The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prime the engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prime the engine
    Posted: 16-November-2013 at 3:54AM
Does it matter what direction you turn the oil pump to prime? For how should you turn it? Thanks for any info.
73MONTEGO
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2013 at 4:28AM
yes  turn it clock wise . You should take a valve cover off and make sure the oil is pumping up to the lifter and rocker arms .. 

1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
1996 Bronco XLT
2010 SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2013 at 7:59AM
Got it thanks. Now I have a problem I have no power. I just have the wire-harness hooked up for the power not the one for front or rear lights or seat belts and such. I had the cluster out to clean it and hooked everything back up. Turn the key and nothing.
73MONTEGO
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2013 at 11:05AM
I forgot also I put on a MSD box. But I think I should at least have power when I turn the key right? Radio wiper or something. 
73MONTEGO
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2013 at 8:08AM
Jumped the starter solenoid and bumped the starter tried a 3rd time nothing.
73MONTEGO
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2013 at 11:45AM
am I understanding that you jumped the battery terminal of the solenoid to the S terminal & it didn't engage the solenoid or crank the engine... nothing?

start with the basics, are you sure the Neg cable is connected to a good clean spot on the block, no paint insulating you out?
72 GT Ute

smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2013 at 9:21PM
Yes that is what I did but it did engage a couple times then nothing. Now I have power when I turn the key. I'll redo neg cable.
73MONTEGO
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2013 at 10:57AM
Still have power when I turn the key but when it goes to the where it should engage the starter power goes off and nothing. Key comes back a little power (lights) comes back. Tried jumping starter again nothing. 2 problems? Starter and ignition switch?
73MONTEGO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2013 at 11:47AM
could be the ignition switch needs to be aligned with the centering pin, have you worked on the column or switch or anything since the last time it worked OK?

this also sounds like possibly a sulfated battery

what's the history on it, how old, has it ever froze, can you see floaties in the water?
72 GT Ute

smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2013 at 11:45PM
No work on column. Wheel us off so a little slop. Putting in back ontonight. The battery is from my boat. Fully charged. I had jumpers on it over the weekend and nothing. Could the starter be frozen now even tho she turned a couple times? Stronger battery since engine was rebuild?
73MONTEGO
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2013 at 8:26AM
Are you sure the battery is good? A bad cell in the battery will still provide enough current for lights, etc. but not enough voltage for start-up.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2013 at 9:58AM
Took the cheap way out for now just change the starter solenoid turned the key no power again.Angry
Battery still at 97%. For the heck of it pulled the starter and jumped off battery and she just sparked. Now rebuild or buy new?
73MONTEGO
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2013 at 10:36AM
Rockauto.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2013 at 4:10PM
take the battery AND the starter to a place that can & have them BOTH tested

your test of bypassing the solenoid didn't prove or disprove either 
72 GT Ute

RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2013 at 7:53AM
autozone or advance auto give you a life time on starter i think still . They are cheap too. I never buy factory starters anymore . They have sh*t warrenty . 

1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
1996 Bronco XLT
2010 SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2013 at 10:31AM
Dropped starter off to have it checked out. Ran a wire from steering knuckle to battery power is good now. Didnt know it had to be ground. I thing fixed.
73MONTEGO
 Post Reply Post Reply