The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accel coil packs for '04 4.6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accel coil packs for '04 4.6
    Posted: 26-February-2014 at 4:33PM
Thinking of going with a set of Accel coil packs for my 2004 Grand Marquis. One or 2 of the current stock coils are going bad. Anybody use the Accels? Heard mixed reviews. Could sure use some feedback!!!Thanks all!!!
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2014 at 5:21PM
i don't get into the newer cars! but, a while back my younger step brother was here visiting, and lost a coil pack in his expedition, he went to the local ford dealer here, they didn't have one in stock, and told him it was well over $100 each (they wouldn't even give him a discount-- he works at a ford dealer where he lives several hours away) i suggested he try accel, just for the cost difference alone. just my 2 cents
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 6:53AM
I put in a set of ebay coils many years ago now, IIRC about $200 at the time

they're down around $50 a set now

the ones I got are Identical to the stock ones down to the little area where the part number on them goes, except the Ford number isn't there

due to the inherently short life expectancy of the Coil On Plug design, I can't see paying more than you have to unless it's a forced induction application that requires extra spark power. the little boogers don't last forever, or even a darn long time for that matter. even factory quality(some say especially) coils can & do fail at any given moment
72 GT Ute

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 1:30PM
PM sent
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 3:42PM
From past experience, Don't run it with bad coils, The cat convertors overheat , Plug up and warps exhaust manifolds, Gets spendy fast
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 4:48PM
Thanks for the info guys! My Merc has developed a miss; my buddy who has extensive Ford experience took one look at it and said it was coil/coils going bad. No check engine light, but she's running rough and gas mileage down by at least 3 mpg. Was considering the Accels as a replacement/upgrade. Not sure where to pursue it from here. Anyway to tell which coil/coils are bad (no check engine light) without just swapping in and out? Car has 47k on it; I bought it a year ago; was an elderly couple's car and only had 27k on it. I don't want to just throw money at it, on the other hand, I gotta go to work in it, so I can't just play with it. Not sure which way to go now!!!
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 9:19AM
it's gotta be the simplest engine to diagnose!

all you have to do is disconnect the plug from each coil with the motor running. if the disconnect doesn't cause it to run worse than it was connected, you've found a fail. same with the injectors.

to determine if it's the coil or injector you need to move one of them to a known good cylinder, pretty sure the coil is easier to move. if you move the coil & the miss follows the coil, it's the coil. if the miss remains at the original cylinder with the same injector & a known good coil, it's either the injector, spark plug or a mechanical engine issue. at that point you can swap injectors to eliminate or qualify the injector as the problem.

how many miles?

has it ever had plugs?

the spring in the boot can also be a problem, as well as the boot itself can be burnt through
72 GT Ute

Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 1:05PM
My 04 has 46k on it, never had plugs. Heard from other guys that disconnecting the coils while the car is running is hard on the ecm. So I'm back to the swap in, swap out method?
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 5:42PM
could be hard on the ECM? but that's not gonna stop any service mechanic from doing it. time is $ & it's fast, not like all you do all day / everyday is disconnect the coils & injectors

if it was my car bouncing & shakin I'd grab a set of coils off the 'bay & a set of plugs & tear into it. yeah, the plugs alone are controversial, make sure you use anti-seize & be careful on the torque. if the plug comes loose you'll end up in the same place as if you twist the threads out of it on purpose. a loose plug will wobble in the threads for a time until it tears them out & takes off like a rocket

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-February-2014 at 9:29PM
72 GT Ute

Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 6:03PM
Ok. Will try set of coils first on assumption 47 thou mile plug are ok. Sound good? Or do the plugs at the same time, too?
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 9:33PM
!@#$%^& lost my post +)*(&^%$%#@#@!

mine had about 60 k on the clock when I got, just had new plugs I found when I did my coils

I wouldn't want to do the coils just to find out in a short time that it wants plugs too, not that it's like a killer to work on but I don't like doing stuff twice unless I want to. I guess that's what I have my junkbucket for
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply