The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974 302 i have no power help!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote married*IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 302 i have no power help!!!!!!!!
    Posted: 02-February-2014 at 5:53AM
i replaced my intake gasket and rebuilt my carberutor gave it a tune up now when i try to crank the engine i have to put the petal all the way on the floor for it to even try to start and after a minute of that it will run ( with the throttle wide open but there is no power mayber 1000 rpms and when i let off the trottle is dies. my firing order is right on distributor  and when timing is really close. what is my problem

1974 gran torino 302 cid
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2014 at 7:24AM
is the exhaust really rich (black smoke/ burning your eyes)? what carb do you have? check to see that all your vacuum lines are on (not causing a big leak)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2014 at 10:43AM
Chain might have slipped a tooth (old worn). Try advancing the timing and see if the idle and power come up. Use a timing light and watch the timing mark as the light flashes. is it moving all over? or is it sitting nice and steady? If it is moving the chain could be real loose. Also check for vacuum leaks. With the engine running carefully spray some carb cleaner around the intake runners on the manifold were the gasket meet the block. If the engine starts to run different you have a leak. Also check the same were the carb meets the manifold. When you put the new gasket on the manifold you used the proper tourqe sequence right??? The bolts should be at 20-24 FT LBs if not your leak could be your new manifold gasket.
 Post Reply Post Reply