The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raised rear shocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raised rear shocks
    Posted: 08-June-2014 at 8:41AM
Put Wagon springs and/or spacers on your 72-79 car to raise the rear up?
Our stock shocks will be topped out, extended to the max and give a hard clunk as you go over a bump from the shock banging at full extension!
So, what do we do to fix that? You will need shock extenders, a Wesley Porter style raised shock bracket or other creative way to raise the lower shock mount.

NOT ANYMORE!!!
From FB...
Rob Norton-- I also used to have air shocks. They kept breaking so no more for me. I use Monroe shocks off a 2000 lightning truck. Same bolt up. Only longer shock. They are great.
Carl N Dee Corey-- Great info Rob! Thanks! Tell me more about the Lightning shocks. BTW... Leslie's brackets are not made to raise the car. They are made so that when you raise the car with wagon springs or spacers the shocks will still work. You need longer shocks when you do that so they are not at full extension just sitting there like mine are! These brackets are better than those cheap screw on shock extenders that break. So I would love to know how much longer the Lightning shocks are!!!?
Rob Norton-- The lightning shocks are about an inch and a half to two inches if I remember correctly. I went into the parts store about a year ago and had them pull about 10 different shocks from trucks and that was the perfect fit.

SO, now I'll be able to replace the shocks and have no further issues!!!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73 Baby Gran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Baby Gran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 1:40PM
My air shocks have been on since 76. Just an off brand el-cheap-o's couldn't afford the good ones back then!
One of Fords better ideas!
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2014 at 5:50AM
Carl,

What's the Monroe shock part number? There is no 2000 Lightning listed in the on-line Monroe e catalog, but a web search shows p/n 37132..... Is that the correct shock?

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-June-2014 at 7:28AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2014 at 11:43AM
You'd have to look up a 2000 Ford F-150.
Lightning is the sub-Model of the F-150

I don't have the part number just the interchange info
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2014 at 12:25PM
length isn't the only issue, it needs to work with the spring. A soft spring with a stiff shock, or soft shock with a stiff spring, is generally a miserable ride.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2014 at 8:57PM
Great info. I have a new set of Moog Wagon springs I have been intending to use. I was not having any luck finding the old type shock extenders. I have a 99 f150 so going to crawl under it and eye it all up.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2014 at 1:48PM
I am wondering if I can match the stroke,compressed length and extended length of the truck shock if there is an adjustable racing type shock available....might even entertain the idea of a coil over shock or dual stage coil over.....something that I can dial in as far as ride.
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply