The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

@&$!%$@& Headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 6:45AM
I'm not gonna jump on the thread locker or safety wire wagon right off, I have a feeling there's some amount of heat cycle expansion / relaxation of the gaskets... you'll want to snug down new gaskets at some point early on in their life maybe a couple times or more?

on those hard to reach bolts even the Stage 8 C-clips would be a bear to do a snugger with a BBF

I could do a snugger with a 3/8 combo wrench in about 6 minutes on the 351C 

has anyone ever gotten a set of header gaskets to last more than a couple months?

does anyone think it's possible to use a high rate spring loaded bolt set-up, or would the heat kill the springs?

bellevilles ?

Edited by Rockatansky - 03-August-2014 at 6:52AM
72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 6:53AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

I'm not gonna jump on the thread locker wagon right off, I have a feeling there's some amount of heat cycle expansion / relaxation of the gaskets... you'll want to snug down new gaskets at some point early on in their life maybe a couple times or more?

on those hard to reach bolts even the Stage 8 C-clips would be a bear to do a snugger with a BBF

I could do a snugger with a 3/8 combo wrench in about 6 minutes on the 351C 

has anyone ever gotten a set of header gaskets to last more than a couple months?

The set I posted pics of were about 3 years old, no leaks, but only about 5-6K miles. Just saw on Powerblock today that Mr. Gasket makes a header gasket using dead-soft aluminum, looked OK just didn't give a lot of info on them.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 6:54AM
ARP 400-1105 and ARP 400-1106 are six point header bolts (0.750 and 0.875 lengths) that are pre-drilled for safety wire (also known as lock wire). They do not have the recessed hex head like some of the others, but since I can get a pair on now (non pre-drilled ARP header bolts) this should work. I can see putting the safety wire on in some of the locations being possibly problematic because of the space limitations. Otherwise a reasonable solution.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 8:34AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I just saw on Powerblock today that Mr. Gasket makes a header gasket using dead-soft aluminum, looked OK just didn't give a lot of info on them.

Click Here to see these gaskets for sale, but it says that they are out of stock right now.

Click Here to see another seller that sells them, but it says that they are out of stock right now.

Edited by dave302 - 03-August-2014 at 10:32AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 9:21AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

This is another option to keep the bolts tight, just not sure of the quality:

Click Here to see these bolts for sale.

Edited by dave302 - 03-August-2014 at 9:23AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 12:57PM

does anyone think it's possible to use a high rate spring loaded bolt set-up, or would the heat kill the springs?

Click Here to see this item for sale.

Bellevilles?

Click Here to see this item for sale.

MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2014 at 4:13AM
Weird. I've always run the Hookers. Never had a problem. They seal & stay tight when u us good reusable gaskets. I can get all my bolts in & out & change gaskets in the car no problem. And that's on both race cars. Sorry, just lucky I guess.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2014 at 3:38PM
ULTRA COPPER on ALL exhaust gaskets I have installed in the last 20 years!!
NEVER put an exhaust gasket on without it! You could also use a touch of ULTRA BLUE around the ports on the flange itself to ensure it fills any voids THEN with the Ultra Copper and a good gasket... no issues.

As for header bolts... I too have never had any issues with just bolts and lock washers.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2014 at 8:03PM
Just an afterthought, are you using the Ford mounts, or Crites mounts. The Crites mounts drop the motor about an inch to the frame/crossmember. One of the primarys on the driver's side is pretty much resting on the crossmember. Which would make it ever more of a pain to get in. It seems the headers have clearanced themselves in a couple spots. For what it's worth, I used those Remflex gaskets, with ARP header bolts, and haven't had an issue. I know they leak a tiny bit, but it's no worse than what it was the day I bolted the headers back up. No Locktite, and no Permatex for me. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12