The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

factory exhaust system question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22truckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: factory exhaust system question
    Posted: 12-February-2014 at 3:51PM
Hi all,
Sorry, been a while.  For those that do not know.  I have a 1970 Torino fastback that is a factory "sleeper" car (no GT markings with unique rear end treatment).  Factory souped up 351C-4v.  Marty report staes they only made 631 of these.  It is 100% untouched original down to belts, hoses, plug wires, shocks and even the factory exhaust system.  Mufflers are date coded.  There is no rust at all. NONE ANYWHERE, even the springs and drive shaft are rust free.  My question is this:  The undercarrage has the factory gloss black finish, there is overspray of this black on the exhaust system, especially on the rear section.  Gas tank is black as well, but not on the shocks.  Has anyone ever noticed this????  This car has never been touched, never been driven in the rain. Looks brand new. The original owner was the head quality assurance guy for NASA.  He was over all Apollo missions and was the guy they called into the command center to get Apollo 13 back home.  Thanks for the help!
22truckie
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2014 at 5:58PM
??? my guess is that it may have been a special order car paint on the tank, blacked out, so maybe over spray on other areas, no paint on the shocks- they may have been assembled later after the extra black paint???
 cool story!!! post a few pics when you can! and welcomeThumbs Up  you are in wa.? where in wa.?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2014 at 6:39PM
Black gas tank does not sound correct. They were normally just stamped galvanized steel with no paint.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
22truckie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22truckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2014 at 8:59AM
I am in Lake Stevens WA, North of Seattle. With regards to the tank, I know that there were variations to how the undercarrages were finished depending when and where the car was produced. I have seen on muscle cars of this era the gas tank finished both ways (painted and unpainted). I saw on ebay a red Cobra Torino (mine is red as well)with the gloss black undercarriage and black gas tank and it was untouched as well. These cars were production cars and thus always had variations going down the line, including part numbers, assembly line markings (some had them others had only some of them , some had hardly any) Got to remember these were put together by guys, not robots so the variations happened. Nothing on the undercarriage of my car has ever been touched. Talked to the original owner and the brief second owner (I am the third). The car has 91,000 miles on it and would rival an untouched car with 5,000 miles on it. Maybe they had to do a touch up and resprayed the undercarriage at the factory??. Was just curious if anyone has ever seen factory black paint on the exhaust before. Also, has anyone ever seen a white inspection mark on the differential before?? Mine does not have one and know that was pretty common to do to indicate it was full of fluid and checked when on the line. Thanks and I will post pictures when I get a chance. First show for the car was last year and netted first place and was filmed on a national car TV show.
22truckie
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2014 at 3:53AM
I have never seen the black paint on the exhaust. Usually these cars were assembled with the pans done before tanks, suspension and exhaust were installed. Different factories had variances, but assembly procedures were pretty much across the board. Possibly a dealer touch-up before the car was sold, or maybe something done by the owner that had been forgotten over the years. Sounds like a beautiful example!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply