The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

retrofit hub/rotors ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: retrofit hub/rotors ?
    Posted: 16-February-2014 at 2:24PM
any idea what these hubs & rotors are from?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-1972-1973-FORD-TORINO-V8-5-LUG-BOLTON-FRONT-DISC-BRAKE-/201028294708?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ece385834&vxp=mtr
72 GT Ute

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2014 at 3:03PM
Looks like another case of mistaken identity.
The lumped the 70/71 in with the 72/73.

NOT for our cars.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2014 at 5:16PM
ya. They arn't for our cars but if you look at the ebay pictures that is a good way to get a different rotor on our hubs. The caliper bracket is the tricky part though.
-Billy Conturo
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2014 at 1:05AM
Here is what I have done to get bigger/better brakes:

I cut the original rotors off my Ranchero's hub/rotor, machined the outside diameter of the hub to fit the inside of the 2000 Ford Crown Vic rotors(one pic shows the rotor diameter differences). I then fabbed up brackets to fit the CV dual piston calipers to my Ranchero without harming the original spindles. This does require 16" or larger wheels but the benefits outweigh this requirement. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 17-February-2014 at 1:06AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2014 at 5:35AM
I ran across some Fordmuscle posts & I remember seeing it here, I have the same rotors on my Vic F & R... yeah they work!

not sure I'm ready to bite into fabbing on this one, & I plan to use 15x8 Mopar cop rallye's with baby moons. maybe the larger brakes will have to wait until the right parts come along, the factory caliper brackets mostly

basic fact is that at this point I need rotors & calipers anyway. the 74+ large rotors are cheaper & more available into the future(much less the small ones) than the 72 small rotors are now. I'd like to get my upper bushing shafts squared away with the post-March updated style because I think the old bushings are discontinued/obsolete? and the knuckles 74+

are both U & L ball joints the same from beginning production 1972 thru 1979?

72 GT Ute

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2014 at 6:29AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

are both U & L ball joints the same from beginning production 1972 thru 1979?

Only difference is that some early lower ball joints are bolt in, not press-in. Regul8r had posted some information on them somewhere here a couple of years ago for his 72. I would think overall there would be no performance or life length difference, but I bet the bolt-in ones become more difficult with the passing of time.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2014 at 7:01AM
(I plan to use 15x8 Mopar cop rallye's with baby moons.)

You'll like the way the Police Ralleys look and they cool the brakes well. I love mine.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2014 at 3:50PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I cut the original rotors off my Ranchero's hub/rotor, machined the outside diameter of the hub to fit the inside of the 2000 Ford Crown Vic rotors(one pic shows the rotor diameter differences). I then fabbed up brackets to fit the CV dual piston calipers to my Ranchero without harming the original spindles. This does require 16" or larger wheels but the benefits outweigh this requirement. Todd

That is awesome work! Torino guys don't need bolt on brake kits, they make their own kits!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2014 at 3:24PM

yeah the ball joints are the same and they are readily available as Ford used them for MANY years all the way back into the 60's.

I am using my 72 LCAs with the Bolt-ins so that I can replace and work on anywhere without worrying about a press.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2014 at 5:42PM
Nice Todd...here I thought I was the only one to do that!! lol 

Page #2 on my build thread details what I did.

Granted, I used junk yard parts and plate steel to fab up my stuff Wink 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2014 at 5:43PM
Your bracket looks a lot cleaner. I went nuts on mine.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2014 at 5:44PM
Side note, Baer Breaks makes a conversion for 74-76 spindles.

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2014 at 1:22AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Nice Todd...here I thought I was the only one to do that!! lol 

Page #2 on my build thread details what I did.

Granted, I used junk yard parts and plate steel to fab up my stuff Wink 

Andy, good to hear from you, I haven't seen a post of yours in quite a while. I believe we were doing the same conversion at about the same time, you were probably ahead of me though. I saw a thread where a fellow posted on Fordmuscle website talked about what he was attempting with a CV conversion but never saw the finished product. After installing a rear disc conversion from a 2000 CV onto my small bearing 9 3/8 housing out of a '72 Mark IV, I decided to go all CV with the brakes. I went further to upgrade the braking system with an Astro van hydroboost with a Corvette 1 1/8 MC(outputs on fender side, more clearance for the big block)and 4 wheel disc prop valve. How do you like the extra braking from the larger rotors? Once again glad to see you still kicking. Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2014 at 6:25AM
while searching I may've thought both of yours were the same
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2014 at 9:53AM

for reals?

