The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70 1/2 FALCON/TORINO unibody stiffeners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DODSONRACING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 1/2 FALCON/TORINO unibody stiffeners
    Posted: 07-June-2014 at 6:10AM
Hello, New to this site and forums in general but I have attempted to find some information via an extensive web search and have come up dry.

So here's my issue/question.
we are in the process of building a 1970 1/2 Ford Falcon, which is nothing more than a rebadged Torino. this car will be equipped with a modified 385 series 460 backed by a C6 auto.
The vehicle was a factory in line 6,althought the 385 series block was available as an option, the concern being torque damaging the uni-body.

Anyone have experience with dealing with this issue?
reinforcement design or a vender who supplies a reinforcement kit.

any assistance will be greatly appreciated, thank you
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2014 at 9:09AM
The '70-71s did come from the factory with 429 BBF motors. You could always bolt/weld in a sub-frame connector, however you will most likely have to build your own.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/torino-pages/501698-subframe-connectors-71-71-a.html

You have to build em to drive em!
MZ 500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ 500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2014 at 4:20AM
Here are some old pics that show how they go on (not my car) and some that I made for someone.

71 Torino Hard Top (Project)
MZ 500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ 500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2014 at 4:36AM
found the drawing...

71 Torino Hard Top (Project)
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2015 at 12:02PM
Great post. Thanks for the blue prints. I was just getting ready to build a pair for my Ranchero but wasn't quit sure of how I was going to do it.Your drawings are a big help.
Greg
Greg
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2015 at 1:44PM
Hi
 I just installed the connectors on the 71 Ranchero.
They needed to be a little shorter then the plans called for. I wound up with 57 and 3/4 inch long connectors. The passenger side fit and welded in perfect and didn't take any time at all.
The drivers side was another story all though it wasn't hard it was different.
The speedo cable and emergencery brake cable had to be removed so I could grind flat the factory flanges the factory punched in the frame for the cables to run though. The connector won't mate up right without these being ground down at least on my car. Took about 20 minutes.i also had to cut a notch in the top of the connector about 15 inchs long to clear the floor pan brace and seat support. Not a big problem.
I will go out in the morning and box it in.
It took me about 4 hours to cut the rails and get everything welded in and I expect to spend about 2 more hours boxing everything in and grinding the welds smooth.
This is a easy modification and if you have basic skills you will have no problem doing it on your car.
Don't know how to post pictures so didn't take any.
Greg
Greg
John calabrese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John calabrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 2:19PM
Hi I am new to the Forum but I have a 1970 Torino convertible GT with the 429 I am wondering if anybody knows anyone that sells or makes Anna rocker panels for this particular car cannot find them anywhere I like the article about the unibody stiffeners your help would be greatly appreciated thank you
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2019 at 3:47AM
Hi John

I talked to Auto Metal Direct and they are tooling up body parts for the Torino's. No timeline but you can expect a couple year wait for your part need's.
I would build my own or find a parts car [good luck with that].
Wish I could help you.
Greg
Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply