Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor Recommendation
    Posted: 20-February-2014 at 10:37AM
I finally got the seized distributor out of my 400, and even did so without out destroying it. I used a slide hammer in combination with a puller and after many solid hits it finally came out. The stock distributor is part# C8VF-12131-B. It has the dual port vacuum advance on it. I am assuming the dual port was for the Transmission regulated spark control?

I am thinking of upgrading this distributor, getting rid of the points and getting rid of the TRS spark system. I am not really interested in adding an ignition box, just a modern distributor that allows easy tuning, and is reliable.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2014 at 11:19AM
I like my Mallory Unilite, the modules are not idiot proof though. only trouble I ever had was when I added a battery in series rather than parallel w/o isolating the ignition

Crane & somebody else has a digital externally adjustable distributor I'd like to try
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2014 at 11:45AM
i used one of those aftermarket HEI style distributors in my 351w, simple 1 positive ignition wire to hook up, came complete , new ,billet, paid about $80, works fine!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2014 at 12:16PM
The local speed shop guy is recommending MSD or just swapping a Pertonix in the stock distributor. I will have to look at the Mallory and HEI units.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Distributors/Ford/Ready-to-Run/E-Curve/8350_-_Ford_351C-460_Ready-To-Run_Pro-Billet_Distributor.aspx
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2014 at 12:23PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2014 at 12:49PM
I'm looking at the Pertronix Plug and Play dist. That, a new coil and a set of wires are on tap once the weather breaks. 

That said, its about $200 more expensive than what CaliJony pointed out.  Thats tempting.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2014 at 2:05PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I will have to look at the Mallory and HEI units

the $50 ebay billet dizzy is 99.9% guaranteed to burn out within 6 minutes. not a bad place to start but plan on replacing the module with a quality unit

make sure you look at your intake manifold & air cleaner to see if they'll work with the HEI cap Ginormity

I've seen quite a few OMG installs, one the owner claimed was a Pertronix complete dizzy but I couldn't confirm. he may've been sold an ebay special & paid for a Pertronix? it would only ALMOST fit in one spot, then the intake & dizzy housing had to both be ground on for clearance to let it sit down into place... in this car, 36 Dodge with a 351C-2V / FMX / 9" from a 73 Mustang IIRC. note the Windosr T-stat housing, this guy's mechanic was a real Wizard

here it is

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-February-2014 at 2:10PM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2014 at 3:53PM
too bad, that's a sweet lookin' coupe
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2014 at 7:53PM
Mallory Unilites have never failed me. Strongly recommended.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 2:42AM
I forgot how big the GM HEI units are, so I may avoid that option. I doubt I'd have the clearance as even the smaller stock distributor is pretty tight. Plus, I'd like to keep something more stock looking.

It sounds like the Mallory Unilites are decent from what you guys are saying. I take it they can be run as a stand alone without a box?

Anyone have experience with Pertronix? If they are decent, it might be an ideal solution to keep the stock look. The Igniter III claims to be as good as a "box" ignition without the box. Looks like they also sell entire distributor assemblies too:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/pertronix-distributor-flame-thrower-female-cap-billet-ignitor-iii-351c-and-429-and-460-1969-1973/p/DIST24/

Edited by 72FordGTS - 21-February-2014 at 2:44AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 2:50AM
I bought a Mallory setup from a member here and have ZERO complaints. Cured a lot of "Timing and Carb" issues.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
PS122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 2:55AM
I've been considering the 'Jeg's SSR Billet' distributor for my 351W.  I strongly suspect that it is made by Pertronix (whom has a great reputation).  I even looked at the instructions for the Jeg's unit and the Pertronix Flame-Thrower Billet unit (w/ Ignitor II) and it looks like they pretty much just did a word replace using "JEGS SSR" instead of "Flame-Thrower".

Here's a link to the Jeg's distributor for 335 & 385 series engines:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/40056/10002/-1?parentProductId=
Joe
'76 S&H Gran Torino
http://starskytorino.com/joes/joes.html
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 6:40AM
Seems the Mallory are pretty well liked here.  I will have to see if my local speed shop carries them, I know he can get MSD and Pertronix.  I prefer to deal with him over mail order, and he is one of the best tune-up guys I know.

One other thing, has anyone had issues running the factory tach with the aftermarket distributor?
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 7:02AM
Hmmm. Good question. My application has no tach.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 7:13AM
With msd you need a tach adapter and there is more wiring involved. Don't know about the others. ...-Rick-
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 8:22AM
the topic doesn't pop up in the FAQ, http://info.mallory-ignition.com/support/faq.html
and you'll definitely want to read that if you choose the Unilite

but I found a schematic on this AMC board
http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1238709242
that suggests it's possible with a Unilite but not a magnetic pick-up

here's a search on the Mallory page of the available dizzies

available dizzies I think the 2nd from the bottom is the one you'd want?

here's theinstall instructions

in a 72 Ford you'd use
FIGURE 2 UNILITE® WIRING DIAGRAM USING OEM PRIMARY RESISTANCE WIRE
as a starting point

Edited by Rockatansky - 21-February-2014 at 8:46AM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 12:28PM
the early two wire tachs run inline of the positive wire supply to the coil,  since that dizzy uses a separate coil, it should work, because the electronic dist. is basically breaking contact with the negative supply at the coil, which in turn causes the coil to fire. so if you used your pos. from your coil and connected it to the pos. supply of an aftermarket performance coil, it (the tach) should work the same.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2014 at 7:51PM
Mallory Unilite and factory tach were no issues.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 12:59PM
Just ordered the Pertronix Flame thrower II Dist.  No spark box needed.  Also ordered a chrome Pertronix coil and some 8mm Summit wires.  

I'm thinking spring baby !!
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2014 at 4:16AM
Thanks guys for all the great info. Hopefully I will get something on order this week.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2014 at 1:41PM
My 351C has a Pertronix Flamethrower II distributor, as soon as you take it out of the box you can tell it´s a quality piece.
Easy installation, works with factory tach.
When I had my carburetor tuned up,  the dyno guy asked me what distributor this was, he said the accuracy of the distributor is exceptional. Well, to me what matters the most is the reliability. I already had good experience with a Pertronix module inside the old Autolite distributor, so it helped on decision when I was selecting a new distributor.
Plus a black cap was available, certain brands only come with red caps which I´m not so fond of Smile

Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2014 at 2:37PM
Aatu, have you had the opportunity to test fit a GM point style cap on the Pertronics base?
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2014 at 3:40PM
Aatu,

thanks for that post about the Pertronix Distributor. I like the fact that they are black and look semi-stock, since I am going for a stock look with my car. It is definitely one of the distributors I am considering. Did the distributor come with any extra springs to tune the mechanical advance? Are you not using the vacuum advance on your car?
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2014 at 12:28PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

Aatu, have you had the opportunity to test fit a GM point style cap on the Pertronics base?

The cap in the picture is a GM/HEI/male style cap, speaking of terminals. The distributor came with female/socket style cap, but when I bought a new set of ignition wires, I also bought a cap with HEI style terminals.
It gives a bit more space between wire boots, and holds them down better (IMO).
The swap of caps was simple replacement.

Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Aatu,
thanks for that post about the Pertronix Distributor. I like the fact that they are black and look semi-stock, since I am going for a stock look with my car. It is definitely one of the distributors I am considering. Did the distributor come with any extra springs to tune the mechanical advance? Are you not using the vacuum advance on your car?

It comes with extra springs. I´m not using the vacuum advance, the distributor can be used either vacuum or mechanically advanced.

Edited by SininenIII - 24-February-2014 at 1:40PM
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2014 at 4:50PM
Aatu, While I love Mallory Unilites, they do only come with red caps, which is certainly a negative thing.

I love your distributor. Not only does it have a black cap, but it has the quarter turn fasteners for mounting, not the snap-clips. 

Very impressive.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2014 at 2:16AM
Agreed. I dislike my red cap, and really don't like snap clips (such a pain in tight spots and I feel like I'm going to poke a hole in the cap removing them sometimes).
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2014 at 5:29AM
Red cap?

what Red cap?

I don't see no Red cap!

I ain't got no stinkin Red cap!

Capoflage

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2014 at 9:32AM
^ What is that carburetor?
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2014 at 10:48AM
Predator carb, based off the Kendig

http://www.tlawebstuff.com/kendig.htm
72 GT Ute

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2014 at 11:08AM

I plan to get one of these for the Torino. I ordered the wrong plug wires, but I found this and was pleasantly surprised.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>