The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Video Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If the cars were still this cool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If the cars were still this cool
    Posted: 08-December-2013 at 3:47AM
If the cars were still this cool. I would watch Nascar every week.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 4:19AM
Amen
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 5:26AM
i totally agree!!!  Thumbs Up  back when they actually used  "stock" metal bodies!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 6:47AM
Anti NASCRAP Rant to follow.  You've been warned Wink

At one time NASCAR actually had good racing and technology (for the era) and some interesting story lines.
Now its all manufactured drama, low tech cars (they JUST went to fuel injection and unleaded fuel, welcome to 1986 and 1974 respectively).  When Danica (AKA Princess Sparkle Pony) qualifies 23, races to the back and is the focus of most of the attention, something is wrong.   

I'll watch just about any racing. Cars, bikes, boats, circle track, dirt, sprints, drag racing - if its racing, I'll watch it.   But I feel my IQ drop every time I have to listen to Waltrip babble like an idiot. 

That said, I think the jet drier getting 'dun blowed up" when Montoya brain farted and ran into it was interesting.  If you added circus music to the video, it all kind of makes sense.

If you really want to catch good racing, if the ALMS (TUDOR now) or Indycar comes to town, or you have a good flat track with some spriget cars running, check out the support races for all of these.  Some of the best racing I've ever seen has been guys fighting to get to the top or the lower level series.  World Challenge, F2000, SCCA, all put on great, close action.  Best race I ever watched was after the indycar race in 2011 at Mid Ohio.  Everyone is leaving and the place is about empty but the World Challenge race was still scheduled.  I hung round and watched Peter Cunningham fight up the field for a win while avoiding slower/faster class cars.  

And no announcers telling me how Danaca is doing great in 27th....  

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2013 at 10:26AM
I always enjoyed them telling me where the man finished. Now Dick Trickle doesn't race anymore. My favorite circle track racing is done on the small tracks. My favorite racing period is the drag racing that I myself do. 1/8 mile at a time.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2013 at 12:25AM

The best racing I ever saw was at Kingsport Speedway in the early 70's. Every week you could see Morgan Shepherd, Harry Gant, Jimmie Hensley, Jack Ingram, Brad Teague,Tommy Houston, Butch Lindley, LD Ottinger, Bob Pressley, Connie Saylor, Gene Glover and at times Geoff Bodine, Bobby Allison,and Bobby Issac. They also had 3 "Cup" races there in the olden days. 

Chevelles, Novas, LeMans, Venturas, Omegas, Apollos, Chrysler kit cars, Falcons and Torinos.

I'd take one race there over 10 Talladegas.

PS122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2013 at 4:45AM
This is the only racing that I truly enjoy watching (aside from the occasional drag race at the local track):

(This is a photo from a vintage race at Waterford Hills, a small track outside Detroit).

Edited by PS122 - 09-December-2013 at 4:46AM
Joe
'76 S&H Gran Torino
http://starskytorino.com/joes/joes.html
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2013 at 5:04AM
Gimme some of this

Or this.

Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2013 at 9:26AM
I'm not too far from the Waterford track.  I keep threatening the wife I'm gonna buy a Formula Vee and drag her there every weekend, lol. 

F1 is gonna be interesting next year with the new engines. 

I'm an old CART fan myself....
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Spoiler II View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoiler II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2013 at 11:56AM
Back when racing ment something....

Gotta whole slew of indy stuff from the 69-92 -even some of the worst crashes..
I tell ya fella's that was some history...

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2013 at 11:59AM
The Europeans have their own historical racing period as well

Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2013 at 5:25PM
My hero growing up was Rick Mears.
I knew everything about ALL kinds of racing.
Knew what day, time and channel every race was on.
Nascar, Busch, Indy, NHRA, SCCA, Baja, Salt Flats, Modifieds, MotoCross, Monster Trucks, Truck and Tractor Pulling, Semis Drag racing and Circle tracking etc...
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2013 at 5:31PM
Remember 1982 Indy 500? Rick Mears and Kevin Cogan(Penske TeamMates) on the front row. Drop of the green flag and Cogan blows a halfshaft and darts towards the wall taking out the #3 car and clearing the way for Mears to get out front... controversy or equipment failure? Still undecided in the race world.
I forget who he took out but it was Mears only REAL competition that year.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
75ranchero460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75ranchero460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2013 at 12:02AM
Me too. Stopped watching a few years ago doesn't seen like racing. I go up to the two small tracks up in Salem In. Or drag strips.
Gary

Ranchero=Fun

1975 Ranchero GT 460

1971 Torino GT

1962 (custom) Econoline

1967 Cougar

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (sold)
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2013 at 1:50AM
I believe 'That Damn Coooogan" took out AJ, lol.  

Those were some great years.  If Indycar can let go of the spec car, they have some really good racing going on the last couple of years.  

I keep telling my 13yr old daughter I'm going to take her to a Monster Truck race soon.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
PS122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2013 at 3:42AM
Originally posted by robot9000 robot9000 wrote:

I'm not too far from the Waterford track.  I keep threatening the wife I'm gonna buy a Formula Vee and drag her there every weekend, lol. 

There probably isn't a better track in the country for FVs and the vintage vee group with the VSCDA typically has about two dozen entries at the vintage race in July.  I've attended the last two vintage races at Waterford Hills and have vowed to never miss it (despite the four hour drive from SW Ohio).

If you can make it out to the vintage race next year, PM me - and I'll buy you a beer.
Joe
'76 S&H Gran Torino
http://starskytorino.com/joes/joes.html
 Post Reply Post Reply