The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'72 torino motor swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel53f100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '72 torino motor swap
    Posted: 08-February-2014 at 12:19PM
I have a '72 Torino with a 351C/FMX drivetrain. Does anyone know if there would be any issues or major problems putting a 390/C6 combo in this car?
daniel53f100
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2014 at 8:05AM
Motor mounts will be an issue, other than that it's just details.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2014 at 9:11AM
yeah, figure out what to do for mounts, the rest shouldn't be too bad. just curious, why a 390? do you have one lying around just looking for a new home???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
75ranchero460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75ranchero460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2014 at 9:19AM
I would keep the 351
Gary

Ranchero=Fun

1975 Ranchero GT 460

1971 Torino GT

1962 (custom) Econoline

1967 Cougar

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (sold)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2014 at 9:42AM
over the years there've been a couple FE's in the intermediate chassis, one is a member here and maybe a few I've seen on ebay / for sale

but no one has ever nailed down what the mounts are

what's the reason for wanting to do this swap?

Edited by Rockatansky - 09-February-2014 at 9:43AM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2014 at 10:34AM
a few years back i spend two years working on a hacked project a buddy of mine bought- 56 f100 channeled on a 76 elite frame, it had a 390 in it. it had "a-frame type tower mounts" welded to the elite frame (sat way too high) i cut down those towers until there was just enough room to get at the nut under the motor mount, the mount had one stud facing straight down, it then sat properly in the frame. i have no idea what those towers were out of. i don't have any pics, and he sold the truck a couple of years ago. Cry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2014 at 12:13PM
On motor mounts, there are 2 ways to go about it.
About 1968, some cars with 390s got an option for 429s the 390 2 piece mounts and the 429 2 piece mounts used the same insulator half. The metal block bracket for the 429 was used thru 1972 in torino and thunderbird. there is a corresponding 390/FE block side mount that has the 2 holes at the ends, and will mate with a 429/460 motor mount. These are apparently rare nowadays.
Your other option is to make them yourself. I would start with a truck mount and make a bracket that sits on the frame, or adapt the frame side of a small-block mount. You would end up with something that looks very much like the crites mounts for a 429/460 swap into these cars.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
daniel53f100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel53f100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2014 at 1:25PM
My brother has a really hot 390 in a 1970 ford pickup that was totalled in a tornado 2 years ago. That's why I am inquiring about the swap, just to see what I might be getting myself into.
daniel53f100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2014 at 1:31PM
Ah-Ha!

so it ~is~ theoretically a bolt in deal, let's hook this up!

72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 2:16AM
id stay 351 and punch it out to somewhere around 390 if you really need the cubes.
-Billy Conturo
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 5:19AM
70/71 429 Torino brackets are different than 72/up.  The angle is different.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 5:32AM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

id stay 351 and punch it out to somewhere around 390 if you really need the cubes.

me too but on the other hand, if there's problems with the conventional combo like they're bone stock / weak / need work... and the mounts are handy...

I'd do it in a minute

details include;

having the correct linkage arm on the trans for the shifter in the car (or the correct shifter in the car for the arm on the trans)

exhaust manifolds/headers that'll work in the chassis

driveshaft slip yoke is the same but shaft length will be off slightly I forget which way? may only need a cut/balance or a new tube shaft build... or you may find a shaft that fits as-is FTW

compare the radiator to the connections on the engine, I have a feeling you'll need a double pass radiator with both connections on the passenger side? unless you can find a water pump with a driver side connection

not sure if the fan shroud will fit with an FE? (water pump shaft position) you may need to go electric fan along with the new radiator? the radiator mounts can be moved up or down a little though if it's close, might mean modifying the core support
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 6:29AM
now I'm wondering if the 390 oil pan profile will clear the crossmember?

the 390 pan sump is longer than what I'm used to seeing in there but being a different engine family I have no idea what the geography would look like with the motor in position in the chassis

390 'stud type' mounts are $5 at summit, all that would be needed is to fab a saddle bracket over the crossmember?
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 8:52AM
Anything could be done with enough time and money but is it worth it?

