I use tremclad paint here in Montreal .I know por15 or rustoileum is will known in the USA. Also before you start try and find the water leak that may be causing this.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2010 at 1:20PM
The water leak was probably little kids with wet shoes over the years. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2010 at 1:37PM
My wagon floors were similar to yours if not a lil worse. I used the the POR-15 products. I first brushed off all the loose scale with a wire brush and vacuumed up all the debris. Then I washed everything up with the MARINE CLEAN. After thoroughly cleaning the floors I applied the METAL READY and kept it wet for approx 30 minutes. After a thorough rinsing with water I allowed the floors to dry completely. The following day I painted the entire floor with the POR-15 Rust paint. That was done almost 2 years ago and there are no signs of rust. Excellent product!!!

Here is a link with photos:

Edited by gpd294 - 11-February-2010 at 3:11PM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2010 at 3:05PM
I wouldn't drill out the spot welds. Clean under the seat rails as much as possible, pour in a little POR-15 and spread it around with a bottle brush, or even a piece of cloth attached to a stiff wire. That should put an end to your rust problems.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 12:57AM
Agreed...I'd just clean off any loose stuff as best as you can, they treat with a good coating of your choice of rust treatment.
I stripped my floor clean and used por15 on it around I think 7? years ago.
Last time I looked, floor is still holding up just fine.

*Edit*
I forgot, was thinking about it, and you can buy a cheapo spraygun, and spray the POR15 inside the rails.
I know I coated my floorpan, firewall front to back with the stuff.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 12-February-2010 at 12:59AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 5:32AM
I am going to buy one of those hand pump bug sprayers with the long steel wand tip on it.
That will fit right up inside the frame rails from different points and ensure it ALL gets covered with paint/POR15 or something else to keep it safe for years to come!

Do the same thing with the hard to reach areas too!
I used to go hog wild with 3M Rubberized undercoating... LOVE THAT STUFF!
Comes in a large spray paint can with a long tube on it, also acts as a sound deadener.
Sprayed the WHOLE interior of my mustang when I had it stripped. Not as good as sheet deadener but it did do some good. VERY good to get down inside the edges of doors and hard to reach seems at the rear wheel wells inside.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 6:11AM
Carl, I didn't think about one of those sprayers, only problem is you will have to reduce the POR15 with their thinner to spray it.
I have used laquer thinner with ok results, but been told to not use anything but the POR15 reducer as it's not laquer but something else.
Thus far, no problems with it falling off though.
I like the bug sprayer though...keeps from having a huge mist.
PITA enough as is, if you get some on your skin.
I'd hate to wax myself with a paint sprayer full of por15.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 6:14AM
ALSO make sure you put down a tarp!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 6:15AM
I agree, that POR-15 Stuff is very thick. I got very good results just using a cheap brush. And as you will read in the instructions, DO NOT get that stuff on you because it will stay there for a lil while. LOL

Edited by gpd294 - 14-February-2010 at 5:53AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 10:36AM
Guess I'm a bit of an extremist.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 11:21AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Guess I'm a bit of an extremist.  

so you took the time to drill them out and then put them back in?  was is a pain in the A**   to do.   we are thinking thats what we may end up doing.   still not sure.  we are def going to use por 15 on the inside and posibly on the outside.  may also coat the inside with spray on undercoating.

Edited by kversch - 12-February-2010 at 11:22AM
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 1:44PM

That's a pic just before I cut it out of the Ranchero. I was in the process of cleaning up the edges when we got dumped on by all this "global warming". I have to remove 4" out of middle so I'm gonna play around with it before the final install so you can't see the seam.