Must be one of those fancy "it also fits our car" things. Wink

Please elaborate Andy....
-Billy Conturo
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2014 at 9:54AM
And awesome job guys...Clap
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2014 at 9:58AM

I didn't see any mention of any fitment for anything after 1971 on the Baer page
72 GT Ute

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2014 at 2:08PM

How do you like the extra braking from the larger rotors? Once again glad to see you still kicking. Todd

Oh, I learned with the 73 Lincoln dual diaphragm booster and 76 Tbird master cylinder the first time I hit the brakes it taught me I need to wear a seat belt. I went into the windshield and had a good chest imprint of the steering wheel.

Regarding the big brake kit, for the life of me now I can not find a reference on Wilwood or Baer Brakes.

I would need to call to find out who was making the kit.

Adapts to 74-76 Spindles, comes with a pair of wheel hubs, rotors, caliper adapter brackets and I want to say 4 or 6 piston caliper choices.
I've not been worried about it honestly as I've been pretty covered.

If I do anything thing, I'll just swap to my big bearing 9" and install my 11x2.5" NOS drums I've had sitting in storage all this time.

mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2019 at 12:50PM

Hello, do you have any measurements from this mod still? I'm interested in trying this to improve braking ability after they get hot. 
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2019 at 2:37PM
Sad to say not one drawing or plans were drawn up when doing this upgrade, although there may have been a napkin or back on an envelope used Wink, just don't have either any longer. Sorry not to be much help. I can tell you I had to have the hubs cut from rotors then turned on lathe and ready for CV rotors BEFORE any caliper mounting brackets could be fabbed up.

mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2019 at 5:00PM
yeah, I figured it was a long shot. I guess you made the brackets after so you could measure the offset? I would think that this would move the wheel mounting surface outward the thickness of the rotor?
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2019 at 10:36AM
I have the front spindle, bearings, and hubs 3d scanned into cad and built my brake kit from it. I’d have to dig up the file but I know I still have it somewhere
-Billy Conturo
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2019 at 11:10AM
Originally posted by mkshelton mkshelton wrote:

yeah, I figured it was a long shot. I guess you made the brackets after so you could measure the offset? I would think that this would move the wheel mounting surface outward the thickness of the rotor?

Yes, need the finished hub to correctly fab up the caliper mounting bracket to centrally locate the caliper to the rotor once rotor is attached/torqued to hub. The CV rotor's wheel mounting surface moves the wheel outward about 5/16" as compared to factory specs. 

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2019 at 11:20AM
Every time I see this, I am amazed at the quality and time you guys put into those conversions.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2019 at 6:02PM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

I have the front spindle, bearings, and hubs 3d scanned into cad and built my brake kit from it. I’d have to dig up the file but I know I still have it somewhere

Thanks, but did you have new spindles made? That is a bit more than I would like to go for. I don't think there is any shop around here that has more than basic lathes.
whmitchell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whmitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2019 at 12:07AM
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 7:57AM
Originally posted by mkshelton mkshelton wrote:

Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

Thanks, but did you have new spindles made? That is a bit more than I would like to go for. I don't think there is any shop around here that has more than basic lathes.

No, not at all, I used the stock spindles but there was no way I could mock it all physically just with trial and error. The calipers i used are huge. They barely fit under 17” wheels. I basically made a bracket exactly like the ones shown here just a little more complex. I cut it on a water jet I think. Can’t really remember now.
-Billy Conturo
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2019 at 6:33PM
oh Okay. Thanks Billy. If you can find that file I would be interested in looking at it. Even just some basic screen shots would be useful. Might be helpful for future projects as well.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2019 at 7:44AM
I sent my PDF copies of my original brackets to Mark Lachance for his Cougar project to adapt and cutting information pertaining to turning Torino rotors into hubs.

I need to dig out this information.

And of course, do so at your own risk, do not broil on high, Twinkies deep fried are questionable at best, and other legal mumbo jumbo. And I had a theft the other weekend. My mambo pole got taken. Who knew they could go so low?
{sorry. Had to toss that in there}

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2019 at 7:54AM
I found it.
PM me and I can email a copy to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>