I never even thought of the oil pan issue.. there's that..

exhaust is an issue

mounts

radiator hose positions

fan shroud

linkage for the trans

drive shaft

linkage for the throttle possibly

hood clearance possibly

and who knows what else

I'm always about breaking the mold so I am not going to totally discourage from trying it if they got the money and time. Go for it I say, just take pictures and document it along the way.
-Billy Conturo
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 10:47AM
On the torino, the front suspension is basically 1965 galaxie. The engine mount setup is different to sink the engine deeper in the car to allow a lower hoodline (NASCAR aspirations, also why the frame is channeled in the body and the frame is fully boxed)
Oil pan for a 65-68 fullsize ford will work fine
Same with exhaust.
Use a C6 trans (FE pattern) and driveshaft and shift linkages for torino.
Mounts will have to be sorted, and will affect shroud, hood clearance.
Throttle link can come off the torino.
Kickdown for a fullsize 66-68 FE and C6 should work.
Radiator and hoses may take some work. These engines had a tank in the upper radiator hose in fullsize cars and torinos dus to the fact that it's a TALL engine and the top of the engine water jacket was above the top of the radiator.
I THINK the engine side FE mount that would fit a (nearly unobtainable)429/460 insulator is from 1968 thunderbird.

Edited by Big Bird - 10-February-2014 at 10:47AM
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 10:57AM

This should be a picture of the crites 460 swapmounts scott was selling. They LOOK like a set of fullsize 460 mounts with the ears cut off and a bracket added. Something like this for a FE shouldn't be too difficult to create.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 11:25AM
Originally posted by daniel53f100 daniel53f100 wrote:

My brother has a really hot 390 in a 1970 ford pickup that was totalled in a tornado 2 years ago. That's why I am inquiring about the swap, just to see what I might be getting myself into.

Who would put a Ford FE in an Oldsmobile?
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 12:25PM
LOL  Tornado, not Toranado!!
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 1:09PM
Originally posted by stanman stanman wrote:

LOL  Tornado, not Toranado!!

It all makes sense now!Embarrassed
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 1:38PM
I had a rough experience with the '67 LTD we have. Car came with a 390/4bbl from the factory. Previous owner installed a 400. I searched/bought/returned/searched/bought/returned/searched/bought/returned for hoses/radiator that would fit the car/engine combo. Almost gave up before making my own out of hose and plumbing parts to get it to work. Eventually, I will have to get custom hoses made.

I would not wish that experience on anyone. It sounds trivial, but not being able to proceed on the car for lack of water is maddening.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 2:57PM

you guys are Killin Me

that's pretty much what I was trying to explain, find a std available mount that bolts to the block, then fab a stand that saddles the crossmember. here's some pics I grabbed while nobody was lookin

Daniel might even have something to work with on the block already?

block pass side

block driver side

Cougar? block plates

2 bolt $5 mount

3 bolt mount

72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 3:09PM
Originally posted by foote500 foote500 wrote:

Originally posted by daniel53f100 daniel53f100 wrote:

Who would put a Ford FE in an Oldsmobile?
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL, i'm not a super big FE fan, but an FE is a 100 times better than an oldsmobile v-8 (boat anchor)LOLLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 5:26PM
oh come on.. the olds big block v-8 was pretty cool.. what was it called?? the Rocket I think. The FEs really need to be built to be built. At least the Olds had a few more cubes on it.  Nothing beats the Cadillac 500ci though. No replacement for displacement.. oh wait..... 
-Billy Conturo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 5:53PM
true billy! i prefer a sb chev, but if i had to pick a non-chev gm v-8 it would be a buick 350. don't get me started on mopar, then you have AMC (i think that stands for All Motors Combined LOL)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 6:43PM
I would keep the FMX, While it has a sh*tty 2:40 to 1 first gear unlike a C4 junk or C6 it is the cast iron bulletproof  do reverse drops all day and never blow it up. You cannot blow up a FMX.......
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 6:55PM
The bulletproof AOD overdrive wide rear band is a lockup FMX. no kidding. Not the Eaod those are junk.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2014 at 9:02PM

as far as GM goes... Olds is a solid platform until you get into the late model 307 BS. lots of durability problems with the Buick design, head gaskets, oil pumps & cam bearings but I like the way they run before they get whipped out. a long time ago while I was between Fords I picked up a 80 Camaro in need, the PO & his 'mechanic' had screwed up at least 3 sbc's & were in the process of rigging a Buick 350/350 combo from a 72 Skylark into it. they had a foot of allthread through the chevy V6 frame pads and the Buick insulators. the fan was into the hood latch & the tail was barely on the crossmember out of position. they were gonna get a longer driveshaft...