Chuck 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 4:35PM
When I had the floors on my 72 done, I had them drill out the floor rails as well and sure enough there were areas where the tin worm had clearly been at work that wasn't at all obvious from underneath (similar in location to Chuck's pictures.  So if it were me, I'd drill the welds and clean out any rust.  That way you'll never have to worry about it again.   Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 9:38AM
another idea is to get an undercoating gun,they have a long flexible tube that you can shove in holes and hard to reach areas.simply put an inline air regulater and you can regulate the pressure.The garden sprayer may or maynot work,it might not have enough pressure to spray the rust paints or the other thing is the spray wand is rigid and wont flex to get in certain areas.We use the undercoating gun and can spray undercoat or rustfighter(wax spray)inside unibody frame rails and rocker panels that are long and boxed in where the garden sprayer would never reach inside to completely cover the whole inside.simply shove the wand inside a cavity pull the trigger and pul the wand slowly out and it sprays and coats the inside of the panel then after your done flush the gun with thinner to clean it out and it's ready to use again later.another note is that I have sprayed Worth Rustguard out of a spraygun to seal a rusted roof on a Chevy pick up simular to POR 15,so you can also spray your floors and inside doors
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 10:06AM
ok heres my complaint about drilling the welds and removing the braces.sure you can clean any rust scale that may have started but you have to plug weld them back in with a mig welder so you certainly can' t coat the metal where the 2 metals join as you need clean bare mteal to weld to or using any chemicals will contaminate the welds.For people witg mig welding experience you know what happens,the weld pop & spatter alot and get tiny holes in the welds which can make for bad or sloppy welds which burn holes or grow bigger when trying to fill them in .This inturn also starts the corrosion proccess again so now you have burnt the metal on both sides requiring you to strip all the aress underneath the floor at all the welds and get the metal clean from residue from welding or rust starts forming almost immediately.So if you can' t coat these areas before you weld the braces back on what have you really accomplished besides extra work & starting more of a corrosion process between the metals at all the welds.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 10:37AM
POR 15,Rustguard & other simular products were designed to go over rusted metals to seal them from moisture & oxygen which are the 2 things combined that start the corrosion process on bare steel.Sealing the metal with these products is suppose to slow or stop the corrosion process,so if you coat the inside of these areas with the products using an undercoating wand it should infact seal both sides of the metal in between eliminating the need to drill out welds & removing the braces cause you can't coat the metal around the area of the welds you drilled out cause when the chemical burns it contaminates the weld.I tnink blowing out underneath the braces with compressed air to remove debris and dirt,then spraying the rust prevenative paints with a wand that can completely coat inside the braces is actually a better idea and less work & might even be more structurely sound by not disturbing the factory spotwelds.I can guarentee rust forms between the 2 metals at the welds,see it alot on previosly welded panels
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 11:08AM
There is no intent to disparage what one does with ones own vehicle. My Rt Rear floor in my opinion was past coatings. There were issues behind and underneath the rear seat brace necessitating structural repair. I also have the advantage of a suspended body and the underside of the floor will be sandblasted and painted.
I too have concerns about the sandwiched metal for the seat braces and will be using a weld-thru primer. Beyond that I may take some reduced epoxy primer and a modeling brush to flow primer into the seams. It's as best as I can figure to with it.
I may try that POR-15 on the Ranchero however as I have repeatedly heard good things about it and the underside has a lot of surface rust. 
Anyone have any long term results using the stuff on a daily driver?   
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 6:30PM
Well...I did my GTS frame 8? years ago with the stuff, you can wax the metal with a hammer, and I have yet to chip the crap off my frame. I should of top coated the frame, but didn't.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 1:29AM
If you have to do stuctural repairs to the sheetmetal that's different as your gonna have to weld,but if the floor just has surface rust amd otherwise seems sound& there are no thin or weak spots that have to be repaired I don't reccomend removing the braces just to coat the inside of the braces.I have never used POR 15,when I had my resto shop I was using Worth RustGuard which is simular,they however recommend priming and topcoating their product on exterior applications.after applying the RustGuard you let it tack up but not dry and apply an automotive primer then after dry the primer can be sanded and painted cause you can't sand the dry RustGuard and get adhesion for paint once it's cured,primer must be applied over it after it gets tacky in order to paint on it later.I am going to try the POR 15 when I do my car as it's easy to purchase online & Worth products you have to find a local dealer like the Tool trucks.I have heard good things just never used it,not sure what their procedures are for topcoat
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 1:57AM
I went the POR-15 route for inside and out, then I topcoated (while tacky) with a satin black. POR-15 wants you to buy their topcoat, but ANY similar based paint will do the trick at much less cost.  I scraped the scale and in cases where you would be able to see it (ie: frame rails, I sanded the scale off for a nicer overall finish.
After wire brushing and/or sanding, I used marine clean (excellent degreaser, wear gloves as it will eat your hands!), it was rinsed, dried and painted with POR-15 and the satin.
I am very happy with the results.  I will try to post pics later.
If you use POR-15 it is epoxy based so make sure you wear covering as it will not come off your skin without ALOT of scrubbing...I know about that. LOL  It is runny like water so it gets into cracks and crevices excellent.  I used rubber gloves.
Hope this helps.
~Chris
PS- one last thing- follow the directions for storing on their web-site.  If you don't you might end up with useless POR-15 as it could cure on you.

Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 2:41AM
The RustGuard is the same,you don't want to get it on your skin.Wear old cloths, coveralls or a disposable paint suit also.They Black RustGuard is liquidy but the silver has particles much like metallic flake in auto paint and when used on floorboards it will actually fill and seal small pinholes. We used it on a 72 Buick GS & my other friends 67 Dodge Coronet worked nice and dries hard like the POR 15.Don't think POR 15 has a product like the Silver RustGuard.Tje worth stuff come on a metal quart can like paint & we were told not to leave the can open as the air starts curing it inside the can even and the top skins over & has to be removed.we found it best to just puncture the lid with a icepick or sharp punch,pour what you need into a plastic mixing cup and imediately seal the hole in the lid with tape.It lets minimal air inside the can which makes it last longer cause when the air gets to it it dries it out and it will actually harden in the can over time especially after you have used most of it.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 8:42AM
Anyone used a bedliner type stuff on the underside, floor boards, trunk or frame?

Thoughts?
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 10:28AM
I used Dupli-Color spray in bed liner from a spray can for under the front wheel wells on my wagon and it worked well. I used one full can for each side, but it really didn't leave the surface like a bedliner, but more like a "sandy" surface. It looked good, but felt more like rough sand paper, rather than the rubbery bedliner surface. Hope this helps.

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 2:25PM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

ok heres my complaint about drilling the welds and removing the braces.sure you can clean any rust scale that may have started but you have to plug weld them back in with a mig welder so you certainly can' t coat the metal where the 2 metals join as you need clean bare mteal to weld to or using any chemicals will contaminate the welds.For people witg mig welding experience you know what happens,the weld pop & spatter alot and get tiny holes in the welds which can make for bad or sloppy welds which burn holes or grow bigger when trying to fill them in .This inturn also starts the corrosion proccess again so now you have burnt the metal on both sides requiring you to strip all the aress underneath the floor at all the welds and get the metal clean from residue from welding or rust starts forming almost immediately.So if you can' t coat these areas before you weld the braces back on what have you really accomplished besides extra work & starting more of a corrosion process between the metals at all the welds.

+1! My thoughts exactly. Only take the brace off if you need to replace metal. 
Jim

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 2:48PM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

+1! My thoughts exactly. Only take the brace off if you need to replace metal. 

Years ago when I worked in the body shop(iworked mechanic repair side of the shop) they used a red primer colored spray paint. That stuff was made for seams! You spray it on the inner fender well edge and the quarter panel edge then when you weld in the spot holes it melted in to seal and protect from rust!

ANYONE know what that was or where to get it?

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 4:01PM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

Years ago when I worked in the body shop(iworked mechanic repair side of the shop) they used a red primer colored spray paint. That stuff was made for seams! You spray it on the inner fender well edge and the quarter panel edge then when you weld in the spot holes it melted in to seal and protect from rust!

ANYONE know what that was or where to get it?

They now have a metallic silver weld thru primer available. Metallic particles initiating arcing. Though I usually primer everything and scrape it off through the hole I'm welding to get to the bare metal.
I don't about the laws anywhere else but I get it at a bodyshop supply store.

Chuck

Edited by lynchster - 14-February-2010 at 4:01PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 4:23PM
did you know that your suppose to remove the weld thru primer in the plug hole before welding? you can weld thru it but you get a better weld when you clean it out of the hole& they reccomend to scrape or remove the primer from the hole before welding.Why the heck they called it Weld Thru is beyond me cause when you leave it and don't scratch it off it welds like crap,basically why the say to remove it from the metal thru the hole before welding
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 4:39PM
went back and was looking at the Pure Vision 72 Gran Torino.

LOVE what they did with the floor!
Raised the floor so all the cross frame work and exhaust is tucked up underneath instead of hanging below the frame level... hhhhmmmmmm let's think and see what happens!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>