The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

john's 74 s&h clone build thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 74>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 1:13AM
Nice. I have the old "arm breaker" Coats tire changer with the rotating arm. Works great, but you have to be alert when operating it. Anything above a 17 inch rim will not work well, as these were designed before folks ran large diameter wheels on their cars. My bead seater even still works.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 4:19AM
Bead seater...you must have a coats 2020? My arm breaker is a coats 1010 no bead seater it's in the background of some of the pics, i painted it sky blue and black
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 12:00PM
nice,,,keep at it CJ....Thumbs Up
Nothing stops this train.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2016 at 11:55AM
well i finally got my lincoln mastercylinder cover back from chrome plating Party

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2016 at 11:59AM
so installed it! now i can move the car without spilling brake fluid everywhere Clap it cost $100 i asked WTF??? he told me there's a $100 minimum charge (didn't know that!Confused) but hey it's done and looks great!!! Thumbs Up

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dusterdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusterdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2016 at 12:03PM
Wink nice car buddy
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2016 at 5:00PM
Sweet!
M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2016 at 8:19AM
Alright...two days of clicking a reading...all 98 pages! I had so many questions and comments, but I decided to hold it all until the end....Sooooooo........here goes...........

(secret weapon) 

(here's mine LOL)

Is this the complete piece with the chrome? Or does the rubber just slide in?

I hope it didn't take long to figure out that the body and frame are facing different ways LOL...rear engine front wheel drive...now that would be different Shocked

Can't remember for sure why I saved this picture, other than to say that I'm sure it was much easier with all the glass out, I left all mine in.

My doors were out too much at the tops too. I used human hydraulics, I sat on the floor and put both feet at the bottom rear most edge and grabbed the top rear most edge with my hands and pulled with my arms and pushed with my legs with all I had! Both doors came out perfect. (take a look at them on my post)

I plan to put a custom console in mine too, but I want a "Go Baby Go" button next to the protected power toggle switch....Zooooooommmmm....(I don't have an engine that could stand it just yet Confused..like I said, YET!!!)

Okay...I looked and looked, but I never saw where you reinstalled the seal that goes here, did you get new ones or did you have to use your olds? Mine are okay, but I'd love to have new ones, or at least a better one for the drivers side.

And my very last question.....As I look and read over all this above, I can't help but wonder....and this may be like asking a woman how old she is.... or worse, how much she weighs Shocked..... but have you been brave enough to total up your parts tickets?

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

i know, i know!
 i said that when i got the vette...it's not going to be all chromed out, just something nice that i can drive...weeeell one thing led to another...and...
 so then i got the torino, and said i'll paint it nice and not all chromed out ,this time i'll have something that i can drive...well i got into it that far and one thing led to another, then i saw something that just wasn't acceptable...well we'll make that a little bit better...and then it became an obsession! so here we are  (again)  I been working on one more item for the torino (every night this week) it's almost finished...Wink

That was me too...I have done many projects over the years and made them way too perfect for me to enjoy. I always was afraid to use them for fear of putting a tiny scuff on them, so I would sell them. I double promised myself not to do that on my 75, and I did not! So proud of myself, I actually enjoy driving it, and guess what? It's dirty right now as I type. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for you and your car and could never take anything away from all your hard work. My car looks good and gets many complements, but it's nowhere near in the same category as yours. I doubt I'll even get one trophy. I'm sure I'll do another perfect one with all my custom ideas before it's all over with, so don't count me out...... Great Job my friend!!!!Thumbs Up Thumbs Up ClapBeer

Edited by M Casey Stock - 14-December-2016 at 8:36AM
1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 3:15AM
casey: #1 Thumbs Up  #2 it slides in a grove in the chrome (if you need some and find them grab em, they have been discontinued!!) #3 HAHA #6 i thought that switch cover looked cool...it's for my wig-wag flasher #7 those are the only pieces that aren't repoped Angry i reused mine with the plasti dipped method (available at home depot in a spray can)  total$$$ ? about 10K
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 5:37AM

casey:  #2 it slides in a grove in the chrome (if you need some and find them grab em, they have been discontinued!!)  total$$$ ? about 10K

#2- I thought they looked like you just slid them in (noticed the dish washing liquid on the floor) Just ordered a pair off Ebay (they had limited supplies) for $49 and some change. Not desperate for them as mine are okay, but stuff like that, I'd rather have on hand before I need them, than need them and no longer be able to get them. Thanks for the heads up.

It seemed like as I mentally kept up with the different parts and other goodies you were adding as you went along, that you would have a lot invested in parts and supplies. Of course there is no way to figure the worth of all the time spent taking apart, repairing, designing, building and reassembling a project. My car was non molested and completely intact, which made it a great car to do a budget build with, and keep it a "any day you want to" rain or shine driver. I have around 5K in it, that's every penny including purchase price, again no way to figure all the hours of love labor. If you subtract from that what I have cleared by selling parts off my parts car, it's even less (and I'm still selling) But again, it's a nice car, but not a show stopper.

Edited by M Casey Stock - 15-December-2016 at 7:19AM

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 10:48AM
Wow, you guys did well. I'm approaching the $5K mark on my '72 Formal and it still looks like a big bag of beat-up di@@heads. Most I have ever had in a Torino, except maybe the Squire.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 12:50PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Wow, you guys did well. I'm approaching the $5K mark on my '72 Formal and it still looks like a big bag of beat-up di@@heads. Most I have ever had in a Torino, except maybe the Squire.

