The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering
    Posted: 14-June-2014 at 2:11AM
Thinking of changing pump and box.Parts stores do not tell ratio ( why isent this thing spell checking for me)only sag or ford.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2014 at 2:44AM
My '75 and '79 Ford shop manuals state that the steering gear ratio's are as follows: Saginaw-17.5 to 1 Ford-17 to 1. Both boxes are shown to have 4 turns lock to lock, though the Ford box should have less turns due to a slightly faster ratio. I do not know of any changes in ratios for the Ford steering gear, the Saginaw steering gear has many options available. Hope this helps. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 14-June-2014 at 2:46AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2014 at 3:53AM
seemed on here most mentioned the saginaw over ford.In 79 ford did not use it only ford.Well I am going to try pump first.Got lights fig. out just don't know to go seal beam or semi sealed.These have replacement bulb.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2014 at 3:01PM
Yeah,OK you can read and/or believe that all you want but my '79 1/2 (06/79) Ranchero came stock with a Saginaw steering box. I do not know where you received your info concerning the steering gearbox applications for a 1979 Ford from but it seems to be incorrect. Just saying. Todd

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 12:08AM
Could be because they used the sag in trucks up into the 80's.Then again what ford said and did were too different things.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 1:19AM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

Could be because they used the sag in trucks up into the 80's.Then again what ford said and did were too different things.

I have owned quite a few 80's and up Ford F-series trucks(Bronco-F350's) and as far as I know/remember they have all came equipped with the Ford steering box. I did not know and/or realize Ford even used a Saginaw gearbox in an 80's F-series. I know while searching through junkyards trying to locate parts, I have seen a few '79 LTD IIs/T-birds with a Saginaw steering box installed, but most of the late 70's intermediates came with the Ford steering box installed(by a wide margin). You are 100% correct with your second statement, sometimes it makes me wonder how and/or why Ford did what they did back in the 70's. Todd

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 6:54AM
Thats why you believe nothing you read and half of what you see.
 Post Reply Post Reply