luckily the Skylark was still there! I yanked the frame pads & placed them in the insulators, then set the trans & crossmember back where it belonged with the stock driveshaft in place & tightened the trans mount, the Buick fram pads were about 1/2 off the crossmember. nothing a couple of 1/2 thick mild steel plates won't fix

I drilled & tapped the plates for the Buick frame pads & leveled the engine in the bay, marked the holes up through the crossmember & drilled / tapped those. done deal the stock radiator went back in & the rest of the extra parts came out of the back seat. I can't remember where the Pontiac rallye's came from but they worked, blem T/A radials, Z hood scoop cut open for the 8" chrome cleaner on the custom built 2GC... I mixed & matched boosters & everything else until I had the smoothest running morphadite! my trans builder buddy built up what he used to call a 'snot locker' that trans would hit 2nd & put the car sideways if you were barely into it. LOTS of line pressure & no accumulator springs or waves, I wonder if he pinned the gov too?

alright enough of that crap

Edited by Rockatansky - 10-February-2014 at 9:04PM
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2014 at 12:25PM
OLds 307 wasn't bad for a small engine, no worse thah a 305 or 307 chevy. The Olds that were awful were the 260 gas engine and the godawful diesel 350. Buick 350 was a GREAT low end grunt motor!!!
Caddy 500 not much bigger or heavier than a smallblock chevy and will fit in the same space with LOTS of torque.
AOD uses the same planetary gearset as a FMX for 1-3, but it's NOT bulletproof. The iron case WILL blow open if abused properly. Parts WILL scatter, and fluid will spill!
Officially off topic, off the tracks and down the hill around the bend...
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2014 at 1:29PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

as far as GM goes... Olds is a solid platform until you get into the late model 307 BS. lots of durability problems with the Buick design, head gaskets, oil pumps & cam bearings but I like the way they run before they get whipped out. a long time ago while I was between Fords I picked up a 80 Camaro in need, the PO & his 'mechanic' had screwed up at least 3 sbc's & were in the process of rigging a Buick 350/350 combo from a 72 Skylark into it. they had a foot of allthread through the chevy V6 frame pads and the Buick insulators. the fan was into the hood latch & the tail was barely on the crossmember out of position. they were gonna get a longer driveshaft...

luckily the Skylark was still there! I yanked the frame pads & placed them in the insulators, then set the trans & crossmember back where it belonged with the stock driveshaft in place & tightened the trans mount, the Buick fram pads were about 1/2 off the crossmember. nothing a couple of 1/2 thick mild steel plates won't fix

I drilled & tapped the plates for the Buick frame pads & leveled the engine in the bay, marked the holes up through the crossmember & drilled / tapped those. done deal the stock radiator went back in & the rest of the extra parts came out of the back seat. I can't remember where the Pontiac rallye's came from but they worked, blem T/A radials, Z hood scoop cut open for the 8" chrome cleaner on the custom built 2GC... I mixed & matched boosters & everything else until I had the smoothest running morphadite! my trans builder buddy built up what he used to call a 'snot locker' that trans would hit 2nd & put the car sideways if you were barely into it. LOTS of line pressure & no accumulator springs or waves, I wonder if he pinned the gov too?

alright enough of that crap
It is looking like many of us have some form of ADHD and quite keep focused on the original plan!! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2014 at 2:33PM
just throwin out an oddball swap that nature never intended that ended well

many times the details just come out in the wash like they were meant to be

I forgot the Z deck spoiler & rattle can Gunmetal Metalic paint job, the hood scoop was Satin Black. it was a darn good lookin 20'er

and the compression fitting P/S hose adapter, flare to O ring ya know...
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>