A couple things that went really well for me that kept the expense down, #1) I had to do very little mechanically to get the car back road worthy, that helped a ton. The guy I bought it from kept excellent records and did the maintenance to a tee. He got sick and couldn't drive it and he couldn't keep it out of the weather, when he got better the carb had gummed up and he couldn't get it to run right, so for ten years it just sat outside and never moved, even though it was perfectly drive-able when it was first parked (kinda like your two) You can even see in the original pictures of it in his back yard, that he had a sun shade on the dash (had one on the package tray too until it fell apart). #2) I had a young man spray it for me that just does it as a hobby, so I only have $1850.00 dollars in the sealer, base, clear and his labor (his labor was stupid low) the paint is not perfect, but perfect for me and my usage... Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack your thread CJ, again Wonderful job on your build!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 2:59PM
that's ok, thread jacking happens all the time hereLOL oh i thought you sprayed it Shocked
joe: "a beat up bag of di@@heads"??? can't say i've ever heard that expression before LOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 3:39PM
That expression is reserved for really ugly things. Like my car.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 4:15PM
joe, you should paint that car purple with some heavy flake!!Big smileWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2016 at 4:30PM

LOL oh i thought you sprayed it Shocked

Well...if I had it would not have been my first, I had a friend offer to let me use his booth (don't have a booth myself, my business is mechanical repair, not paint and body) it was in the middle of my busiest time of year, I was like you in that I was tired of parts scattered about, and this young man was practically begging me to let him paint it. If I had been building a show car, it would never have gone down that way. All in all he did a pretty good job. What you see is just as it came out of his gun. I'll likely do some wet sanding and buffing before it's all said and done.

Edited by M Casey Stock - 15-December-2016 at 4:37PM

19Gran76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Gran76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2016 at 4:34PM

wow, today seems like christmas Big smile paycheck from work today,check from bob (fordpower) for the manifold i sold, phenolic spacer for my step-brother's new carb and manifold set up, new heavy duty tubular upper a-arms for my s-10 4x4 blazer (for getting parts for you guys at that yard!) Big smile

oh and i finally got my new repop door sticker from marti!!!

so i promptly applied it Big smileBig smile

19Gran76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Gran76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2016 at 4:36PM
Car looks great how's the ride with the nose of the car that low?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2017 at 12:22PM
brief update: planning on putting a holley 600 doublepumper carb on, but still waiting for a new base plate for it Angry summit said it's on back order from the manufacturer...

talked to my upholstery guy about doing the front seats to match the back one...apparently that exact material is discontinued, but we found a sample that is damn close, but he's busy till February...

but some good news today, got my visor autographed by PMG and antonio Thumbs Up

just figured i'd put the last little finishing touches on the torino before next show season Wink (just started snowing AGAIN Angry) can't wait for nice weather to return!!!!!!!

Edited by californiajohnny - 08-January-2017 at 6:27AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2017 at 2:36PM
Big smile look what just arrived...little shop mgf. A-arms!!Thumbs Up

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2017 at 8:52PM
passenger side all done...

starting on the drivers side A-arm, bushings in...

Edited by californiajohnny - 27-January-2017 at 8:59PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2017 at 8:55PM
ball joint in and all reassembled Big smile
(i took a rough measurement before and after, these arms moved the top of the spindle back about 3/8")

Edited by californiajohnny - 27-January-2017 at 9:01PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2017 at 2:49AM
That should give you plenty of caster.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2017 at 5:56AM
that's what i'm thinking! as long as it gets rid of that "twitchy" felling at highway speeds i'll be happy! Big smile now just got to make arrangements to get it realigned one of these Saturdays... Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2017 at 3:05PM
update on the carb dilemma... called summit, they have the actual holley base plate in stock Clap so they are going to ship it to me instead of more waiting on the quickfuel base plate that's still on back order! it was only $8 more so they covered the difference since i've been waiting 2 months Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 12:52PM
OK I just got up to page 63 Wheeewww!
Gonna copy the Exploder/Datsun/Mustang consoule
Registration pin for the door hinges...mine shut REAL nice and was worried about alignment..you took the worry out of it THANKS!
Question on the hurceliner how long did you let it cure before spraying body color..is there any bleed through..I also think it seems like a nice and much cheaper alternative to lizardskin
Thanks Again
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 5:34PM
that hurculiner takes a couple hours to dry to add additional coats, but it was cured by the next day and i just painted over it, it's urethane so it can be painted. i like it because it's urethane based with fine ground rubber particles in it so it gives a descent similar factory under coat look to it Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 8:17AM
 just got it realigned, now with some positive caster, drives great! no more twitchy feeling!!!Big smile Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 8:48AM
Big smile
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2017 at 6:30PM
got the holley base plate a few days ago, got it on the carb. put the 600 DP carb on...the different configuration of the DP float bowl interferes with my HEI Angry either rotate the HEI or trim the corner of the HEI cover...hmm, so i grabbed the diegrinder and shaved the corner by the tach terminal ( i'm not using that tach term. since i have the factory GTS tach Wink
 so tonight i got a 5/16" fuel line from the parts store and bent and reflared the tubing for the fuel line. no leaks! Big smile set the float levels and idle mixture screws. now i just need to crawl under there and attach the pressure gauge to the tranny to check and readjust the T/V kick down cable for the proper pressure adjustment Smile tomorrow night...

Edited by californiajohnny - 16-February-2017 at 6:32PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 74>