The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

POSI REAR-END

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brickard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POSI REAR-END
    Posted: 27-January-2014 at 2:13PM
I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, but I haven't found it....

Has anyone added a posi rear-end to their 74-76 Gran Torino? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian
1976 Gran Torino "Charlotte" (S&H Replica)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2014 at 4:18PM
is it possible? yes. details, i'm not sure. are you just wanting to add a posi unit to your existing 3rd member?  nice thing about 9" rearends is you pull the axles and the whole 3rd member comes out the front as a unit. it would be a good idea to know your gear ratio before checking into parts (as there may or may not be a difference in the unit)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2014 at 4:48AM
Positraction is really GM's trademark name for their Limited Slip Differential. Just putting that out there although we all know what you are talking about so no big deal. Ford's version of the limited slip dif was called the Traction-Lok.

As far as swapping in an original ford limited slip unit for an open one, it's pretty straight forward. You can find plenty of "how to" videos on youtube for the ford building the Ford 9". Really all you actually need is it the differential and maybe the carrier gasket because that will probably get torn up upon dis-assembly. If you like your gearing then most likely all that can be reused. As far as the differential goes it's probably best to just go the the aftermarket for that. Ford's OEM limited slip unit has some minor shortcomings so most folks just get a similar aftermarket clutch type dif or even a helical gear dif. I'd do some research online. Options are plentiful, it will always come down the what your existing setup looks like, your knowledge, and the budget.

Let us know what you end up doing. Always great to even out that rear tire tread Wink.
-Billy Conturo
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2014 at 6:04AM
Planning on the same thing.  There are several trac lock diffs on the market and all go in the $450 range (Summit has one for 1/2 the price. Not taking the chance....

Local guy says he can upgrade mine for the same price, so I may go that route this spring.   Cool rumble from the headers kinda loses its WoW factor when you leave one black line..
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
brickard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brickard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2014 at 1:12PM
Originally posted by robot9000 robot9000 wrote:

Cool rumble from the headers kinda loses its WoW factor when you leave one black line..

Precisely my point! Thanks everyone.

Brian
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2014 at 4:16PM
Originally posted by brickard brickard wrote:

Cool rumble from the headers kinda loses its WoW factor when you leave one black line..

Precisely my point! Thanks everyone.

Brian

YUP!
And add that there are huge/wide 295's that only ONE spins... YUCK!
I am looking to do the same
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2014 at 10:22AM
I would pick up an extra differential center-section and build it and then swap it in. Little to no down-time. If you aren't changing the gear ratio in the center-section, it's a simple install.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
brickard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brickard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 4:31AM
Thanks again, everyone.

One more question....does anyone know offhand what size rear-end the 76 Gran Torino has? Is it the 9"?
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 4:54AM
You almost certainly have a 9 inch. 8.8 didn't start until the 80's I think.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 8:15AM
Ya, 9" with 28 spline and big bearings in the housing would be the norm for you
-Billy Conturo
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 2:34PM
Billy is right about the bearings. In fact, many catalogs, when describing rear disk kits for a 9 inch, often refer to the two sizes as regular and large (torino) bearings.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 3:28PM
ya, I got the small bearing in my 72. After 72, Ford went to a larger bearing housing. In the larger bearing housing there is a straight bearing similar to the small bearing just bigger and there is a taper bearing of the same dimensions. The taper is where it's at. I think the axles are slightly different on the bearing end but I can't remember. I have it all out in the garage and I got a few pages of notes so I can check.

I actually had to pull apart at least 5 rear axles to start to see what was going on. I couldn't get definitive information on any of the 9" stuff. A Ford 9", who would have thought finding solid info on years, bearing sizes, flange sizes, and all the other details would be so hard. Everyone and their moms has a Ford 9 in at least one of their hot rods.

stock 9s I've ripped down..

65 T-bird
72 Torino
73 Ranchero
79 Mark
and 1 Unknown

I'm to the point where I am about to start scrapping center sections.

Like I said the 79 was the gold:
taper bearings
ford limited slip
disk brake bearing retainers
super clean axle housing

Took Ford 7 years to figure it out in the intermediates I guess
-Billy Conturo
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2014 at 5:20PM
it's not easy getting the axle seal for that small 72 housing, from his listings Napa counter jockey brought out a large seal, luckily I had the original with me, marked D1ZX yada yada yada

D1ZX is 1971 Mustang bada bing

I just recently grabbed a lightly used retro-fit Detroit style locker for mine

Edited by Rockatansky - 30-January-2014 at 5:22PM
72 GT Ute

bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2014 at 4:52AM
So the 79 Mark V axle will fit into a Torino with no modification? Meaning the u-joint connection and the length is all correct? Also the disc brakes, has anyone tried to use those?
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2014 at 7:41AM
The U-joint is different. It's a 4 bolt flange setup but the pinion can easily be swapped with almost any 9" pinion.

The chassis is the same on the 72-79 Lincoln marks but with different wheel base. The mid frame is just a different length. So yes, the axle will just bolt right in.

An issue for most is the 5 on 5" bolt pattern. I'm sure with some clever parts matching the discs could work with 5 on 4.5" axles. I just found some 5 on 5 wheels that are way better than what I have now so that's not a huge deal for me. Plus I can use one of the Lincolns aluminum wheels as a spare, that way I don't have to lug around a heavy steel spare. 

Another issue with disc brakes is finding a caliper that supports popular pads in different compounds. Luckily Porterfield makes a couple of compounds for both the stock front calipers and Lincoln rear brakes.

Anyways.. getting off topic here... going back the limited slip. The limited slip would in theory just swap right into my 72 if I really wanted to do it.

And whats with the spam bot account?

-Billy Conturo
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2014 at 10:48AM
One issue I have always had with the parts mixing is if you sell the car, that info tends to get lost.  You put on a set of SSB or Wilwood and there is no question on whats on there.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2014 at 1:03PM

One issue I have always had with the parts mixing is if you sell the car, that info tends to get lost.

Stacey David you tube

Edited by Rockatansky - 01-February-2014 at 3:49PM
72 GT Ute

bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2014 at 1:52PM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

A test account I have that was actually one of those pesky Chinese spam bots. My iPad is logged into this one, hence it posts from this when I am on my iPad.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2014 at 9:12AM
Originally posted by bata747-8 bata747-8 wrote:

Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

A test account I have that was actually one of those pesky Chinese spam bots. My iPad is logged into this one, hence it posts from this when I am on my iPad.

And then when I am on my Macbook, I am using my main account.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72torino... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2018 at 12:30PM
Minorly high jacking this. Will a Ford 9 inch from a 73 Torino be identical to a 72 Torino. In terms of suspension mounting?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2018 at 12:50PM
the complete housing & carrier should swap no problem, except for the rusted bolts
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2018 at 3:40PM
yes
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply