Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2014 at 3:21PM
I used to have that Mustang distributor boot on my car too. My dad put it on years ago because water would sometime drip from the hood scoop onto the distributor and cause ignition problems in the rain.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2014 at 3:39PM
that's the main reason I use it, if the open scoop holes weren't enough I cut the top of the GT hood open for the 2x4 T-ram

that way once I pulled all the plugs & pumped the cylinders out it'd fire right off!
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2014 at 10:33AM
Had that in an 87 Crown Vic. Car sat a lot and the @#%&@#@!!! wasps turned it into condos... Sucks when you don't know they're there and you pull it open. One of those occasions where you invent new swear words because the old ones just aren't good enough.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
sabatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2014 at 1:04PM
I am running a stock rebuilt distributor with the Pertronix module. works outstanding. I wanted to go with the Pertronix billet distributor as well, and discovered it is too tall to fit under the stock air cleaner, and I wanted a 1000% stock look.
As a result, I have the Pertronix distributor with black cap, new in the box for sale. $250 delivered. PM for more information.
73 GTS 351 4V Q Code
Blue Glow/Blue Int
1 of 1
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2014 at 2:02PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Had that in an 87 Crown Vic. Car sat a lot and the @#%&@#@!!! wasps turned it into condos... Sucks when you don't know they're there and you pull it open. One of those occasions where you invent new swear words because the old ones just aren't good enough.

LOLLOLLOL!!! i know EXACTLY what you mean!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 2:31AM
Oh yes, me too. I sawzalled through a rocker that had a large active nest in it, Cut right through the center of it. Things are going through your mind so quickly..."Drop the saw/run/don't trip on the cords/don't get cut on all the jagged metal surrounding you/run more/watch your head/OUCH/DAMMIT/OUCHOUCHOUCH they're all over meeee"

Then..."I hate that car."
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 7:01AM
I started keeping a can of spray strategically located near the garage door opening, they really like the eaves & soffit vents on the rows of garages here. at some point during the season they start building their little nests everywhere & for some reason The Man won't spray them so I do. i'll bet there's a lot of big nests up in the rafters
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 8:29AM
Originally posted by sabatona sabatona wrote:

I am running a stock rebuilt distributor with the Pertronix module. works outstanding. I wanted to go with the Pertronix billet distributor as well, and discovered it is too tall to fit under the stock air cleaner, and I wanted a 1000% stock look.
As a result, I have the Pertronix distributor with black cap, new in the box for sale. $250 delivered. PM for more information.

That's a good point about the fit. I too am going for a the stock look and want to use the factory air cleaner. If these aftermarket distributors are that much taller than the OEM, I may be stuck using an OEM style distributor with a Pertronix module.

Where did you get your stock rebuild? I know I can get Cardone rebuilds, but their quality is always hit and miss.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 8:19AM
After doing some more reading I think I am going to stick with a stock distributor with a Pertronix. I didn't realize how much taller aftermarket billet distributors were then the stock units. Plus, I want to keep the car stock looking.

I am thinking of using the Pertronix Ignitor III. Anyone have any experience?

And if anyone has any input on a good rebuild stock distributor, please let me know. My original has too many miles on it to be reused even with a Pertronix install.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2014 at 4:05PM
After more reading I think I may just go for a Pertonix 1 for simplicity sake. I am reading about issues with the Pertronix not getting 12 volts due to the resistance wire. I am hesitant to alter my factory wiring, and I also like the idea of having the points in the trunk in case the Pertronix ever fails.

I was reading on some Mustang forums that they use the throttle solenoid wire for the red wire on the Pertronix. I have a throttle solenoid wire sitting unplugged now. Could I not just hook up my coil with the factory harness and use the throttle solenoid wire to supply the 12 volts to the Pertronix?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2014 at 5:37PM
if i understand this correctly/and what you are asking,the pertronix unit requires a separate /independent power supply from the coil power? then yes, as long as the solenoid wire has zero voltage when the key is off, and  12 volts when in the on/run position. you also may need 12 volts there  while in the start position (for it to fire when cranking the engine to start.) if you have the two wire starter solenoid , you can run a wire from the "I" terminal to the throttle solenoid wire, so you have voltage there while starting the engine. make sense ?      hope this helps!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2014 at 1:25AM
From Pertronix instructions it shows that an alternative wiring shows that instead of bypassing the resistor wiring, you can use any 12 volt ignition source to power the Pertronix. From what I have been reading, many people get away with running the Pertronix through the resistance wire, but it really should have 12 volts.

See figure b in the instructions:

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/1281.pdf

From the Mustang threads I have read, guys are using stock style coils and powering the Pertronix (the red wire) with the throttle solenoid harness. It apparently gets power during the run and start positions. I would "assume" this in the same for the Torinos, but I am not sure which is why I asked here. The coil is still powered by the factory harness with the resistance wire. This also keeps the voltage to the Tachometer running through the resistance wire, because 12 volts will fry it.

This thread here talks about the wiring:

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=53401.0
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2014 at 1:56AM
sounds like your plan should work fine!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2014 at 8:04AM
I hope it will.  If anyone else has input, please let me know.  I can't find the throttle solenoid on the wiring diagram, so I am not sure if it is ignition and start hot like the Mustangs.

On a good note, the local speed shop owner says he can most likely rebuild my stock distributor.   Anyone know of a good quality coil that looks OEM?  I still have a yellow top motorcraft, that is likely original to the car.  I heard some of the repro yellow tops aren't very reliable. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2014 at 11:09AM
I think I found the throttle solenoid on the wiring diagram (it's called the emission solenoid), and it does use the same red-green wire for power. However, it looks like it runs through a 4 amp fuse first. I suspect that this may not be enough for the Pertronix unit.

So maybe my next best option it to use a relay. I think I should be able to run a wire off the pos coil post to a relay, and then use the other side to supply 12 volts to the Pertronix. This way my tach won't see an increase in voltage, and I can still run a stock style coil (for now). And if I need to switch back to points no damage was done to the wiring.

Thoughts?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
68hardtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68hardtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2014 at 7:35AM
I have a mallory just taking up space, that would work
I,ll let it go cheap if you want.I can send pics just let me know
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2014 at 2:16PM
Thanks for the offer, but I already have a Pertronix on order. I decided that the aftermarket distributors are too different from stock for my liking.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 4:56AM
looks stock to me?

72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 5:06AM
4 quadrajets on an olds??? "crazy man, crazy" Wacko
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12