The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pulley alignment on 302

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneypit68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pulley alignment on 302
    Posted: 20-March-2014 at 3:26PM
I have a 1968 302 that I'm having trouble getting the pulleys to line up.I bought an aftermarket aluminum radiator with the bottom inlet on the drivers side.I installed a water pump for a 1969 and up because the inlet is on the drivers side.It is 0.28" longer than the stock 1968 pump.My pulleys are March pulleys with two grooves on the water pump and three grooves on the crank pulley (3 hole).Does anyone make a 3 hole 0.28" crank pulley spacer?Any help appreciated.  
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2014 at 4:41PM
i took a quick look and didn't find anything that thin or for a 3 bolt, you could try a local machine shop they should be able to make you one from billet alum. stock
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
moneypit68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneypit68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2014 at 5:21PM
Thanks for the info.Every spacer that I found was too thick.I'm having a machine shop make me one.I,m building this Cyclone for my wife.Her dad bought it new and it's been stored in the barn since 1982.This is my first Foed restoration and it's been a real learning experience for me.I had a 1970 429 built for it first.I couldn't find a big enough shoe horn to get it in the car.I learned the hard and expensive way the difference between a FE and a 385 series engine.With the bell housing against the firewall the engine was still about two inches too far forward and there wasn't room for the headers.I have a never fired $3900.00 429 and a set of custom made $490.00 headers for sale if anyone is interested !!!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2014 at 6:47PM
the 429-- post it in the for sale section, see what happens? i had a similar problem with pulleys on my vette, i thought i could save a buck buying cheaper billet chev pulleys instead of the billet vette set, i spaced the balancer out away from the crank, i may just buy the right ones later.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply